Gallup: Romney and Obama tied 47% each

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
your obama
Not sure how you got to that conclusion.....

is manipulating labor participation numbers to come up with the window dressed percentages that create the mirage of stability or growth. Liars use numbers.

That the unemployment rate numbers are basically total gimmicks is nothing new, that shenanigans has been going on for years, and has little to do with obama directly, to my knowledge.

If liars use numbers, what do people telling the truth use? Imaginary numbers?

Perhaps we can get real unemployment numbers by taking the square root of -1 before counting up jobs added and jobs lost?

also, arguably the US has been in a mirage of stability/growth for at least a decade, minus the years it was visibly crashing...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The economic issues in this election really come down to nominal values vs trends.

If you vote based on nominal values, then romney might be your choice, as unemployment right now is pretty high.

If, on the other hand, you vote on trends....

Might want to hold on there...

The economy looks to be trending down now. Adjustments have been downward and the GDP growth has been under 2% for the last two quarters. I read recently that govt economic statistics say that two quarters with less than 2% growth gives you about a 50% chance of going into a recession. (4 quarters equal a 70% chance of recession.)

Fern

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Might want to hold on there...

The economy looks to be trending down now. Adjustments have been downward and the GDP growth has been under 2% for the last two quarters. I read recently that govt economic statistics say that two quarters with less than 2% growth gives you about a 50% chance of going into a recession. (4 quarters equal a 70% chance of recession.)

Fern

No disagreement that the trends, as they are, still more or less suck. I was simply pointing out that +100,000/month is better than -800,000/month. Of course, if we do indeed go back into another recession, it could still get worse....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
when did the GOP become the party of paranoid, bigoted, anti-intellectual WASPS?

:hmm:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
From my perspective, they seemed to start really getting traction in the party during Bill Clinton took presidency.

You have to be conservative to deserve the Presidency of the United Christian States. It's part of the religion. You don't elect an Orthodox Jew to be the Pope. And if one gets in you start a pogrom. Conservatives have truthiness, the inner certainty they are right, just like Hitler, and they will do what Hitler in the name of purity. The White House is a holy place and us stupid atheist folk have elected the devil. He must be expunged and the taint removed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Perhaps, but let me know when you run into a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat. These categories may have existed in the past but today, I'm not so sure.

funny, when there aren't even any liberals in this country.

the political meter in this country swings from ultra far right nationalist state conservatism, to left-of-center.

there is no true "left" party in the US anymore. Not by how any international political meter would ever define left, anyway.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You have to be conservative to deserve the Presidency of the United Christian States. It's part of the religion. You don't elect an Orthodox Jew to be the Pope. And if one gets in you start a pogrom. Conservatives have truthiness, the inner certainty they are right, just like Hitler, and they will do what Hitler in the name of purity. The White House is a holy place and us stupid atheist folk have elected the devil. He must be expunged and the taint removed.

Clinton was the greatest conservative president of the last half of the century.

:thumbsup:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Bottom line, most likely the same people/voters that were so sure of their choice supporting GW Bush in 2000, and now realize that was a failed plan. Considering the approval rating GW had when leaving office. Considering the state of the economy when GW left office. And considering GW Bush has been pretty much disowned by the republican party. Surely those once energetic GW Bush supporters can now see that Mitt Romney is actually WORSE of a choice? And are they so blind or short memory not to also remember Richard Nixon. That what we have here is a combo GW Bush/Richard Nixon in Mitt Romney. And that Mitt Romney will say ANYTHING to ANYONE at any time to get elected? Mitt Romney has no problem changing his viewpoint from hour to hour, never mind day to day. Surely those supporting Mitt Romney would, could and should be able to see that Mitt Romney is NOT the guy for this job. He will create no jobs. Will not support the working class Americans. Will not fix anything for the better, not the economy nor the social issues like medicare, healthcare or social security. Surely republicans can remember their disastrous misguided decision with supporting GW Bush? And that poor judgment will be amplified enormously by supporting Mitt Romney? Surely anyone that supports Mitt Romney can see right through him? And clearly see this train wreck coming right at them?
I mean, bottom line, are Mitt Romney supporters really that clueless? Really...?

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Find me a Mitt Romney supporter. They all just hate Obama. Mitt Romney could be subbed for a dead guy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Find me a Mitt Romney supporter. They all just hate Obama. Mitt Romney could be subbed for a dead guy.

I miss the pen

DoleLgWEB.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
And that poor judgment will be amplified enormously by supporting Mitt Romney? Surely anyone that supports Mitt Romney can see right through him? And clearly see this train wreck coming right at them?
I mean, bottom line, are Mitt Romney supporters really that clueless? Really...?

they all see it.

which is why you have threads like this. I think some have given up, and a frightening number of them are so afraid that a black moosilm will likely remain in the White House that they have to project, somehow.

Hence, no substance, just rage and untargeted ranting.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
they all see it.

which is why you have threads like this. I think some have given up, and a frightening number of them are so afraid that a black moosilm will likely remain in the White House that they have to project, somehow.

Hence, no substance, just rage and untargeted ranting.

Probably something like this happened to the Mayans. They had some legend that a white guy with a beard would show up and destroy their civilization. Obama is going to destroy ours according to Republican mythology. The ship is going to sail off the edge of the world and be eaten by monsters. Mass psychosis.