Galaxy Note 7

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The $100 bonus for staying with Samsung kind of says it all, really... the company is legitimately worried that it's about to lose millions of customers to its rivals. And remember, that's just the ~2.5 million people who bought Note 7s. I'd argue that the real danger to Samsung comes in the next several months, when the millions more who would have bought a Note 7 have to consider something else. The S8 Edge (or whatever the larger S8 is called) may help soften the blow, but that's probably not going to show up until March.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Turns out, they padded the numbers (again), CPSC says 1.9 million Note 7's sold.

Who knows, maybe there were 600,000 in the pipeline and unsold.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
The $100 bonus for staying with Samsung kind of says it all, really... the company is legitimately worried that it's about to lose millions of customers to its rivals. And remember, that's just the ~2.5 million people who bought Note 7s. I'd argue that the real danger to Samsung comes in the next several months, when the millions more who would have bought a Note 7 have to consider something else. The S8 Edge (or whatever the larger S8 is called) may help soften the blow, but that's probably not going to show up until March.

That's pretty much where my wife is at decision-wise. She was planning on getting a Note 7. She wanted to pre-order but I told her to wait thank goodness. Now there isn't really any phone she is that interested in. I am trying to convince her to get a Pixel.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
This is the gift that keeps on giving for Samsung. I've made two air trips this month on different airlines. During the safety briefing at the beginning of each flight, the warning concerning the Note 7 is repeated. Every day for at least the past month, millions of flyers are getting the message that the Note 7 is bad. I'm surprised that Samsung has been as slow as it's been to react to this public relations catastrophe. Samsung may have to dump the Note brand for future phones.

Reactions: Phynaz

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
They're really screwing this up, someone from Samsung needs to go on a news program, explain what's happened and apologize, put a public face on the mess instead of press releases.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
This is the gift that keeps on giving for Samsung. I've made two air trips this month on different airlines. During the safety briefing at the beginning of each flight, the warning concerning the Note 7 is repeated. Every day for at least the past month, millions of flyers are getting the message that the Note 7 is bad. I'm surprised that Samsung has been as slow as it's been to react to this public relations catastrophe. Samsung may have to dump the Note brand for future phones.

I saw signs posted at airline security recently that they weren't allowing note 7's on.

Reactions: Phynaz

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Turns out, they padded the numbers (again), CPSC says 1.9 million Note 7's sold.

Who knows, maybe there were 600,000 in the pipeline and unsold.

Not a surprise. Samsung has been conflating shipped figures as end sales as a time honored tradition for a long time now.

Besides, we are talking about a company that has no qualms spending $10+ billion on embarrassingly facepalm advertising so needless to say PR isn't their strongest suit.

Reactions: Kazukian

Kapav

Oct 7, 2016
Samsung may have to dump the Note brand for future phones.

I'd be really surprised if the Note brand continued to exist after this. Renaming the phone line to something else in the future while keeping the exact same physical phone (whatever the Note 8 was supposed to be) wouldn't exactly be a hard step to take for Samsung.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
I'd be really surprised if the Note brand continued to exist after this. Renaming the phone line to something else in the future while keeping the exact same physical phone (whatever the Note 8 was supposed to be) wouldn't exactly be a hard step to take for Samsung.

Yeah, thinking the S8 Pro...

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Pulled the sim out of my still unexploded (at&t) Note 7, popped it into my old Verizon Note 4 and... bam. Everything works.

Amazingly somehow even 4g. I didn't think that was possible?

Eh. Still shopping around for a suitable interim replacement for the 7 until there's something else actually interests me, or Samsung releases a new Note or Galaxy Pro or whatever.

Maybe they'll wise up and not seal the battery in next time. Somehow I doubt it though. Even this grand fiasco probably won't teach them a lesson.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Pulled the sim out of my still unexploded (at&t) Note 7, popped it into my old Verizon Note 4 and... bam. Everything works.

Amazingly somehow even 4g. I didn't think that was possible?
Verizon's LTE phones are required to be unlocked and support the GSM and LTE bands. It was part of their deal to secure and use the spectrum. Block C rules, I think it's called?

Eh. Still shopping around for a suitable interim replacement for the 7 until there's something else actually interests me, or Samsung releases a new Note or Galaxy Pro or whatever.

Maybe they'll wise up and not seal the battery in next time. Somehow I doubt it though. Even this grand fiasco probably won't teach them a lesson.
This is what I should have done, just canceled the whole thing, but I just flashed the U firmware to my Verizon S7 Edge and now all the Verizon crappyness is gone, and the phone is the way Samsung intended. I'm warming up to it.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Everything I was able to read about it (and specifically the Verizon Note 4) from fairly recently even was insistent that it would only support 3g/HSPA+ but no 4G LTE.

But dammed if I don't see 4G and nice speeds! One of those 'well it's cool that wasn't accurate' moments.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Yeah, I don't know what or where you were reading, but it's always supported the AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands. There's one T-Mobile band it doesn't support (17 maybe?) but it doesn't cripple the device on Tmo.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
You may get weird mms issues on that note 4. My vzw note 4 I had to put special apn settings to get 4glte and mms working properly. Too bad I gave it to my honey as her s4 was too small.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Criminal Prosecution
The government urged passengers not to side-step the order. “Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident,” the DOT said in a release. “Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.”

This is serious, do not attempt to bring your Note 7 on board!

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Samsung just pushed the Note 7 always on display clocks to the S7/E. Hopefully more Note UI updates will be pushed to us soon too!

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
You may get weird mms issues on that note 4. My vzw note 4 I had to put special apn settings to get 4glte and mms working properly. Too bad I gave it to my honey as her s4 was too small.
yeah, thanks. I looked up how to input the correct apn settings.

Only thing it seems to fail at is sending photos via mms. It will just process forever but never actually send. Other than that one thing- works great.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Samsung just pushed the Note 7 always on display clocks to the S7/E. Hopefully more Note UI updates will be pushed to us soon too!
Now my notifications are broke completely. I used to get the icons, now nothing.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Put this in your mmsc settings http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

And this in your apn type setting

default,supl,admin,dun,mms
Thanks. But I assume these are settings for T-Mobile? Because I'm on AT&T.

I used settings from AT&T's site that are fairly similar just with more obvious att network references, but then I've also seen conflicting settings posted other places.

So far it's no biggie because transferring images using whatsapp works fine, and mms works fine otherwise.

I'm also probably not keeping this long. I feel like experimenting with a cheap Chinese phone for a bit until something better comes along from Samsung or whoever.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I am curious, why doesn't Samsung brick the phone with a custom firmware forced to all phones?
That would basically force everyone to turn it in.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
They could do that, but it wouldn't get everybody. People who had already rooted won't pull the OTAs, and some people haven't even turned in their original-run device. There was a guy on XDA asking how to mod his first-run Note 7 to a green battery icon so he can keep using it.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I am curious, why doesn't Samsung brick the phone with a custom firmware forced to all phones?
That would basically force everyone to turn it in.

They will, first they'll send out nag screens at increasing frequency, then kill it. Their liability is massive here and they have no choice, they'll probably get a directive from the CPSC to cover them. There were over a million still active on Weds, they can't ignore the risk. The carriers may beat them to it.

As far as hacking the things, if someone knowingly hacks one to continue using it, and it hurts a third party, Samsung has much less exposure to litigation if that's the case.

Last edited: