Ga. has followed GOP playbook to 50th in the nation....in almost everything.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Here, Google doesn't seem to be your thing either. This factors in a lot more than just sales taxes.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/personal-finance/top-10-states-with-the-highest-taxes.html/?a=viewall

"This comparison was based on nine different types of taxation: real estate taxes, state and local income taxes, vehicle property taxes, vehicle sales taxes, sales and use taxes, fuel taxes, alcohol taxes, food taxes, and telecom taxes."

#1. NY Barely beat out #2. California, but did I lie? Hardly pal. Let me rephrase this then. California has the highest taxes and 3rd highest oil production in the nation. By that argument they should be blowing all other states away, but they aren't.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You do realize you linked to sales tax right?

Title:State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2014

Reading comprehension isn't who's thing?

Here, Google doesn't seem to be your thing either. This factors in a lot more than just sales taxes.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/personal-finance/top-10-states-with-the-highest-taxes.html/?a=viewall

"This comparison was based on nine different types of taxation: real estate taxes, state and local income taxes, vehicle property taxes, vehicle sales taxes, sales and use taxes, fuel taxes, alcohol taxes, food taxes, and telecom taxes."

#1. NY Barely beat out #2. California, but did I lie? Hardly pal. Let me rephrase this then. California has the highest taxes and 3rd highest oil production in the nation. By that argument they should be blowing all other states away, but they aren't.

Are you seriously going to start off the new year acting this stupid?

First off; I stated that there is no correlation between tax rates and economic growth, you have yet to contest that, repeatedly. Convenient don't you think? What's even funnier is that your example of using California and New York only help my case not yours.

Second and really unimportant to the discussion; you are basing your claim on a study that ranks "taxes" against the mean pre tax income of the US. Do I need to explain the issue with that to you?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Wouldn't GDP *per capita* be a better metric than job growth rate?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP_per_capita

That is, it seems that the more room you have for improvement, the higher your growth rate could be.

I don't see why it would. Small populations with a high value widget would give rediculous results. For instance, using GDP per capita, puts DC at the top spot by a wide margin. I've never heard anyone say DC is the role model by which all other states should model their economic policies.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Are you seriously going to start off the new year acting this stupid?

First off; I stated that there is no correlation between tax rates and economic growth, you have yet to contest that, repeatedly. Convenient don't you think? What's even funnier is that your example of using California and New York only help my case not yours.

Second and really unimportant to the discussion; you are basing your claim on a study that ranks "taxes" against the mean pre tax income of the US. Do I need to explain the issue with that to you?

Then instead of going after me, go after the OP who absolutely is suggesting that there is a correlation between tax rates and economic growth. It's the second sentence in his post and the third in the link he posted. I am trying to prove otherwise. Or are you just stuck on stupid thinking that everything that comes out of a conservative's mouth is a lie? You already tried linking to stuff on the web and that didn't work to well. Got anything else?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Then instead of going after me, go after the OP who absolutely is suggesting that there is a correlation between tax rates and economic growth. It's the second sentence in his post and the third in the link he posted. I am trying to prove otherwise. Or are you just stuck on stupid thinking that everything that comes out of a conservative's mouth is a lie? You already tried linking to stuff on the web and that didn't work to well. Got anything else?

And the double down continues.

You know that part of the article you quoted? Do you know why it was in quotes? Do you know why the author of the article referenced that little fact? Well you would if you had decent reading comprehension skills.

Let me help you; after quoting the tax foundations findings the author says this:

But sometimes ideological experiments bring unintended outcomes.

Followed by statements like this:

“This is what a state looks like when you have a hands-off, laissez-faire approach to the economy,” said Michael Wald, a former Bureau of Labor Statistics economist in Atlanta. “Georgia is basically a low-wage, low-tax, low-service state, that’s the approach they’ve been taking for a very long time.”

What's that? A comment about republican economic policies besides just taxes?

Gee, more comments on failed policies not directly related to taxes:
Governor Deal has emphasized time and again that he believes it is the role of government to get out of the way and let the private sector stimulate the economy. Georgia was among the first states to cut back the duration of unemployment benefits available to its residents to 18 weeks from 26. The state has slashed $8.3 billion from public-school funding since 2003 and passed eligibility requirements for a state financial-aid program that caused a dramatic decline in the number of students in technical colleges.

Now the author is quoting a policy expert about what makes good economic policy (again they are talking about more than just taxes).
“It’s a misconception that these so-called, business-friendly policies are closely related to stronger economic growth,” said Wesley Tharpe, an analyst with the Georgia Budget and Policy Institute. “A state’s economy depends on an educated workforce, transportation infrastructure, public safety, reliable street cleaning and snow removal.”

Do you get it now or would you like to kick off the new year with a triple down on stupid?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
And the double down continues.

You know that part of the article you quoted? Do you know why it was in quotes? Do you know why the author of the article referenced that little fact? Well you would if you had decent reading comprehension skills.

Let me help you; after quoting the tax foundations findings the author says this:

Followed by statements like this:

What's that? A comment about republican economic policies besides just taxes?

Gee, more comments on failed policies not directly related to taxes:

Now the author is quoting a policy expert about what makes good economic policy (again they are talking about more than just taxes).

Do you get it now or would you like to kick off the new year with a triple down on stupid?

I am sorry, I knew better than to read an article without my liberal to English dictionary. Clearly when an article starts out with a statement about taxes, it clearly isn't what they mean. And when they make claims that other factors are at work as well, it clearly gives you the option to totally dismiss the claim about taxes.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I am sorry, I knew better than to read an article without my liberal to English dictionary. Clearly when an article starts out with a statement about taxes, it clearly isn't what they mean. And when they make claims that other factors are at work as well, it clearly gives you the option to totally dismiss the claim about taxes.
If someone said to you "not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration and is bad for you" you wouldn't go "Why are you telling me to hold my head in a bucket of water? Do you want me to drown?".

Saying that low taxes are bad for an economy is not the same as saying high taxes are good for an economy.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
If someone said to you "not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration and is bad for you" you wouldn't go "Why are you telling me to hold my head in a bucket of water? Do you want me to drown?".

Saying that low taxes are bad for an economy is not the same as saying high taxes are good for an economy.

That is one of the worst analogies I have seen in a while. And low taxes seem to only be bad for an economy when a Republican is in change. Bush tax cuts were bad for the economy. Obama extending those tax cuts was good for the economy. Georgia's low taxes under the GOP is bad.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That is one of the worst analogies I have seen in a while. And low taxes seem to only be bad for an economy when a Republican is in change. Bush tax cuts were bad for the economy. Obama extending those tax cuts was good for the economy. Georgia's low taxes under the GOP is bad.

Yes, deficit financed tax cuts during a time of economic expansion are a bad idea. Deficit financed tax cuts during a time of economic weakness are not a bad idea.

We have been over this several times. Just because the answers are politically inconvenient doesn't make them not true. Republicans made a bunch of really bad economic decisions and during this recession they tried to make even more.

The smart thing to do would be to own those mistakes, change your thinking in the face of evidence, and move forward.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yes, deficit financed tax cuts during a time of economic expansion are a bad idea. Deficit financed tax cuts during a time of economic weakness are not a bad idea.

We have been over this several times. Just because the answers are politically inconvenient doesn't make them not true. Republicans made a bunch of really bad economic decisions and during this recession they tried to make even more.

The smart thing to do would be to own those mistakes, change your thinking in the face of evidence, and move forward.

And yet here we are bashing Georgia for having low taxes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And yet here we are bashing Georgia for having low taxes.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. You mentioned Bush and Obama. Those are federal tax reductions financed by deficit spending. Georgia does not have the same ability to do that as the federal government does. Instead of deficit spending, Georgia just provides foolishly low levels of public services.

So what is the question here?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That is one of the worst analogies I have seen in a while.

It's not meant to particularly analogous to the situation, it's meant to show you the mistake in thinking you're making.

And low taxes seem to only be bad for an economy when a Republican is in change. Bush tax cuts were bad for the economy. Obama extending those tax cuts was good for the economy.

You seem very, very keen to just make it a pissing match between two opposing parties rather than addressing the specific issue.
You can look at policies and issues without checking if you're standing in line with your parties ideology first if you like.

Georgia's low taxes under the GOP is bad.

Well it seems self evident that it isn't good.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So why the spike in unemployment starting last May? Otherwise before that spike they did have lower unemployment rates than other more heavily taxed states.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
For a second I thought you typed this up yourself and I was impressed.

Interesting stuff. I've never been to Georgia, I don't know why anybody would go there. Maybe people's cars broke down and they couldn't afford gas to leave due to unemployment?

That's how I envision the settlement of Georgia.

I'm going to assume you are joking around. I was born in Atlanta and a lot of my family lives in Savannah. Ga is a very beautiful state in certain areas. There is a lot of poverty but it goes back many, many decades and is not a new issue for the state and it isn't something that can be fixed by a simple tax hike.

FWIW, when you are one of the poorest states, then of course the tax revenue per capita is going to be low. That is an effect of being poor, not necessarily the cause of being poor.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It's not meant to particularly analogous to the situation, it's meant to show you the mistake in thinking you're making.

You seem very, very keen to just make it a pissing match between two opposing parties rather than addressing the specific issue.
You can look at policies and issues without checking if you're standing in line with your parties ideology first if you like.

Well it seems self evident that it isn't good.

When you want to claim tax rates have an economic impact, but only want to use low rates as examples, that seems more like standing in line with a certain party.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So why the spike in unemployment starting last May? Otherwise before that spike they did have lower unemployment rates than other more heavily taxed states.

Trying to read Georgia articles from around that time, it would seem the spike was from layoffs of local government and teachers (makes sense since May is end of school year typically). Georgia seems to be cutting education spending to the point of collapse, from reading the articles (gloom and doom withstanding).

Was also a mention that new college grads in GA are having a hard time finding jobs but not sure it's any worse there than the rest of the country.

Edit: Found it...it's the Democratic controlled government - Obama and the Senate - that did it in an election year:

http://www.governing.com/news/headl...rs-unique-theory-on-unemployment-numbers.html

"It's ironic that in a year in which Republican governors are leading some of the states that are making the most progress, that they almost, without exception, are classified as having a bump in their unemployment rates," he said. "Whereas states that are under Democrat governors' control, they are all showing that their unemployment rate has dropped."

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
When you want to claim tax rates have an economic impact, but only want to use low rates as examples, that seems more like standing in line with a certain party.
Eh?

It was stated that very low tax rates can be actively bad for the economy for a variety of reasons, this is not the same as saying that high tax rates are good for the economy just that they don't have anywhere near the effect of low tax rates.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Eh?

It was stated that very low tax rates can be actively bad for the economy for a variety of reasons, this is not the same as saying that high tax rates are good for the economy just that they don't have anywhere near the effect of low tax rates.

But you can't have it both ways.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
These are the same buffoons who had their crops spoil because they scared off all their labor force.

They want to wallow in it, let them.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
If only paper pushing was a natural resource then the democrats wouldn't need no stinking natural resources for their cities.

Right. We all know the only two ways for a state to contribute is A) "Paper Pushing" or B) Exploiting the environment for short term gain

/s

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013

This is great! Everybody should read this, and understand why taxes are NECESSARY!

#1 and #2 ranked CA and NY are ranked 51st and 50th in effective tax rate, and are each ranked #1 and #2 in overall GDP.

This article doesn't exactly support your argument, however, Matt1970.