[G3D]Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I personally like the look of it better without the graphic. The Zotac logo and graphic pattern is nice, but the "Push The Limit" thing is a bit goofy IMO.

Either way, Zotac advertise the card with the graphic and should give you the correct back plate without you having to ship the card to them.

I'll be interested to see how they handle this in light of Russian's post about the warranty. While it looks great on paper, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I've owned a Zotac card before, it was a good card, and didn't have any issues; but I've heard some very mixed reviews about Zotac service.

Ah good point. As a Zotac user this would be good for me too. Last RMA I had to do was with MSI and I was super satisfied.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Well i like the graphics, that was one point of buying it too.

They said they rather fix it or swap it than send a back plate, because the screws that hold it in place could be damage when taking off and break off or something.

Not sure what to do.

Just checked newegg again, and now the picture they have up shows no graphics. WTH!

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well i like the graphics, that was one point of buying it too.

They said they rather fix it or swap it than send a back plate, because the screws that hold it in place could be damage when taking off and break off or something.

Not sure what to do.

Just checked newegg again, and now the picture they have up shows no graphics. WTH!

Tried contact Newegg? Man, it's times like these that make me love Amazon. Similar issue but another product, was missing something that was shown in the pictures even listed in the description.

Amazon gave me 20% cost back as an apology. Why them MoFos are taking over the world.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I wouldn't personally be concerned about a graphic on a backplate since I never look into the case really unless I'm tweaking something. Also, if bought on Amazon then the return policy is incredible and so easy its insane. They do everything for you and send a new product instantly.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
You have a one of a kind card now. I'd leave it, makes the card look classier.

Lol the hilarious thing I bet someone would pay extra or swap with you and pay you to get that card.

I would never own a window case though so I don't care what components look like.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Damn you guys are killing me.

I would had buy Amazon but I get taxed, is like 40 plus box for this card.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

I bet you $40 you get another without a graphic on the backplate. :p

Ma_Deuce

Jun 19, 2015
Ah good point. As a Zotac user this would be good for me too. Last RMA I had to do was with MSI and I was super satisfied.

I had to RMA my 780 amp! with them. Overall the whole process went very smooth. I would definitely consider purchasing from them again.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

True, that's the biggest down side to Amazon. Which is why I end up buying most of my PC parts from Newegg. But everything else, pretty much Amazon has me covered.

They made me right on my BLOD PS4 when Sony was still trying to figure out how to fulfill their second pre-order push.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Well I figure out my keyboard lag issue.

Yesterday I played for a while and this time I didn't turn on evga precision to leave monitoring in the background and my lag/delay went away.
Guess I will try afterburner again and hope it does not cause any crashes.

Also I might have to reinstall OS, sometimes when the screen switches from windows to the game is just black, I have to alt tab several times and mess with the minimized game screen to get it right.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
True, that's the biggest down side to Amazon. Which is why I end up buying most of my PC parts from Newegg. But everything else, pretty much Amazon has me covered.

They made me right on my BLOD PS4 when Sony was still trying to figure out how to fulfill their second pre-order push.

I don't mind the tax. It's how it's going to be eventually for every website anyway.

It's worth it for the Amazon customer support. Overnighting you a new part when the old one isn't working at no cost to you is top notch support. The build in my sig I put together last month. One of the hard drives only lasted two hours. Made the ticket on Sunday afternoon, by Monday afternoon a new drive was on my doorstep. Absolutely worth it.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Well my card arrived at Zotac last Friday. I got an email on Monday stating they had received it, i was a bit worry because the email stated wait up to 30 days. I sent and email out to the rep i was emailing back and fwd and he told me should only be a few days.

Well yesterday i got two more email, one stating RMA complete and another with tracking number.

I just hope they corrected the issue, will keep you guys updated.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
This will be a good test to see how Zotac corrected the issue. If you haven't already, make sure you register your card.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I am not sure why bigger news hasn't been made on forums, but Zotac seems to now offer class leading worldwide warranty - 5 years for most of the world and lifetime for North America The best part is this Extended/Lifetime warranty comes free vs. say EVGA that charges extra for 5- and 10-year warranty extensions.

It looks like they don't offer one thing that EVGA does -- transferable warranties. If you tend to upgrade your card every 1-2 years, having a warranty available when you sell the old card is a nice selling point.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
This will be a good test to see how Zotac corrected the issue. If you haven't already, make sure you register your card.

Actually when i contacted them for the issue, they registered the card for me and created and account. Since their website is going an upgrade and some of the features dont work, or so they said.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
It looks like they don't offer one thing that EVGA does -- transferable warranties. If you tend to upgrade your card every 1-2 years, having a warranty available when you sell the old card is a nice selling point.

Isn't evga only 2 or 3 year warranty? By them there should not be much left.

SirWak

Jul 26, 2015
YAY! Just ordered a new Alienware 13 with a brand spakin' new GTX 980! :biggrin::awe:

tdslam720

Jun 10, 2015
I am not sure why bigger news hasn't been made on forums, but Zotac seems to now offer class leading worldwide warranty - 5 years for most of the world and lifetime for North America The best part is this Extended/Lifetime warranty comes free vs. say EVGA that charges extra for 5- and 10-year warranty extensions.

If one registers the card within 28 days of purchase, you get lifetime warranty in North America (NA). That's huge when it comes to people who buy more than 1 of these cards ($1300-1400 is a big investment to have a peace of mind) and when it comes to resale.

WD-table-gl.jpg

Source

Warranty is one of those things where it's not a big deal until you have to use one and then it becomes a really big deal or you just washed $650 into the toilet. This is definitely going to be something I keep in mind for my next NV purchase.

Your source says 3 years with registration

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Isn't evga only 2 or 3 year warranty? By them there should not be much left.

The last time I sold one, I had about a year left on my warranty. The person that bought my card will probably never use it, but I look at it this way... it's a selling point. It's like I tell my friend when he goes to sell stuff, it's all about presentation. If I can use the transferable warranty to make my used item look better than another person's used item, you know that I'm going to do it!

The table shows 3 years with registration for video cards below $200 MSRP, and lifetime for video cards above $200 MSRP. If your card costs exactly $200? You're in limbo! :biggrin:

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
I bet you $40 you get another without a graphic on the backplate. :p

I would be $40 richer today.

The last time I sold one, I had about a year left on my warranty. The person that bought my card will probably never use it, but I look at it this way... it's a selling point. It's like I tell my friend when he goes to sell stuff, it's all about presentation. If I can use the transferable warranty to make my used item look better than another person's used item, you know that I'm going to do it!

:

True.

Just got my card back, after a freaking battle with Fedex and their excuses.

Card was very well packed, and they did do the work then said, installed a new plate on the current card. The only thing is the serial number sticker looks a bit like crap since they had to remove it and place it on the new plate.

Will take a few days or longer to test and see how is doing before i can feel comfortable. And im going to be working for a while :'(

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Now it does but not when I posted the chart directly from Zotac's website. Looks like either someone at Zotac played a cruel joke or they went back to their old policies:

Source 1 - Extended 3 years in US/Canada
Source 2 - Zotac Global now has an updated chart with only 3 years for North America
Source 3 - again says 3 years

That's too bad then as Lifetime would have really separated them from the rest of the field. If this is a permanent change, that's very unfortunate considering they offer 5 years in Europe, India and APAC but only 3 in North America.

Rvenger

Apr 6, 2004
I would be $40 richer today.

True.

Just got my card back, after a freaking battle with Fedex and their excuses.

Card was very well packed, and they did do the work then said, installed a new plate on the current card. The only thing is the serial number sticker looks a bit like crap since they had to remove it and place it on the new plate.

Will take a few days or longer to test and see how is doing before i can feel comfortable. And im going to be working for a while :'(

Replace the TIM. Other's are shaving 8-10c off the temps due to the crappy TIM on these cards. Glad they replaced the backplate and gave you your original card back. I wonder why they couldn't just print you a new serial number sticker instead.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
You think is worth it?

Card does around 67 69 Celsius while playing BF4 and holds 1417 clock.

Yeah I might ask about a new serial number label, I'm guessing they are made in China and tightly controlled.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I don't mind the tax. It's how it's going to be eventually for every website anyway.

It's worth it for the Amazon customer support. Overnighting you a new part when the old one isn't working at no cost to you is top notch support. The build in my sig I put together last month. One of the hard drives only lasted two hours. Made the ticket on Sunday afternoon, by Monday afternoon a new drive was on my doorstep. Absolutely worth it.

Amazon has always gone the extra mile for me to, I love buying from them. Seconded.