Galaxy S7 pre-order numbers breaks records

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Samsung Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 6S Water Test! Actually Waterproof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJUxi0ktDzw

The Galaxy S7 survives the entire test.

The iPhone 6S dies in 15 minutes. It's a $1000 water pistol!

The iPhone isn't rated as waterproof so it's great to see that it can stand 15 minutes inside water. Most people just need it to survive the occasional toilet-drop or other similar things, so 15 minutes is actually pretty good. Do you expect to have your phone under water for 15 minutes?

On the other hand, the S7 should survive such a thing, as it is rated ip68 which ,according to the internet, means that it should survive ~30 minutes.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-not-quite-waterproof-torture-tests-reveal/

BTW according to the tests linked by cnet:
In the tests, which you can watch for yourself below, all four superphones are submerged in 5 feet (1.5 m) of water for 30 minutes. Both new Galaxy phones still functioned just fine once dried off, but with audio permanently muffled and distorted

so...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Was that when they were dumping them at amazon? It's def a great price. I almost jumped but 6" is just too big/phablet for my tastes.

Close. It was actually the perfect storm of stacking 3 deals, courtesy of SlickDeals.net:

1) Amazon sale
2) Amazon Prime Now $20 off first purchase
3) Amex offers which saved another $20

When the Nexus 6 64GB was first released it retailed for $699, about a year later I paid less than $250 for mine. Yeah it's yuuuge but an awesome deal :thumbsup:

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 6s Speed Test!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d-L0YHSGIY

Finally an honest speed test comparison taking into account that the Galaxy S7 needs to process 78% more pixels than the iPhone 6S.

You can also see the high quality Galaxy S7 camera vs the rather dull looking iPhone 6S camera.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Samsung Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 6s Speed Test!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d-L0YHSGIY

Finally an honest speed test comparison taking into account that the Galaxy S7 needs to process 78% more pixels than the iPhone 6S.

You can also see the high quality Galaxy S7 camera vs the rather dull looking iPhone 6S camera.

And by honest, you really mean "shows the company I cheerlead for in the most favourable light."

This test doesn't include some of the areas where the iPhone destroys the S7, such as web browsing and overall responsiveness (such as app load times and interface frame rates). I don't dispute the results -- despite what you claim, AnandTech and other sites have had evidence of these same things for months. It's that you're disingenuously portraying this as the first truthful review when you're really just cherry-picking.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The iPhone isn't rated as waterproof so it's great to see that it can stand 15 minutes inside water. Most people just need it to survive the occasional toilet-drop or other similar things, so 15 minutes is actually pretty good. Do you expect to have your phone under water for 15 minutes?

On the other hand, the S7 should survive such a thing, as it is rated ip68 which ,according to the internet, means that it should survive ~30 minutes.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-not-quite-waterproof-torture-tests-reveal/

BTW according to the tests linked by cnet:

so...

I still would've rather they brought back the swappable battery instead of making it waterproof. Or bumped the battery size another 50%.

Maybe on the Note6.

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
$5.7 billion USD in Q1 2016 profits, up 10% from the same period in 2015.

This may be seen as a temporary boost but remember Galaxy S7 sales reached most of the world only in mid to late March. So we will need to see Q2 and Q3 2016 results for a true reflection of the impact of Galaxy S7 sales on Samsung's momentum.

I seriously hope Samsung recovers from their lows in 2014 and 2015. Samsung is a true innovator in terms of hardware and if they go down, then technological advancement in the world will also slow down.

Apple, Motorola, Xiaomi, HTC, etc do not have separate semiconductor or display manufacturing businesses. Apple only contributes through software, whereas the latter three do not contribute anything in terms of technological advancement.

I am a true supporter of pragmatism and for this world to speed up technological advancement, we need to support the right companies like Samsung, LG, Tesla, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.

http://www.informationweek.com/galaxy-s7-propels-samsung-profits/a/d-id/1325026
Galaxy S7 Propels Samsung Profits
Samsung said it recorded a 10% jump in profits for the first quarter due to sales of its new flagship smartphones: the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.

On Thursday, April 7, Samsung said that it expects to record profits of $5.7 billion for the first three months of the year, a number that is up 10% compared to the year-ago period. The company will post its final earnings later this month. The jump in profits can be pinned on the strong debut of the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge smartphones, which have won over consumers. Analysts, however, question whether or not Samsung can maintain this momentum.

Samsung did not say how many devices it shipped during the first quarter of the year, but shipments of the S7 alone are estimated at 10 million since its early March debut. That's a much healthier launch than last year's Galaxy S6. Samsung's overall quarterly shipments have averaged about 85 million units for the past few years, according to IDC.

While the 10% increase in profits is welcome, the number is still down 22% compared to the first quarter of 2014. Moreover, Samsung cut its phone prices over the last year, which pushed margins down to about 10%. By way of comparison, analysts estimate Apple's gross margin to be about 40%.

GalaxyS7,S7Edge.PNG

Investors are worried about an implosion. "S7 sales popped in the beginning, but could very well fade as rivals launch new models," said Alpha Asset Management fund manager C.J. Heo to Reuters. "We have learned from the past."

Others suggest Samsung merely moved profits it would have generated in the second quarter of the year to the first quarter and that's the only reason the company is seeing profits at all. Samsung has typically launched the Galaxy S series handsets in April or May. This year the devices went on sale in March.

Competition in the space is fierce. LG has a new flagship model, the G5, in carrier stores. It has a modular design and can interact with several removable accessories. HTC is expected to unveil its 2016 flagship model at an event planned for April 12. On Wednesday, April 6, Huawei showed off the P9 and P9 Plus devices, which feature dual cameras.

Samsung ended 2015 with shipments of about 324.8 million devices and 22.7% of the market, putting it in first place. Apple ranked second with yearly shipments of around 231.5 million iPhones and 16.7% of the market. Huawei rose to third place with shipments of 106.6 million handsets and 7.4% of the market.

Shipments from the major vendors are expected to climb this year, but individual companies' share of the market will remain about the same though 2016, according to IDC.

Huawei, more so than Apple, should worry Samsung. The company has pushed hard in its home market of China where it prices phones about 25% less than Samsung prices its own.

The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge carry premium prices of $670 and $780, respectively.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
You know Android is in big trouble when a 10% profit increase is considered a complete victory despite:

-2 previous years of huge Samsung mobile profit declines
-Releasing S7 1 month earlier
-BOGOs and promotions everywhere
-Selling 3x more than the S6 in first month and still barely moving the profit needle.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So "Android is in big trouble" because there is so much intense competition that Android users can get a fantastic flagship phone for $350 (after BOGO)?

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
So "Android is in big trouble" because there is so much intense competition that Android users can get a fantastic flagship phone for $350 (after BOGO)?

Of course. Minimal/no profits is terrible for any market. Products need to make sustainable profits.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Samsungs needle is a big needle to move. Are we looking at 100s of millions difference or is a 10% increase already in the billions.
Now we need to just wait for the note to come out and lets see what kind of profits Samsung is going to gain. Many Samsung users like both mods but prefer one over the other and will wait for both to be released before making a purchase.

With apple it is a bit easier. You get a choice of one phone this year. So either you like it or you dont

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Samsungs needle is a big needle to move. Are we looking at 100s of millions difference or is a 10% increase already in the billions.
Now we need to just wait for the note to come out and lets see what kind of profits Samsung is going to gain. Many Samsung users like both mods but prefer one over the other and will wait for both to be released before making a purchase.

With apple it is a bit easier. You get a choice of one phone this year. So either you like it or you dont

That's what I like about Apple; I don't have to invest huge amounts of time and effort deciding what product to buy. You either buy the latest thing or you don't.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
That's what I like about Apple; I don't have to invest huge amounts of time and effort deciding what product to buy. You either buy the latest thing or you don't.

Lol love the kool-aid. Apple legitimately has some of the best (if not the best) devices you can buy, but this argument is ridiculous. Choice is bad b/c it makes me have to decide. Car buying must be an absolute nightmare for you.

StrangerGuy said:
You know Android is in big trouble when a 10% profit increase is considered a complete victory despite:

-Selling 3x more than the S6 in first month and still barely moving the profit needle.

First your info seems completely off - everything I've read says the S7 is selling maybe 20-25% better than the S6. No idea where you'd getting 3X since that would be a market shaking event since that would be 1st month new iPhone volumes. Turning a multi billion quarterly profit on smartphones, even as the S7 landed at the tail end of the quarter for Samsung, is hardly doom and gloom.

That being said, Samsung is never going to return to the previous levels of smartphone profitability, but how that qualifies as trouble is beyond me. It's the reality of Android with companies like Huawei releasing flagship quality products at upper midrange prices.

The profit margins that pad Apple's cash hoard (which honestly is doing nothing for them but sitting offshore) or their stock buy back are basically being kept by Android consumers.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Lol love the kool-aid. Apple legitimately has some of the best (if not the best) devices you can buy, but this argument is ridiculous. Choice is bad b/c it makes me have to decide. Car buying must be an absolute nightmare for you.

First your info seems completely off - everything I've read says the S7 is selling maybe 20-25% better than the S6. No idea where you'd getting 3X since that would be a market shaking event since that would be 1st month new iPhone volumes. Turning a multi billion quarterly profit on smartphones, even as the S7 landed at the tail end of the quarter for Samsung, is hardly doom and gloom.

That being said, Samsung is never going to return to the previous levels of smartphone profitability, but how that qualifies as trouble is beyond me. It's the reality of Android with companies like Huawei releasing flagship quality products at upper midrange prices.

The profit margins that pad Apple's cash hoard (which honestly is doing nothing for them but sitting offshore) or their stock buy back are basically being kept by Android consumers.

Too much choice is bad because it makes you ultimately disatisfied with what you do buy. That's why you forever see Android fan trying to find the 'perfect' phone because they are rarely happy with what they've got.

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015

The iPhone 6 was given out for free in some promotional events around the world.

3X more than the S6 in the first month?

Where are you getting this misinformation from?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
The iPhone 6 was given out for free in some promotional events around the world.

3X more than the S6 in the first month?

Where are you getting this misinformation from?

Where was the iPhone 6 given away? How many? 10's of thousands? LOL...

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Too much choice is bad because it makes you ultimately disatisfied with what you do buy. That's why you forever see Android fan trying to find the 'perfect' phone because they are rarely happy with what they've got.

I think you're clinging to the past when phones were more differentiated. All flagships today basically get you very competent phones (screens, performance, cameras, etc) with actual real-world differences not being very significant. Honestly for most consumers, you only have to decide on two factors - what screen size do you like and which one you think looks better. Picking what I want for lunch is harder.

This sounds mostly like rationalizing to me and not actually being happier, but simply accepting what you're given without thinking.

<edit>Today someone who wants an Android flagship has to decide between what - the S7, S7 Edge, LG G5, and Nexus 6P. They all have great screens, great cameras, good to great battery life, and are extremely fast. For 95% of consumers, it's going into a store, holding them, and deciding which ones feels/looks better. That's literally it. It's only geeks on tech forums who obsess over tiny nuances that the Facebook/texting/Instagramming world doesn't care about.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Samsung Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 6S Water Test! Actually Waterproof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJUxi0ktDzw

The Galaxy S7 survives the entire test.

The iPhone 6S dies in 15 minutes. It's a $1000 water pistol!

Just watched a video where an annoying guy submerges an S7 Edge and iPhone 6s Plus in Coca Cola and freezes for almost 10 hours. He used boiling hot water to get them out of the ice.

Without giving them a rinse or time to dry out, both seemed to survive.

For a phone that's not marketed as "water resistant," getting through that kind of torture in any kind of working condition is impressive. iFixIt and others noted that internal connections with the "6s" models were redesigned in a way that helps with water resistance, even though Apple never marketed any kind of water resistance. It seems like just 15 minutes of water exposure is very unlikely to do anything for the majority of 6s phones.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
See, Achtung, this is what I was asking for earlier -- real, tangible facts, not unofficial predictions and speculation.

It's a good sign for Samsung, but there are two big questions that need to be answered. How many more phones did it actually ship? And will this translate to sustained demand, or is it a blip created by early adopters who were waiting for the S7? We'll likely never get answers directly (you'll have to wait for analysts to estimate shipments), but I suspect we'll get a clearer picture in the next quarter.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Of course. Minimal/no profits is terrible for any market. Products need to make sustainable profits.

Televisions make terrible profits, but you can buy a better and better television for cheaper every year. Same with SSDs, RAM, etc. It's what a competitive market should like.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
See, Achtung, this is what I was asking for earlier -- real, tangible facts, not unofficial predictions and speculation.

It's a good sign for Samsung, but there are two big questions that need to be answered. How many more phones did it actually ship? And will this translate to sustained demand, or is it a blip created by early adopters who were waiting for the S7? We'll likely never get answers directly (you'll have to wait for analysts to estimate shipments), but I suspect we'll get a clearer picture in the next quarter.

I agree that next quarter will give us a better picture. Samsung basically had no competition in the flagship Android market, as the G5 was only actually released on the 1st of April .

We'll see how well it sells once new flagships, or close-to-flagship, phones are released (i.e. HTC 10, Sony X performance, maybe a Xiaomi Mi5 world release or a OP3 etc.)