Galaxy Note 7

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Return it ... and then what? be without phone service for weeks? It is not like Samsung is offering loaner phone in the mean time
Each carrier is handling it differently, including loaner phones in some cases (I believe it's sprint).

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Return it ... and then what? be without phone service for weeks? It is not like Samsung is offering loaner phone in the mean time

Depends on the carrier. (And of course if you got the phone from the carrier or elsewhere.

http://m.androidcentral.com/how-return-your-galaxy-note-7-verizon-att-t-mobile-or-sprint

AT&T, for example, will loan you any phone you want in the meantime - no fee- then exchange that loaner device for a new N7 when they become available.

I can't see why any carrier would do it any other way really. Otherwise, sure who would bother if they are gonna just be without a loaner, or expected to just swap for a different phone permanently.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
They're the phone company - they don't have to care. They know you'll still keep coming back.
As time goes on they're getting more and more competitive. How they handle stuff like this is starting to make a difference

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
New ones came in yesterday to Best Buy. Got mine swapped this morning. There was a report that the battery indicator on the status bar was going to be Green, that's false... luckily. Would have stood out like a sore thumb.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Paladin, what is on the sticker on your box? Does yours have the "S" on the box? The battery indicator is supposed to be green - and the new ones aren't supposed to be anywhere till the 21st.

My local Best Buy had an older one in their stock room, but they weren't allowed to sell it, despite the IMEI passing the check on Samsung's website. It wasn't a box marked with proper markings.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
The sticker looks standard, I don't see a 'S' on the box. There are others reporting that their new ones don't have a green battery too. Samsung stated that the new stock would be "BY" the 21st, not on or after.
Where did you hear about proper markings?
And yeah, I did double check on Samsung's website when I got home that the IMEI passed.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Honestly, if Best Buy is selling original stock that was confirmed to have a good battery, I'm OK with it. There's no difference, and I'm glad I don't have a green battery. Time will tell if that's what Best Buy is doing. I did confirm my original had the bad battery.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
If a Note 7 was made in China or from a factory other than the one where the bad battery problems came from (in Korea as I understand it) then I don't see why anyone would care if it's an original not affected, or new stock not affected.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
If a Note 7 was made in China or from a factory other than the one where the bad battery problems came from (in Korea as I understand it) then I don't see why anyone would care if it's an original not affected, or new stock not affected.

Only issue I can see is the hassle of dealing with bans of the Note 7 on airlines, trains, etc. without a quick way of identifying a Note 7 that isn't a risk, it looks to be a potential PITA.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
^ Yeah that is true, good point.

It's my belief as much as is being made of this right now, it'll be forgotten by most everyone, easily within a year.

Similar to all iPhone 6's were going to bend in everyone's pocket... anyone really concerned about that now?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
^ Yeah that is true, good point.

It's my belief as much as is being made of this right now, it'll be forgotten by most everyone, easily within a year.

Similar to all iPhone 6's were going to bend in everyone's pocket... anyone really concerned about that now?

Rather a big difference between some people sitting on phones and bending them, and phones when operating as designed cause personal harm and property damage, don't you think?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
It's a batch of defective batteries, not the Note 7 itself. Only people ruled by FUD will care eventually, everyone else will move on.

And there were plenty of people making hay about bending iPhones when that was a thing. Now... most everyone has moved on.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Maybe Samsung should just arrange so carriers give you a free fire extinguisher with the N7

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Anyone else pickup their new one yet?
I don't think this is a placebo effect, but I'm getting significantly better battery life on the new 'good' battery. Last night at 9PM, I was at 50% battery with over 4 hours of screen on time. I've checked most apps, and I believe I have everything syncing/notifications that I had on before (such as CNN app breaking news alerts as an example), except NFL Mobile alerts - it's not on. I'll keep checking though.

Also, what I had guessed about the green battery seems to be true, it's going to be a software update. Uggh
http://www.droid-life.com/2016/09/19/is-my-galaxy-note-7-safe/#more-191542

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I just got mine a couple hours ago. Doing the initial charge now. Best Buy didn't ask for anything, didn't even comment on my missing S-Pen. I now have two of every accessory, and two S-Pens.

The new one seems to be a touch more fluid, too. No lag I can find. Still need to pair/setup my BT devices, my fingerprints, banking and apps, ugh.

The battery icon is an update. Mine pulled it as soon as it was activated, still in-store. It was white OOB.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Interesting you got the update for the battery. I just did a software update check and it says I'm up to date. I do have the black square on the sticker on my box.