Info G.O.P now wants to prevent non-citizens from voting in local elections.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now we know how greenman pays his guys.
I’m pretty sure he’s claimed that he abides by labor law and since his competitors do not any effort to make labor law better for workers will drive him out of business.

I think most people are of the opinion that the remedy to people not following the law is to make the law better and more enforceable, mot to make other laws worse though.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
People who pay taxes voting in local elections is not the problem.

Right wing assholes trying to overthrow elections is the problem. You want to pretend like you believe in the sanctity of voting? Take your insurrection and treason and pound it up your ignorant racist asses, then we can talk about 'respecting the vote.'

GQP is hellbent on removing the ability for non-republican citizens to have their votes counted, have actively engaged in and supported violent insurrection. The opinion of treasonous hypocrites can be discarded like the trash it is.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Flying back to Texas yesterday and the people behind me were talking about how "nobody wants to work" and how bad illegal immigration is.

Hard to get through to people who don't actually want to solve any problems.

People haven't figured out that people don't want to work for shit wages in jobs they aren't respected in and possible die from a virus spread by self entitled shit heads.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Greenman again showing everyone how ignorant and short sighted he is. It's honestly hilarious, albeit sad.
What business do you run?
I deal with this every time I'm hiring. Fully half the applicants I get want to be paid in cash, when I tell them it's straight payroll they say "I can't do that". Not because they want the extra money, but because they don't have an SSN. I had one hire that was flagged by the SSA nearly a year after being hired. He was using a fake SSN. I had to release him or face a huge fine.

In construction paying in cash is common, and very profitable. The employee gets more money, the employer doesn't have to pay payroll taxes, doesn't have to pay overtime, doesn't have to pay workmens comp, and saves on general lability through reduced payroll. If you hire illegal's, you don't even have to worry about them getting hurt on the job. They won't report an injury for fear of being deported. I know of people that lost fingers and had broken bones that quit for fear of deportation.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
And we should make it much, much easier to enter the country legally. We should radically increase immigration - there are tons of people who want to come here and bust their ass. I say we let them?

Im all for legal immigration. The illegal variety? Not so much. Biden seems to think open borders are the best policy and has let everyone with a pulse in with a date to appear several years from now.

I wonder if they will show up for their deportation hearing or stick around and try to get naturalized?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
What business do you run?
I deal with this every time I'm hiring. Fully half the applicants I get want to be paid in cash, when I tell them it's straight payroll they say "I can't do that". Not because they want the extra money, but because they don't have an SSN. I had one hire that was flagged by the SSA nearly a year after being hired. He was using a fake SSN. I had to release him or face a huge fine.

In construction paying in cash is common, and very profitable. The employee gets more money, the employer doesn't have to pay payroll taxes, doesn't have to pay overtime, doesn't have to pay workmens comp, and saves on general lability through reduced payroll. If you hire illegal's, you don't even have to worry about them getting hurt on the job. They won't report an injury for fear of being deported. I know of people that lost fingers and had broken bones that quit for fear of deportation.

I'm not a business owner, but I hire plenty of non-citizens for my company- several per year, on average actually. And these folks pay quite a bit of taxes, more so than the average citizen. The fact that you think you are the only industry that is hiring non-citizens is demonstrative of your continued ignorance. Others have already pointed this out.

You honestly thought non-citizens was synonymous with undocumented, didn't you?

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yeah.
Facts

Like all the PhDs, MBA's and other savage college educated folks in education, finance tech and law that you find everywhere in nyc.
Cash filled envelopes.
That's how they roll

Don't forget MDs. There is a LARGE non-citizen MD work force who are paying tons in taxes. Greenman just continues to demonstrate he doesn't understand reality outside of his individual life experience.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Don't forget MDs. There is a LARGE non-citizen MD work force who are paying tons in taxes. Greenman just continues to demonstrate he doesn't understand reality outside of his individual life experience.
He is a simple man with a simple view of the world based on his limited view of the world around him and he has embraced his simplicity judging by his posts.

At least he's not a dick about it and comes across as genuine.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
He is a simple man with a simple view of the world based on his limited view of the world around him and he has embraced his simplicity judging by his posts.

At least he's not a dick about it and comes across as genuine.

Meh, he revels in his ignorance, hard for me to have any respect or patience for that. Far too many posts where he literally says "This is how it is, but I'm not willing to put any effort into finding out if it's true or not."

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'm not a business owner, but I hire plenty of non-citizens for my company- several per year, on average actually. And these folks pay quite a bit of taxes, more so than the average citizen. The fact that you think you are the only industry that is hiring non-citizens is demonstrative of your continued ignorance. Others have already pointed this out.

Greenman apparently breaks laws and commits tax evasion.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
In his industry its probably all under the table but generalizing that to the millions of people who get work visas every year and take legit paychecks is a pretty small minded thing to do of course.
Conservative consistently exhibits small minded traits? A rarity indeed!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Im all for legal immigration. The illegal variety? Not so much. Biden seems to think open borders are the best policy and has let everyone with a pulse in with a date to appear several years from now.

I wonder if they will show up for their deportation hearing or stick around and try to get naturalized?
So you agree legal immigration should be much easier?

• Haha

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Please provide a single example of Biden calling for open borders.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Yes, they do think that non-citizens are synonymous with undocumented. Isn't it odd how they will go on and on about how much they support legal immigration, but then reflexively accuse people who are here legally of being illegals?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The people who support legal immigration but don't seem to have a problem when a right wing admin shuts down pretty much all immigration (from 'shithole' countries anyway, Norway is fine remember?) are hard to take seriously. The GQP was stopping allies that fought for us from getting to the safety of the States. Probably way past time for some people to start being honest with themselves over what immigration really is to the American right wing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The people who support legal immigration but don't seem to have a problem when a right wing admin shuts down pretty much all immigration (from 'shithole' countries anyway, Norway is fine remember?) are hard to take seriously. The GQP was stopping allies that fought for us from getting to the safety of the States - probably way past time for some people to start being honest with themselves.
Of course, it’s transparent dishonesty. They say they support legal immigration and their only problem is with illegal immigration but then when you try to make more paths for legal immigration they adamantly oppose them.

It would be nice if they could just own their position, that they don’t like immigrants. They won’t though because they know it makes them look bad.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

You should try living in reality.

Oct 20 (Reuters) - U.S. authorities arrested 1.7 million migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border this fiscal year, the most ever recorded, according to a U.S. government source familiar with the numbers, underscoring the stark political and humanitarian challenges the Biden administration faces on immigration.

The current numbers for the 2021 fiscal year, which began last October, topped a previous high in 2000. The numbers were first reported by the Washington Post.

When can we expect a correction of your post and an acknowledgement of you being wrong?

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Why shouldn't green card holders be able to vote in local elections? They are allowed to buy property, send their kids to school, and be taxed, why shouldn't they have some say in how any of that work.

Federal or state level I get, but I don't see an issue with them voting for the local school board.
A fair argument. Mine is it is a gateway. Once on voting rolls, and knowing our existing system for validating eligible voters in state or federal elections is less than reliable, I don't want additional opportunities for potential voting irregularities.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A fair argument. Mine is it is a gateway. Once on voting rolls, and knowing our existing system for validating eligible voters in state or federal elections is less than reliable, I don't want additional opportunities for potential voting irregularities.
Could you provide evidence that "our existing system for validating eligible voters in state or federal elections is less than reliable". Thanks.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
What’s more is that I think they see no disconnect between holding those two positions simultaneously. They want more workers but also don’t want to increase the supply of workers.
Correct. Some sort of magic is supposed to happen to provide plentiful labor but not from immigration to grow the pool in a country with births well below replacement and a big chunk of population aging out of the workforce.

I'd like a unicorn to deliver me gold bars but that's probably not going to happen either.
What about the homeless? We could use the homeless crisis at home as an advantage.