[G3D]Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Review

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
but I never understand why they keep testing those resolutions and settings where you get 200fps :mad:

Just to provide a method for comparison. It also shows how much overhead the card has at those resolutions if you wanted to throw in absurd amounts of AA or try DSR.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Just to provide a method for comparison. It also shows how much overhead the card has at those resolutions if you wanted to throw in absurd amounts of AA or try DSR.

If you are getting 200fps time to change some settings :D

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
If you are getting 200fps time to change some settings :D

Absolutely agreed. I like seeing the 1080p and 4k benchmarks. I'm on a 1080p TV, so the 1080p benchmarks are valuable in how much eye candy I can possibly turn on. The 4k benchmarks are a good idea at how it will perform with DSR, which is gorgeous.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I have the regular AMP and I am happy with it. I should have waited for this beast but didn't want the 3 slot deficit.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
It seems like AIB's are going for max speed out of the box and disregarding noise levels. Kind of disappointing. EVGA seems to have gotten it right with their SC+, and that may be the first time I've ever complimented EVGA. Usually their product lineup characteristics are meh meh meh vs. MSI's twin frozr or Gigabytes windforce coolers.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
It seems like AIB's are going for max speed out of the box and disregarding noise levels. Kind of disappointing. EVGA seems to have gotten it right with their SC+, and that may be the first time I've ever complimented EVGA. Usually their product lineup characteristics are meh meh meh vs. MSI's twin frozr or Gigabytes windforce coolers.

Well, the regular AMP is silent under load so you do have choice. I noticed the review on Hexus has a different fan profile than mine and also the fans stop on the regular AMP too. The review samples must have an older bios and it could be true for this sample as well.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Just got this card and the back plate is just flat black with no graphics like you see everywhere. I have to contact zotac and see what's going on. But a member in another forum reported that zotac told him that not all of them come with the graphics.

I think that's BS since that's all they advertise and even the review card had it.

Might send it back, unless I have a golden chip.

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015

I long ago tired of AIB coolers (and reference coolers). I've run watercooled graphics cards since 2007 and haven't even dreamed of going back. And none of this AIO business; custom loops.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Quote:
"Compared to the GeForce GTX 980 Ti at 2560x1440 you can expect an increase of up-to say 25% performance (over the reference GeForce GTX 980 Ti) and overclocked you can add another 10%. We really do like the Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! Extreme edition, it is a tremendously fast clocked product that keeps temps under control"

WOW, that's a fast card.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Great review!

I was able to snag an EVGA GTX980 TI SC with backplate which I'm going to watercool with an EK TitanX waterblock. I intend to install it in my rig below to replace my 2 R9 290s. I should be done by the weekend so I'll post some of my benchies.

Sabrewings, nice rig!():):awe:

Last edited:

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
Great review!

I was able to snag an EVGA GTX980 TI SC with backplate which I'm going to watercool with an EK TitanX waterblock. I intend to install it in my rig below to replace my 2 R9 290s. I should be done by the weekend so I'll post some of my benchies.

Sabrewings, nice rig!():):awe:
It would be awesome.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
Just got this card and the back plate is just flat black with no graphics like you see everywhere. I have to contact zotac and see what's going on. But a member in another forum reported that zotac told him that not all of them come with the graphics.

I think that's BS since that's all they advertise and even the review card had it.

Might send it back, unless I have a golden chip.

I'd complain and demand a new backplate.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I am not sure why bigger news hasn't been made on forums, but Zotac seems to now offer class leading worldwide warranty - 5 years for most of the world and lifetime for North America The best part is this Extended/Lifetime warranty comes free vs. say EVGA that charges extra for 5- and 10-year warranty extensions.

If one registers the card within 28 days of purchase, you get lifetime warranty in North America (NA). That's huge when it comes to people who buy more than 1 of these cards ($1300-1400 is a big investment to have a peace of mind) and when it comes to resale.

WD-table-gl.jpg

Source

Warranty is one of those things where it's not a big deal until you have to use one and then it becomes a really big deal or you just washed $650 into the toilet. This is definitely going to be something I keep in mind for my next NV purchase.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Since I wanted to go Corsair HG10 N980 bracket with my H60 cooler I needed a ref PCB 980 Ti.

Imagine to my dismay that this card is just that and it was in stock at the same time as the plain Zotac I bought. I'd have gotten for the better cooler (while I wait for the Corsair bracket to launch) and most importantly a nice back plate.

Instead I ordered one from EVGA and now have a Frankenstein card :(

(The EVGA SC kept going in and out of stock so fast and I couldn't snag one of them, now they seem to be plentiful. Curse my impatience!)

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Last 4 pics not showing up for me.

Zotac email me back saying they will give me a shipping label to send back to put the correct plate on.

I asked if they could send it to me and I would swap it. Still haven't had the chance to check how good a chip I have. If is good I will keep it if not I will send it back to newegg.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Finally had some time to play with it.

Holds 1417 boost from the factory right around 67 or so degrees. House temp is 77. I might be keeping this one and sending it in for a backplate replacement since is running so good. Asic is 70.

I did update my bios and did the Nvidia PCIe 3.0 patch for my mobo and cpu. It was not working for some reason, but last time i exited BF4 i ran it again and it showed 3.0.

I am having some weird delay and failure to function on the keyboard sometime. Need to troubleshoot some more.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
Do you have a picture of the black backplate? Does it not match the card at all?

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Thats it? Missing logo/print? Personally I wouldnt think it worth sending back just to change the plate.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
You have a one of a kind card now. I'd leave it, makes the card look classier.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Thats it? Missing logo/print? Personally I wouldnt think it worth sending back just to change the plate.

Honestly, they should send you a new plate and not require any back and forth on the card itself. Their gaf, it's false advertisement. You could be like that dude in his state and basically get money out of it! Haha.

GF bought a Corolla, came with Prius mats even though it was listed with Corolla Mats. Dealer gave her Corolla mats and let her keep Prius mats. Not a big issue (they're mats after all) but just holding corporations to their advertisements is important.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I personally like the look of it better without the graphic. The Zotac logo and graphic pattern is nice, but the "Push The Limit" thing is a bit goofy IMO.

Either way, Zotac advertise the card with the graphic and should give you the correct back plate without you having to ship the card to them.

I'll be interested to see how they handle this in light of Russian's post about the warranty. While it looks great on paper, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I've owned a Zotac card before, it was a good card, and didn't have any issues; but I've heard some very mixed reviews about Zotac service.