Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 124 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
that episode was all over the place, with not much actually happening. still enjoyed it, tho.

I'm not sure if that is going to change

there are so many different stories going on now that it seems the most episode time a character will have within 1 episode is ~5 minutes at the max

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I finished last a feast for crows last night. I didn't find it as boring as people said. Brienne's story line really drew me in, especially with the action. It will be interesting how the series approaches the cersei plot.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Awwwwwwwww man, that sucks about Jaime, i was hoping to see a few epic battles with him before he got his just desert, but OTOH, maybe this is good character development for him.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I finished last a feast for crows last night. I didn't find it as boring as people said. Brienne's story line really drew me in, especially with the action. It will be interesting how the series approaches the cersei plot.

I think it's just the slowest read of the 5 books, especially coming off ASOS. IMO, it really picked up about halfway through.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Can someone explain what's going on beyond the wall? Is Mance Rayder going to war against White Walkers? The Night's Watch? The entire North? I can't really grasp their intentions.

He wants to get his people South of the Wall because the Others are becoming more active and dangerous. Some members of the Nights Watch hate the Wildlings so much that they don't care if there is a common enemy that they might unite with the Wildlings against.

Jon is a bit more pragmatic about that by the end of book seasons 3 & 4 are based on. And a lot more so before book 5 is done.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Seriously what was that? I thought I had a pop up or something until I paused it and realized it was the show.
just a modernized rendition of The Bear and the Maiden Fair, which we finally heard sung earlier in this episode

The conversations between Dani, the translator, and the slave master guy are hilarious. Is that how they went down in the book or did they just add that for TV?
yeah, that's basically how things went,
and things are going to get even better once the sale transaction is finalized if the show keeps following the book basically, Danny never needed the translator in the first place, totally pwning the slave master

I really like the way Theon's *escape* turned out...

The would be rapist calling the archer "you bastard"...

it's gonna be awesome how this develops. :awe:
yeah, this is one of the ways where the show seems to be deviating a bit from the book, although we don't really even see this POV perspective from Theon at this point in the story, so it could end up being closer than we think

By now Sam should have
been Sam the Slayer

:/
I think its working out ok
at this point I think they're trying to save time, so we're likely going to have the mutiny and a white walker attack all at once and we'll see Sam become "the Slayer" and escape with Gilly and her baby all at once

The one thing they did change, that didn't make sense is how much money she had. In the books she was using Illyrio's ships and had enough cargo to afford 1,000 soldiers. In the show, she could only afford 10, without selling the ship. Why would Jorah tell her to buy soldiers there if she only had enough gold for 10? She should have had enough gold to buy more.
yeah, IIRC a lot of her wealth came from Xaro Xhoan Daxos, of which the show kind of wrote him out of the picture, at any rate its not that important

Buying all the slaves in Astapor could change your ass to poor!
Unsullied are worth every penny ;)

Can someone explain what's going on beyond the wall? Is Mance Rayder going to war against White Walkers? The Night's Watch? The entire North? I can't really grasp their intentions.
He's mostly just trying to get beyond the wall and save lives as he ultimately isn't in a position to wage any real war (if the show stays true to the books, they get owned pretty bad in later battles, as even with giants and mammoths on their side, it doesn't make up for tactics and steel), as the wall does stop the White Walkers (at least for now), of which the Night's Watch under current leadership won't let them. Basically there's just not enough understanding from the southern kingdoms as to how important the north is and who/what the real enemy is

Awwwwwwwww man, that sucks about Jaime, i was hoping to see a few epic battles with him before he got his just desert, but OTOH, maybe this is good character development for him.
Jaime having to be more like Tyrion to overcome his own handicap is a good thing ;)

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
yeah, this is one of the ways where the show seems to be deviating a bit from the book, although we don't really even see this POV perspective from Theon at this point in the story, so it could end up being closer than we think

Well we know from the later books that Ramsey Bolton is just one sadistic S.o.B.

So based on that I wouldn't put it past him to stage an elaborate fake escape for Theon just to give him hope then take it away at the last second to drive him into even deeper hopelessness and despair.
So while it may not be in the book I wholly approve of this change if my speculation is actually correct.

meob

Dec 19, 2011
Well we know from the later books that Ramsey Bolton is just one sadistic S.o.B.

So based on that I wouldn't put it past him to stage an elaborate fake escape for Theon just to give him hope then take it away at the last second to drive him into even deeper hopelessness and despair.
So while it may not be in the book I wholly approve of this change if my speculation is actually correct.

it was in the book as a flash back I believe

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Last edited:

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
for the people who got the show by 'alternate' methods....you most likely had music playing over the final scene. This was a mistake, you can find the final scene on the same sight you acquired this episode from

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Is there only 10 episodes this season?

So we are almost a third of the way thru.
They said that the tv seasons are not necessarily going to be following each book 1 for 1. There will be 2 seasons devoted to the book that the current season is based upon or split across tv seasons.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

oh, i suspect the same thing, but at face value it doesn't appear to be that way is all, but yeah
the way they're doing things now could very well be Ramsey killing off the old "Reek", as the show never really went into detail as to who was first torturing Theon

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Just discovered the Youtube Hitler meme, they are awesome, loled. The season 1 about Nead Stark is the best, don't miss...

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Good episode, Dany has her army finally.

Spoiler from books
hard to watch Sansa get her hopes up with Loras knowing what is coming