Gallup: Romney's convention speech ranked as lowest since 1996

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...romneys-convention-speech-gets-low-marks?lite

large.jpg

A new Gallup poll shows that 38% of national adults rated Mitt Romney’s convention speech as either excellent or good -- that's the lowest percentage since Gallup began tracking this question in 1996.

The other past convention speeches:
58% said Barack Obama’s ’08 speech was excellent or good
52% said the same of John Kerry’s ’04 speech
52% for Bob Dole’s ’96 speech
51% for Al Gore’s ’00 speech
51% for George W. Bush’s ’00 speech
49% for Bush’s ’04 speech
47% for John McCain’s 08 speech

The Gallup poll also found that 40% of national adults said the GOP’s convention made them more likely to vote for Romney, while 38% said it made them less likely.

Way to go - He comes in first at last place!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Romney spoke?

All I remember is some cranky old man ranting at a chair.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Back on topic the speech was pretty boring and was delivered by someone with all the the charisma of a bowl of vanilla pudding. Not surprised it didn't get people fired up.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Lofty promises, no plan to get there... and that's what people really wanted to hear.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Apparently the convention as a whole didn't get much in the way of viewership or accolades. I don't think the Democrats' will either, though.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Well, obama speaks very well and what has that got us?

I will take the poor speaker with experience, thank you.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000

Experience in what? Bankrupting companies for profit at the tax payers expense? Please, Romney has about as much "experience" in government as my neighbor. Maybe you want to count his short existence as a governor doing.... OMG required healthcare! He has more experience campaigning for office than actually being in one.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

Experience in what? Making more empty promises?

I think the easiest thing to do is to promise to deliver where your potential predecessor has failed... especially when you don't outline a plan.

It's just words.

I can promise to create 12 Million jobs, and get America "back to work", and then walk off the stage like I'm telling new lies. :rolleyes:

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
I could of sworn that is what I heard listening to Romney and Ryan...

Yep, and that's all you'll ever hear: "No this... no that. "I promise this... that.. we will be this way.. that way..."

A bunch of sheep-leading liars both of them are (Obama too). Find me a man that doesn't have his own agenda to fill.... find me a person that can solve REAL issues., and not just butter people up for another failed 4 years...

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Experience in what? Bankrupting companies for profit at the tax payers expense? Please, Romney has about as much "experience" in government as my neighbor. Maybe you want to count his short existence as a governor doing.... OMG required healthcare! He has more experience campaigning for office than actually being in one.

LOL!

I'm sure your neighbor had more experience than Bobo, the Post Turtle, did four years ago. Today, he, Bobo, the Post Turtle, does have experience but it's all the wrong kind.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Experience in what? Making more empty promises?

I think the easiest thing to do is to promise to deliver where your potential predecessor has failed... especially when you don't outline a plan.

It's just words.

I can promise to create 12 Million jobs, and get America "back to work", and then walk off the stage like I'm telling new lies. :rolleyes:

Perfect! I couldn't have said it better.

That just about sums up obama. Here in Texas we would say that he is all hat and no cattle.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Yep, and that's all you'll ever hear: "No this... no that. "I promise this... that.. we will be this way.. that way..."

A bunch of sheep-leading liars both of them are (Obama too). Find me a man that doesn't have his own agenda to fill.... find me a person that can solve REAL issues., and not just butter people up for another failed 4 years...

Agreed.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Since NBC couldn't bother to give a link to the full results, here it is at Gallup: GOP Convention, Romney Speech Evoke Lukewarm Reactions

It's also quite interesting that at only +2 percentage points, this is the lowest bump Gallup's recorded in those who are more likely to vote for the nominee vs. those who are less likely. That reinforces the point that Romney's speech was uninspired and did little to build support.

Obama's up to bat next. It will be interesting to see how well he does.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

That would require telling people they'll have to make sacrifices, which is something they don't want to hear. A sure way to lose an election in this era.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Is this 2000? I could swear history is repeating itself.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Perfect! I couldn't have said it better.
That just about sums up obama. Here in Texas we would say that he is all hat and no cattle.

So Romney does have a detailed plan on how to "fix" this country? Something other than "Do better, you know, with stuff.." Is this what you believe?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
So Romney does have a detailed plan on how to "fix" this country? Something other than "Do better, you know, with stuff.." Is this what you believe?
He doesn't at all. I actually spent a few minutes at his website and was stunned to find that it was even more vague than expected. You'll be hard fvcking pressed to find anything tangible, measurable. It's all wishy washy nonsense.

Oh, BTW, I think Obama's a farce. I dislike both of them more or less the same. What pains me, though, is to see people pretend that one is particularly better than the other.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
At least from how I see it, the president is in a shit position right now. You've got people clamoring for the president to wave his magic wand and create jobs... oh, and don't forget... lower our spending too!

What a mess.