Galaxy S7 pre-order numbers breaks records

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
After stagnant sales of the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6, Samsung is gaining momentum with the Galaxy S6's record pre-orders.
And the Galaxy S7 Edge is accounting for approximately 65% of all sales. This just proves that Samsung's strategy of developing an attractive and unique design worked in attracting premium buyers.
Also the Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge have the best smartphone cameras, the best smartphone displays and a much longer-lasting battery compared to the Galaxy S6/iPhone 6S.
There has been a 200% increase in pre-orders for the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge compared to the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.

It seems like 2016 is the year that Samsung may be coming back in terms of premium smartphone sales. Samsung still accounts for 95%+ of Android profits.
Apple may rule in terms of net profit, but its sales and revenues are nowhere near those of Samsung.

This phenomenon seems to be worldwide.

http://www.emirates247.com/business...orders-for-galaxy-s7-edge-2016-03-14-1.624179

Samsung claims record pre-orders for Galaxy S7 edge

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_and_s7_edge_break_preorder_records-news-16999.php

Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge pre-orders break records

According to an unofficial report, Samsung is having a blast with the pre-orders of the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. The phone is up for pre-order in 60 markets and according to Eldar Murtazin in Russia the two phones are enjoying record pre-sales.

The Russian tech journalist also reveals an unofficial statistic that 64% of those who've pre-ordered the phone went for the Galaxy S7 edge, meaning that the majority of fans would gladly play the premium for the dual-curved screen.

We're yet to receive official news from Samsung regarding pre-order numbers. The two phones launch on March 11, so there's plenty of time for them to reach even higher numbers. The company will, reportedly, be making a total of 17.2 million Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge units by April of this year.

Source | Via

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-sees-record-pre-orders-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-uk-1549187

Samsung sees record pre-orders for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge in UK
March 13, 2016 08:09 GMT

Samsung's latest Galaxy S series flagship iterations, S7 and S7 Edge, have generated more pre-orders than any other Galaxy smartphone in the UK, the company has said. The Galaxy phones are now available from Samsung's online stores as well as high street retailers and networks such as Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, Three, EE and O2.

During the pre-order period, which started within hours of the devices' official launch on 21 February, and sales starting 10 March, Samsung has seen about 2.5 times more pre-orders than any other Galaxy model in the country. Carphone Warehouse reported a 200% boost in pre-orders for the new Galaxy phones when compared to their predecessors, the S6 and S6 Edge.

The S7 Edge accounted for about 61% of total pre-orders in the Europe. The huge success, according to Samsung, is largely driven by the smartphone's unique design. The UX on the S7 Edge offers shortcuts to contacts, apps and camera app settings such as selfie and panorama mode.

Koh Dong-jin, president of Samsung, earlier said that the company was seeing stronger-than-expected pre-orders for its flagship Galaxy models. He did not disclose any figure but said the company expected the S7s to help revive sales in China.

"The pre-order performance of the new Galaxy S7 and S7 edge illustrates strong customer appetite for our premium smartphones in the UK," said Conor Pierce, vice president, IT & Mobile Division, Samsung Electronics UK and Ireland.

"Customers want new innovations and experiences, powered by their smartphone. We are confident that our new flagship devices fulfil this need better than anything else available on the market. By creating a world of connected products and services through the Gear VR, Gear 360 and Samsung Pay, we are providing a highly-differentiated and richer experience for our consumers, a central part of our strategy," added Pierce.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
yObpwwo.jpg

Ok.

Right I dont want any answers to this thread apart from.

"Hmmm, I guess that's great then? I'm really, really impressed honest. Now can we talk about something else?"

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Hmmm, I guess that's great then? I'm really, really impressed honest. Now can we talk about something else?

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Samsung have nearly always made great hardware. It's just their software that lets them down big style.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Achtung! I for one really appreciate your enthusiasm for Samsung devices, and in fact I think the S7 Edge is a great product, but perhaps the content of your post is better served by posting it on an investment forum?

Further, there's an existing thread you could have posted this in if you have to post it.

I think the majority of us here are much more interested in how a particular device fits with our lives or makes the lives of our loved ones easier.

Please stop?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
LOL! Why exactly is this such a terrible thread subject?

I recall in the past plenty of threads on sales figures (and every other sort of minutia) for past devices. And the other S7 thread is so old it's labeled a rumors and speculation thread.

So... moving past the somehow newly arrived (far as I can tell) concept that any device only gets one thread ever about it around here... (gee, one iphone thread every.. HOW MANY years would that be?? :p)

... the thing that's the most puffery to me:

This just proves that Samsung's strategy of developing an attractive and unique design worked in attracting premium buyers.
Really? Wouldn't it have been the s6 and edge models that proved that?

Maybe Samsung is gaining ground by bringing back features people want, as well as newer better stats?

As for "unique" design... I was looking at an s6 edge+ vs the s7 edge the other day... I almost hated to admit it to myself, but the s6 edge looked (to my eye anyway) MUCH nicer in a lot of ways. I don't think the actual design of the s7 is all that unique.

Maybe people aren't just ordering it left and right based on its design, but what's under the hood, the return of SD, waterproofing, larger battery... things people actually want in a phone?

Just hoping Samsung takes a few notes for the Note 6!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I recall in the past plenty of threads on sales figures (and every other sort of minutia) for past devices.

And every one of them turned into a pointless, pissing match.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Of course when carriers are doing BOGO Free for a product that's been out for 2 weeks. Add to the free Netflix and VR headgears, no wonder people are buying in bunches.
Count me as one of those people. It's too good of a deal to pass up. The S7 are fantastic, but I don't think people would be buying as much for $700 each. Let's me real here. There are too many Android alternatives for half of what Samsung is charging

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
I am not surprised. The S7 feels absolutely fantastic in hand. I may just have to upgrade prior to my next vacation. The best camera coupled with the genius home button double click has made the S6/S7 the best phone out there imo.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I found it suspect when I went to the Sprint store they were offering me bogo 50% with a free VR headset on a phone that wasn't even out yet. Why discount it so hard so fast? Like when I see a game about to be released on Steam that's already on a 40% sale.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

I recall in the past plenty of threads on sales figures (and every other sort of minutia) for past devices. And the other S7 thread is so old it's labeled a rumors and speculation thread.

So... moving past the somehow newly arrived (far as I can tell) concept that any device only gets one thread ever about it around here... (gee, one iphone thread every.. HOW MANY years would that be?? :p)

... the thing that's the most puffery to me:

Really? Wouldn't it have been the s6 and edge models that proved that?

Maybe Samsung is gaining ground by bringing back features people want, as well as newer better stats?

As for "unique" design... I was looking at an s6 edge+ vs the s7 edge the other day... I almost hated to admit it to myself, but the s6 edge looked (to my eye anyway) MUCH nicer in a lot of ways. I don't think the actual design of the s7 is all that unique.

Maybe people aren't just ordering it left and right based on its design, but what's under the hood, the return of SD, waterproofing, larger battery... things people actually want in a phone?

Just hoping Samsung takes a few notes for the Note 6!

If the Note6 has the same features and either a much larger battery or swappable battery, then I'd finally upgrade from my Note4.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The strong early demand is good for Samsung, but let's not rush to proclaim that it's back to form, shall we?

Remember, initial launch sales usually come from a mix of gotta-have-it early adopters and everyday people who've been champing at the bit to get a new phone now that their contract/installment plans have run out. When a lot of people purposefully avoided the S5 and S6, it's hard to say how much of this is genuine, sustained interest versus satiating holdouts.

Note: I'm entirely willing to accept that Samsung may be on the mend. It's just that the factors which led to its decline (the rise of good-enough phones in China/India, Apple negating Samsung's screen size advantage) are still around. That and there's a certain disingenuousness to these posts: they're really about trying to convince everyone that the Inevitable Total Samsung Monopoly is back on track, not to tell the whole truth.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yep, with BOGO across the board and other tacked on incentives, not surprised to see a healthy number of units shipped.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
The strong early demand is good for Samsung, but let's not rush to proclaim that it's back to form, shall we?

Remember, initial launch sales usually come from a mix of gotta-have-it early adopters and everyday people who've been champing at the bit to get a new phone now that their contract/installment plans have run out. When a lot of people purposefully avoided the S5 and S6, it's hard to say how much of this is genuine, sustained interest versus satiating holdouts.

Note: I'm entirely willing to accept that Samsung may be on the mend. It's just that the factors which led to its decline (the rise of good-enough phones in China/India, Apple negating Samsung's screen size advantage) are still around. That and there's a certain disingenuousness to these posts: they're really about trying to convince everyone that the Inevitable Total Samsung Monopoly is back on track, not to tell the whole truth.

What difference does it make? It doesn't make a difference when GM or Toyo pad their numbers with fleet sales. We expect that and account for it.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I'm not knocking on Samsung. I think they have the best phone out right now which is the Note 5. But if you're asking me to chose between $600++ for a Note 5 vs $300 for a Motorola X Pure, I'd pick the Pure without thinking twice.

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
Apple may rule in terms of net profit, but its sales and revenues are nowhere near those of Samsung.

For which part of Samsung?

For 2015, Samsung Electronics had ₩200.650 trillion in revenue, which Google tells me is $167.803 billion USD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Electronics#cite_note-10K-2

Apple's fiscal 2015 was $233.7B USD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...reports-biggest-annual-profit-in-history.html

(As for profit, Apple had ~$53B USD in 2015 profits while Samsung Electronics had ~$16B USD in 2015 profits.)

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What difference does it make? It doesn't make a difference when GM or Toyo pad their numbers with fleet sales. We expect that and account for it.

Quite a bit. There's a difference between getting an early burst of sales and translating that to broader interest from casual buyers who simply come in when they need a new phone. Is Samsung going to get an off-the-street Chinese customer to buy an S7 when they can probably get a Xiaomi Mi 5 for less? Is it going to convince an American who's always owned iPhones to switch when their contract is up?

Yes, it's true that companies and investors account for post-launch demand and seasonal variations. However, those aren't always accurate. You know how Samsung expected wild demand for the Galaxy S6, only to realize that it dramatically overestimated sales and that it needed to run aggressive promos to clear unsold stock? Yeah. Don't forget that Samsung is offering a free Gear VR headset with early S7 orders, and that there are already BOGO deals -- it's trying to goose early sales as much as possible, and we don't know what will happen when all those offers vanish.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I don't get what's in it for you to split hairs? Who cares imo. All that matters to me is that I got TWO S7 Edges for the price of ONE from Tmobile w/o any strings attached unlike at ATT.

sporkster

Mar 10, 2016
Not surprising, samsung's always had a great track record with their pre-order sales numbers.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I don't get what's in it for you to split hairs? Who cares imo. All that matters to me is that I got TWO S7 Edges for the price of ONE from Tmobile w/o any strings attached unlike at ATT.

Can you elaborate on this deal? Just wanted to hear from someone with actual experience. Were you a T-Mobile customer before or did you port (two lines) in? (the fine print said something about that).

I believe it says that two lines are required, but there is no contract in T-mobile so what if I don't care about the lines and just want the phones, obviously willing to pay the full price up front (paying for one phone, to get two). I'm guessing at least two monthly fees (one for each line) plus taxes are required? But then you said there's no strings attached, so I'm curious.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Not surprising, samsung's always had a great track record with their pre-order sales numbers.

I think you're missing the point (or simply misunderstood). They're breaking their records, which means whatever the numbers were before (which as you stated they always had a great track record of), this is the highest.

It is not an implication or indication of how successful this latest line of phones will be.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I think you're missing the point (or simply misunderstood). They're breaking their records, which means whatever the numbers were before (which as you stated they always had a great track record of), this is the highest.

It is not an implication or indication of how successful this latest line of phones will be.

Dude they're breaking THEIR previous record by TWO HUNDRED PERCENT! This means they have preorders for twice as many of the S7's as the S6's. Numbers don't lie, imagine if Microsoft had 200% more pre-orders of the new Lumia WP phone, their numbers would skyrocket into triple, maybe even quad digits.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Can you elaborate on this deal? Just wanted to hear from someone with actual experience. Were you a T-Mobile customer before or did you port (two lines) in? (the fine print said something about that).

I believe it says that two lines are required, but there is no contract in T-mobile so what if I don't care about the lines and just want the phones, obviously willing to pay the full price up front (paying for one phone, to get two). I'm guessing at least two monthly fees (one for each line) plus taxes are required? But then you said there's no strings attached, so I'm curious.

Tmobiles requirements are really simple. You must: open/add 1 line (1 activation fee), put both phones on an EIP (payment plan). Those are the only requirements. After you get your receipts you can then apply for the rebate online, they will send you a debit visa (6-8 weeks). Once you get your rebate, you can then pay off the free phone. Thus logically you should keep that free phone on the EIP until you get the rebate. Then pay it off. The other phone that is activated, you can then close that line down, pay it off, etc whatever you want.

Soon as you physically receive your phones you can apply for the free vr gear + netflix. TO get teh vr gear, it requires the wifi mac address which you cannot get w/o powering on the phones, shakes head. You can then get two vr gears and two netflix codes to use however.

I think that's it.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Tmobiles requirements are really simple. You must: open/add 1 line (1 activation fee), put both phones on an EIP (payment plan). Those are the only requirements. After you get your receipts you can then apply for the rebate online, they will send you a debit visa (6-8 weeks). Once you get your rebate, you can then pay off the free phone. Thus logically you should keep that free phone on the EIP until you get the rebate. Then pay it off. The other phone that is activated, you can then close that line down, pay it off, etc whatever you want.

Soon as you physically receive your phones you can apply for the free vr gear + netflix. TO get teh vr gear, it requires the wifi mac address which you cannot get w/o powering on the phones, shakes head. You can then get two vr gears and two netflix codes to use however.

I think that's it.

That's very nice. Thanks for the explanation.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Because Achtung's core argument is that Samsung is likely coming back because of these sales records -- this is an explanation as to why that isn't necessarily the case.