[G3D] Call Of Duty Black Ops II VGA Graphics performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I don't know why this is even a topic, we KNOW COD is just the same game as last year and the year before, and the same console port as last year and the year before.

The performance hit is really the problem here. This looks like artificial performance limitations being done in order to get new computers/GPU's sold. With Crysis I didn't mind because it was actually the best looking game... when the game looks exactly the same as it used too then its bullshit.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
If someone just wants to frag out COD style, Blacklight Retribution is a free to play game on Steam. There you go, just saved yourself $100.

I don't know why this is even a topic, we KNOW COD is just the same game as last year and the year before, and the same console port as last year and the year before.

Ya, nothing unexpected. Still, it means millions of gamers are giving $ to buy the same game and it hurts any other developer in the FPS genre who is struggling to get published. Games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 1/Warhead will become increasingly rare. Based on BO2 and last COD's sales, COD is growing, not declining.

Next year get ready for MW4. :cool:

The performance hit is really the problem here. This looks like artificial performance limitations being done in order to get new computers/GPU's sold. With Crysis I didn't mind because it was actually the best looking game... when the game looks exactly the same as it used too then its bullshit.

Ya, precisely. DX11 but the game doesn't look good and the performance is not great given the level of graphics.

Last edited:

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Hey guys there's another FPS game out. Don't play any other ones avaliable just get this f2p one!

Oh also, don't pay for WoW, Runescape's a free mmo. save money.

Don't unlock weapons, rent them!

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I have to agree, it's sad to see the continuous success of such game, and the negative impact it have on the rest of industry trying to follow that path to the $$$

the last COD I tried to play the SP I gave up on the second mission, it was so boring and linear, the MP was nothing special, I played in total for 1 hour and never touched it again... (I think it was "MW2")

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Its funny because its actually pretty damn fun. Best COD since COD4 for me. Zombies TranZit is a ton of fun with 8 friends.

Loving the art style on the MP maps, but I rather dislike the the low recoil smgs they need to work on.

Performance wise, its way smoother then the first Black ops which is a complete stutterfest and never worked properly for me.

Can't say I'm a fan of TXAA, just blurs everything.

MangoX

Feb 13, 2001
Something is wrong with the first graph... The 5870 and 7870 have the same fps but yet the bar for the 7870 is longer.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
What a crappy looking game. It's too bad that people swallow this BS up, which just enables the devs to do nothing innovative. Console graphics in a massively popular game ftw :thumbsdown:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Majority of gamers out there don't care about graphics.

Out of my group of friends, all of them are happy with level of graphics a 360 provides now.

Can't fault Activision here, they are bank rolling off these games because people still buy them like crazy. Until people really start complaining, they will continue too. Like I said, we're the minority here, even with PC Gaming.

Top VGA Cards on latest steam survey:

Intel HD Graphics 30004.25%+0.18%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 3.08% -0.10%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2.44% +0.02%
Intel HD Graphics 2.20% -0.04%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2.09% -0.09%
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1.91% -0.14%
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 1.80% -0.12%
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 1.74% -0.08%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1.73% +0.01%
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

Last edited:

stylez777

Mar 5, 2012
I have to admit here that I was never a big FPS fan. Even way back in the day when games like Unreal Tournament, Half-life and counter strike (yes real FPS games) ruled the scene I thought FPS games would eventually kill gaming.

It's a sad fact that we live in a world now that the majority want quick simple games to play that have little to no attention span required to play. As long as the graphics are passable and there is constant movement and action they are happy! (think about all the bad hollywood movies with all cgi effects and no acting that have made millions of dollars). People do not want to think anymore. People do not want games that challenge them to have to think. Go look at all the thousands of threads for any challenging game (even some non challenging ones) of people asking for walkthroughs, guides and how to beat X missions. Nobody wants to take the time to accomplish it for themselves anymore.

Man back in the day (the good old days) I remember buying a game for the PC say something like Kings Quest or Monkey Island or even Gabriel Knight series those games you spent hours upon hours trying to figure out puzzles and what you had to do to advance the story and complete the game. Friends would call each other on the phone or talk in school about how hard something was to get past (there are plenty of other games that this happened with too). They challenged your mind and your logic/deduction skills. Yes there are games that still come out in modern times that are similar and have difficulty to them but it's not made for the masses.

All we are left with now are rehash after rehash of COD with a coat of paint slapped on and it's all about the multiplayer so people can run around maps spraying machines guns at the floor and hurling grenades and using vulgar language towards others while doing it. sad. COD BO1 the whole single player campaign while short was actually interesting if you sat back and thought about it. It was mostly wasted because a large portion of the people who even played it had NO IDEA what these events were based upon. Some of the older FPS games I mentioned earlier I can pop in and they will run 100x better and in someways are still far superior to current COD games and their clones both graphically and physics wise.

Ultimately the game makers will go where the money is and COD is a cash cow. The will continue to make it and rip it off because the masses will buy it. Since the games sell millions of copies they won't care about pushing the graphics envelope they'll just keep pushing out a mediocre product and raping in the rewards. I'd stick with Witcher 2, Crysis, Skyrim and almost any other RPG/Adventure game before I even looked at COD again.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
My girlfriend told me last night she wanted Black Ops 2,keep in mind shes new to gaming period and as she gets owned in Battlefield,COD has actually helped her with her aim and skill so soon enough she will be ready for the big boy games.

I told her hell no to BO2 cause and i quote"its the same damn game as Black Ops,just looks and plays the same,if not worst this time cause of some hardware glitch."

Yeah,another friend of mine has a amd x2 550,4gb of ram and my old 8800gts 512mb and plays BLOPS with 4x aa and maxed settings,its more then fluid for her and all of a sudden BO2 requires like 3x the hardware LOL.

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
What happened between COD4 and BO2?

ATVI made $2.5B net income.
EA lost $2B in the same time-span.

Oh and game is hella funny
You might even say innovative at times (campaign).

Animation and facials are some of the best ever seen.

Story is corny beyond description.
The dialogues are so over the top, the message and the values the game promotes would embarrass me if I was US citizen. It's sooo ridiculous, but it suits the game and the pace perfectly.
I LOVE IT LOL!

Oh and no "OSCAR-MIKE" crap - HUUGE props for that :D

Last edited:

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010
I think the "computer" in the title is inclusive of all platforms (PS3, 360, Wii U and PC).

Headline "Call of Duty: Black Ops II set to become best selling computer game of all time"

Picture shows a kid buying it for Xbox 360. I don't know what they're saying..
Here in the UK (not sure this applies here) we refer Video Games as Computer Games (technically true considering Consoles are Computers) for all platforms, just clarifying.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Everyone always mentions zombies when talking about this game. Seriously, why is this considered a selling point? It's not the first game to have zombies nor the best. Hell Left for Dead did Multiplayer zombies before CoD did. Besides that, zombies are way overdone in every aspect of the media today and is totally boring. They are ruining a horror staple just like they did to vampires.

The best part about all this is the 13 year olds who think that the game is realistic and portrays any type of actual combat. So sad.

ATVI made $2.5B net income.
EA lost $2B in the same time-span.

Oh and game is hella funny
You might even say innovative at times (campaign).

Animation and facials are some of the best ever seen.

Story is corny beyond description.
The dialogues are so over the top, the message and the values the game promotes would embarrass me if I was US citizen. It's sooo ridiculous, but it suits the game and the pace perfectly.
I LOVE IT LOL!

Oh and no "OSCAR-MIKE" crap - HUUGE props for that :D

You have got to be joking. Have you even looked at other games for the last 3-4 years? Crysis 2, BF3, Metro 2033, I'd even go so far as to say Rage all had better animation and character face models.

Innovative Campaign? Because Mass Effect never made you choose the path for the story and Far Cry never gave you any freedom of choice right?

Last edited:

Lex Luger

Oct 11, 2011
Im not some huge CoD fan, but I doubt any of you people bashing BLOPS 2 have actually played it.

It has better graphics than any other cod that came before it, and much better graphics than any source engine game by about a mile.

Also, they added a FOV slider which is nice since FOV has been locked since CoD 5.

Seriously, what are you complaining about? If no CoD game had ever been released on Console and instead only on PC you would be calling this the best FPS yet, but since it was released on console, it is instantly a shit console port, even though the game has lots of configuration options. Console ports this generation are a infinitely better than console ports during the xbox, ps2 generation, but you clowns probably dont remember since you arent old enough to drink.

You CoD bashers sound like ungrateful morons. Would you be happy if it wasnt released on PC at all like Halo games? Less PC games is a good thing? Would it be better if they waited 12 months after releasing console version to release the pc version which some poorly tacked on dx11 effects like some developers.

BLOPS 2 is a improvment on last game in virtually every single area, yet you complain. Personally, Im impressed they are able to release high quality, polished mega titles once a year. Unlike games like Madden, there is a huge amount of work that goes into each release and is worked on by hundreds of people.

You want to see a crappy shooter, go play Red Orchestra 2, only released on PC, half finished, and a year later only 1 new map, and an upcoming PAID DLC expansion.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
You CoD bashers sound like ungrateful morons. Would you be happy if it wasnt released on PC at all like Halo games? Less PC games is a good thing? Would it be better if they waited 12 months after releasing console version to release the pc version which some poorly tacked on dx11 effects like some developers.

COD is one of the worst things to happen to gaming, period. It introduced the dreaded DLC, it introduced the idea that you can rehash the same game for 5 years in a row with minimal improvements in physics, AI, graphics. It made it seem normal that games should cost $60+$40 DLC = $100. It made it seem acceptable to have uninspiring linear FPS campaigns with no thinking involved. It meant that other game studios decided to copy the COD formula: make games even more accessible (health regeneration), hand-holding, guiding you throughout the entire game. In the process games like MOH and Crysis followed this path and got ruined too. The same thing is happening to Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, etc. It's not COD but the entire model that it brought that changed gaming forever. COD is like Justin Bieber and Britney Spears - it's crazy popular but once it fades, the industry will find itself in a rut since for 10 years they never bothered to learn how to make an interesting game. They are putting all their marbles into COD and if it goes the way of Guitar Hero, then what's their contingency plan? You can't make a totally different game if all you know how do it is make linear corridor style FPS games like COD. The COD model assumes future gamers will want games as watered down as COD is. They may be right as COD franchise is growing.

It would be better if COD was released every 3-4 years, with brand new graphics, animations, improved AI, physics and a solid campaign, no health regeneration, no hand-holding, no scripted events asking you to press a mouse button to watch 2 minutes of movie like sequence. You know like FPS games were made in the past. Go play Half Life 1 Black Mesa mod and then play COD and tell me which game is more innovative. COD now is just like a Transformers Hollywood movie - explosions, non-stop action, but after you finish the game you feel 0 satisfaction, you learned nothing, you didn't get challenged once.

It's like having 8 Transformers movies released in a row. Imagine 8-10 more COD games for next generation consoles. COD has now become the Madden of FPS games.

The graphics have improved compared to other COD? Not really. MW1 looks no worse than BO2. Besides, BO2 is not competing against older COD games, but against modern FPS like Crysis, Metro 2033. Even Unreal Tournament III and Far Cry 2 look better than BO2 and those games are from 2008.

People do not want to think anymore. People do not want games that challenge them to have to think. Go look at all the thousands of threads for any challenging game (even some non challenging ones) of people asking for walkthroughs, guides and how to beat X missions. Nobody wants to take the time to accomplish it for themselves anymore.

Ultimately the game makers will go where the money is and COD is a cash cow. The will continue to make it and rip it off because the masses will buy it. Since the games sell millions of copies they won't care about pushing the graphics envelope they'll just keep pushing out a mediocre product and raping in the rewards.

Excellent post.

The sales of Witcher 2 and Dishonored are an eye-opener at the sad state of gameplay young generation of gamers desire today. I don't think our generation wanted mindless/brain-dead shooters all the time only. I guess all the young kids being born don't know any better since they never started gaming in the 80s and probably missed a large part of the 90s. Like seriously health regeneration in a game? That's the most ridiculous thing in modern games. If a person gets shot in real life, they don't regenerate health. When I used to play Goldeneye 007, we always set it to Hardcore mode - 1 shot you die.

Witcher 2 only sold 530K units on Xbox 360. Dishonored barely cracked 550K on P3 and only 750K on 360. Ouch!
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/52941/dishonored/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/46887/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/

There is nothing wrong with COD per say, but because so many millions spend $ on COD annually, and gamers have limited funds, there is not enough $ to be left over for great games like Dishonored and Witcher 2 to be made because COD fanboys give $60-100 to Activision every year! If gamers aren't rewarding small studios who make unique games, what's the future, the entire FPS genre will become MMS COD style clones, with BF being the only other alternative?

This video is hilarious:
If Doom was done today (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA

I hope Far Cry 3 will sell well as it looks like a huge sandbox style game. There is nothing we can do really, besides voting with your wallet. If 25 million people want to buy COD, and that's the type of games the masses want, then the average FPS game will try to aim to be like COD. We've already seen many franchises being watered down.

Last edited:

stylez777

Mar 5, 2012
@Russian dude your post was too long for me to quote but damn it was dead on accurate! I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Gaming is always about preference. There is a market for COD games so they are made. Love it or hate it doesn't matter if it's being made it should try to push the envelope and not rehash the same crap year after year. It is the Madden of FPS no question!

DLC is something I think is taken too much advantage of. Sure the option to release add-ons to a game that you pay for is okay has been like this for years ont he PC a game comes out with an add-on and you bought it. The problem is when a game is sold for $60 and then features that should have been in the game at release get sold as DLC for the company to make more money is absurd! even more absurd is when people actually buy it!

I've played BO2 and beat the game in half a day. No challenge in the single player campaign. Looks pretty much the same as the last 3-4 COD games I played all flash with no substance or any resemblance of realistic physics based combat. Though this game is purchased by the majority for the multiplayer and really how is it any better than the last COD or BO in that regard that is worth $60?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Im not some huge CoD fan, but I doubt any of you people bashing BLOPS 2 have actually played it.

It has better graphics than any other cod that came before it, and much better graphics than any source engine game by about a mile.

Also, they added a FOV slider which is nice since FOV has been locked since CoD 5.

Seriously, what are you complaining about? If no CoD game had ever been released on Console and instead only on PC you would be calling this the best FPS yet, but since it was released on console, it is instantly a shit console port, even though the game has lots of configuration options. Console ports this generation are a infinitely better than console ports during the xbox, ps2 generation, but you clowns probably dont remember since you arent old enough to drink.

BLOPS 2 is a improvment on last game in virtually every single area, yet you complain. Personally, Im impressed they are able to release high quality, polished mega titles once a year. Unlike games like Madden, there is a huge amount of work that goes into each release and is worked on by hundreds of people.

You want to see a crappy shooter, go play Red Orchestra 2, only released on PC, half finished, and a year later only 1 new map, and an upcoming PAID DLC expansion.

Are you retarded? You call us morons for calling this what it is, and you make statements that make no sense. No self-respecting PC Gamer would seriously consider rehash after rehash on an ancient engine to be anywhere near "the best FPS yet". In fact it's the total opposite. I've played FPS games since 1987, and some half-assed console port does not a great PC game make.

For the console, it's a totally different story. I see the appeal there given the lack of other good options. BF3 was not a good console game, and the consoles themselves don't need a new engine because the hardware doesn't have any more to give.

Finally, you have to admit a game that can't run at 120fps even with TWO of the highest-end GPUs in existence combined with the most expensive enthusiast CPU on earth overclocked to 4.8Ghz at only 1080p is pretty sad. Particularly when you consider that there are no real DX11 features, they just did a piss-poor job of porting it to DX11 in the first place with no optimizations.

Jesus, COD is like a religion with some people. I'm not a hater on the console variants, it's popular there so you have tons of people to play with, there's not really any better choices for those platforms anyway, and less cheaters than PC for sure. But crap console port on rehash engine + terrible performance = big fecking fail for PC.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I will inevitably pick the game up when the price drops next year or I can snag it cheap through rewards points and have no other games to get at the time.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
That earlier love-in post on CoD is laughable. The game is still is using a modified Quake 3 engine.... Game is ancient and looks it. Gameplay>graphics, but CoD doesn't even have that. COD4:MW was great, but it's really stale five years later released continually under a new moniker ad nauseam.

It's a console game. Looks and plays like one and has features of one. No dedicated servers, no mods, game lobbies, crappy graphics, very forgiving gun handling with little to no recoil etc.

Bad game is bad.

Lex Luger

Oct 11, 2011
Engine may be "ancient"(Im not ignorant, graphics havent changed much since CoD 2), but its still far more advanced than the Source engine. Where is all the hate on Valve for being even lazier than activision? Calling it Quake 3 engine just shows what a moron you are. There is probalby not a single line of code left from quake 3 engine they licensed with CoD 1.

New counter strike game looks like crap, so does DOTA 2, and Portal 2, but no one calls them out on using a 2003 engine with horrible multithreading support. There are many game engines superior to CoD engine, but it still has very good multithreading support, unlike Source.

Black Ops 2 is best looking CoD game yet, even if its not a significant difference. The levels are bigger, there are more enemies onscreen. The scene in the nightclub is something you havent seen in any previous CoD game with hundreds of NPC's on screen at once

I personally havent had any framerate or performance issues with game.

If you think graphics are blurry, turn off post -AA. Its looks like crap, just like it looks like crap on any other game that has it. Same with ambient occlusion, adds very little for a huge framerate hit, just like any other game that includes it.Neither are valid reasons for bashing the game. The game RUNS FINE. I didnt dip under 60 frames one time with my gtx 470 at 1080p cause i turned off ambient occlusion like I always do.Still able to run 4x regular AA without problem.

Also all games have issues with multiple GPUs on release cause the drivers dont support it yet. Been that way since SLI and crossfire game out, again, not a valid reason to bash the game.

Game aint perfect, but its a good shooter, and the best CoD game yet, and clearly a step up from the mediocre Modern Warfare 3. The new future weapons are pretty cool ideas and well implemented. The game is mostly bug free and polished. Yes, a new CoD game comes out every year, doesnt mean that a huge amount of work didnt go into making that game.

Unless you actually played it, dont bash it. I played it, I enjoyed it, which I cant say about most PC games I play nowadays. Yeah, its short, yeah campaign is easy on normal, but the game is well made. and its got Batman playing Agent Hudson this time around.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Engine may be "ancient"(Im not ignorant, graphics havent changed much since CoD 2), but its still far more advanced than the Source engine. Where is all the hate on Valve for being even lazier than activision? Calling it Quake 3 engine just shows what a moron you are. There is probalby not a single line of code left from quake 3 engine they licensed with CoD 1.

New counter strike game looks like crap, so does DOTA 2, and Portal 2, but no one calls them out on using a 2003 engine with horrible multithreading support. There are many game engines superior to CoD engine, but it still has very good multithreading support, unlike Source.

Black Ops 2 is best looking CoD game yet, even if its not a significant difference. The levels are bigger, there are more enemies onscreen. The scene in the nightclub is something you havent seen in any previous CoD game with hundreds of NPC's on screen at once

I personally havent had any framerate or performance issues with game.

If you think graphics are blurry, turn off post -AA. Its looks like crap, just like it looks like crap on any other game that has it. Same with ambient occlusion, adds very little for a huge framerate hit, just like any other game that includes it.Neither are valid reasons for bashing the game. The game RUNS FINE. I didnt dip under 60 frames one time with my gtx 470 at 1080p cause i turned off ambient occlusion like I always do.Still able to run 4x regular AA without problem.

Also all games have issues with multiple GPUs on release cause the drivers dont support it yet. Been that way since SLI and crossfire game out, again, not a valid reason to bash the game.

Game aint perfect, but its a good shooter, and the best CoD game yet, and clearly a step up from the mediocre Modern Warfare 3. The new future weapons are pretty cool ideas and well implemented. The game is mostly bug free and polished. Yes, a new CoD game comes out every year, doesnt mean that a huge amount of work didnt go into making that game.

Unless you actually played it, dont bash it. I played it, I enjoyed it, which I cant say about most PC games I play nowadays. Yeah, its short, yeah campaign is easy on normal, but the game is well made. and its got Batman playing Agent Hudson this time around.

I indeed called out CS for looking like piss. No way should a PC FPS look like that in 2012.

I played Blops2 last night on X360 and on PC. Watched the ending (better than BO1 imho), played a few rounds online with the 360.

I don't have any qualms with you liking the game, SP or MP.

Criticisms of the game running relatively poorly on an ancient engine are valid. People with a top of the line single GPU should be able to run it at 120fps steady for their 120hz displays. The fact that it doesn't is atrocious, considering it is still basically a 2007-era COD4 engine.

Criticisms of the ancient Source engine are also entirely valid. They really should have something better by now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That earlier love-in post on CoD is laughable. The game is still is using a modified Quake 3 engine.... Game is ancient and looks it. Gameplay>graphics, but CoD doesn't even have that. COD4:MW was great, but it's really stale five years later released continually under a new moniker ad nauseam.

It's a console game. Looks and plays like one and has features of one. No dedicated servers, no mods, game lobbies, crappy graphics, very forgiving gun handling with little to no recoil etc.

Bad game is bad.

There are dedicated servers but not in the traditional sense. Matchmaking still is how you get games I guess.

Something like that.

Calling out the source engine? They don't release a game every year and they don't try to play it off as if it's some new fantastic engine that will wow you. Valve knows the limitations of the engine, but I'll be honest. The source engine looks multiple times better than CoD.

As for having issues on SLI etc. Nvidia even released a beta driver that specifically stated an increase in performance for the game. Still runs like crap.

Last edited: