Galaxy S7 regular/edge owners roll call....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
too early to tell, only had the G5 for like an hour haha.

I'll come back in a few days with some sort of nanoreview

I'm interested in this as, well. Almost traded in my S7 for a G5 but the more I use the S7, the more I fall for it.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I applied my netflix does. Got $240 credit to my account for 2 devices.
This deal gets better all the time.
Now wait for the VR or use the $100 credit instead.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
I'm looking at both phones right now - thoughts on how they compare?

OK so I've had the LG G5 for about 3 days now, after owning the S7E for about a week. Here's what I've noticed so far, and bear in mind this will be mostly anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

Speed -
Practically the same. Opening apps, switching apps, browsing, load times... I can't tell any tangible difference. Makes sense, same processor same RAM.

Camera -
I guess the nod would go to the S7E, but the G5 is no slouch. Both are great, the shutters are both lightning fast (which is most important to me, anyway) Pics are beautiful and clear.

Feel -
This could vary due to the case you have, but if we're talking caseless... my vote is G5. Feels... perfect. Perfect size, the matte finish on the back is not slippery (like the S7E), nor does it feel cheap. I love holding this phone, its so comfortable in hand, fits well in the pocket. Honestly at times using the S7E felt just a bit cumbersome. Also the G5 is your phone if you don't like physical home buttons. Like me. The sleep button on the S7E seemed really touchy to me, I woke the phone up and accidentally pressed it quite a few times. Not the case with the G5, the power button is on the back in true LG form, and I prefer it there.

Battery -
This definitely goes to the S7E. 3600 vs 2800 is pretty clear who the winner is. My G5 almost makes it a day off the wire. Kind of a bummer for me coming from the G2 which had absurd battery life.

Random -
There is no app tray on the G5. Despite what you may have read, LG got rid of it for whatever dumb reason. Not a problem, just get a different launcher. I use NOVA which is great, and provides the app tray, but one thing that does is disable the knock-on feature. However, NOVA doesn't kick in until you unlock the phone. SO..... you can still knock to wake, but you can't knock to lock it. Weird. Find an app/widget to lock it, or just use the sleep button.

The S7E also comes with random Samsung goodies like Samsung themes and the edge screen which I only sparingly used, but they may be a big selling point for some.

I need to get back to work, I can add to this later.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK so I've had the LG G5 for about 3 days now, after owning the S7E for about a week. Here's what I've noticed so far, and bear in mind this will be mostly anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

Speed -
Practically the same. Opening apps, switching apps, browsing, load times... I can't tell any tangible difference. Makes sense, same processor same RAM.

Camera -
I guess the nod would go to the S7E, but the G5 is no slouch. Both are great, the shutters are both lightning fast (which is most important to me, anyway) Pics are beautiful and clear.

Feel -
This could vary due to the case you have, but if we're talking caseless... my vote is G5. Feels... perfect. Perfect size, the matte finish on the back is not slippery (like the S7E), nor does it feel cheap. I love holding this phone, its so comfortable in hand, fits well in the pocket. Honestly at times using the S7E felt just a bit cumbersome. Also the G5 is your phone if you don't like physical home buttons. Like me. The sleep button on the S7E seemed really touchy to me, I woke the phone up and accidentally pressed it quite a few times. Not the case with the G5, the power button is on the back in true LG form, and I prefer it there.

Battery -
This definitely goes to the S7E. 3600 vs 2800 is pretty clear who the winner is. My G5 almost makes it a day off the wire. Kind of a bummer for me coming from the G2 which had absurd battery life.

Random -
There is no app tray on the G5. Despite what you may have read, LG got rid of it for whatever dumb reason. Not a problem, just get a different launcher. I use NOVA which is great, and provides the app tray, but one thing that does is disable the knock-on feature. However, NOVA doesn't kick in until you unlock the phone. SO..... you can still knock to wake, but you can't knock to lock it. Weird. Find an app/widget to lock it, or just use the sleep button.

The S7E also comes with random Samsung goodies like Samsung themes and the edge screen which I only sparingly used, but they may be a big selling point for some.

I need to get back to work, I can add to this later.

Does the LG-G5 come with the 32bit DAC like the LG-V10 had? Thats what I miss. The s7e is mediocre in the sound dept.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yea I don't really see myself buying any of those "modules" for my G5, in fact I'm not sure I'd ever even pop it open at all except if/when my battery needs replaced.

Need to stop talking about the LG G5 inside of the Samsung S7 thread...

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Wow, thats a bummer. I loved the powerful sound my LG-V10 spit out. It pushed even my most demanding headphones. I may have to start using it solely as a media/music player.

The G5 module is newer and better but the price of it is going to be stupid high. The included H3 earbuds alone are $200 bucks. That is stupid, especially if you just want the module. There are many better IEMs for a lot less.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I have a galaxy s6 now but just bought a s7e, gold platinum. Wanted to have a bigger screen and longer battery. I use plex a lot on my phone so the larger screen will be nice.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Got approval email on 3/28. Got tracking on 4/18, then it arrived the next day.

I only got 1 so far which was either wait for the goggles or get $100 gc so I took the GC and got 2 wireless quick chargers

now waiting on 3 goggles since they didn't give me the option of a gc

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just got my tmobile netflix codes. Anyone know how they work, haven't had an account so not sure if it deposits a monetary amount or activates a certain plan.

Since today is final day, also went through process to load occulus on both handsets ot get the free games. Don't necessarily love the control method, but visuals from putting the goggles on are quite cool. Only issue I had was that the default target cursor seemed to be located in center of left eye than center screen so in some apps that use the default trigger the text would not be as clear as if it were true center.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Just got my tmobile netflix codes. Anyone know how they work, haven't had an account so not sure if it deposits a monetary amount or activates a certain plan.

Since today is final day, also went through process to load occulus on both handsets ot get the free games. Don't necessarily love the control method, but visuals from putting the goggles on are quite cool. Only issue I had was that the default target cursor seemed to be located in center of left eye than center screen so in some apps that use the default trigger the text would not be as clear as if it were true center.

I added the code to my current plan and it said something like $123 credit applied.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I had 2 netflix codes with me already having a netflix account.
I applied the first one and it shows I had a $119.xx credit.
I then applied the 2nd code and my account still showed $119.xx credit.
I called Netflix and the CSR confirmed that I had 2x$119.xx applied to my account.
Now my question is they advertised 1 yr free of Netflix but we got $120 credit and my monthly is only $7.99 before they go up in the future.
Clearly if Netflix just subtract the subscription amount every month, I will get a whole lot more than 12 months worth for $120.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I had 2 netflix codes with me already having a netflix account.
I applied the first one and it shows I had a $119.xx credit.
I then applied the 2nd code and my account still showed $119.xx credit.
I called Netflix and the CSR confirmed that I had 2x$119.xx applied to my account.
Now my question is they advertised 1 yr free of Netflix but we got $120 credit and my monthly is only $7.99 before they go up in the future.
Clearly if Netflix just subtract the subscription amount every month, I will get a whole lot more than 12 months worth for $120.

Its 1 free year of premium which is 11.99. We get to extend it longer if we use the 2 user instead of the 4 user.