Fury XT and Pro prices

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks, I had forgotten that property of GDDR memory.

The reason I mentioned Dual CMD interface was a paper by Hynix at Hot Chips 2014 where they had a slide saying for CMD input [Single CMD for GDDR5 and DDR3] but [Dual CMD for HBM].

Yeah I see that now, I can't really find much info about that other than that slide.

Ironically, searching "HBM dual command" yields me plenty of results about Fiji XT having 8GB HBM using the infamous "dual link interposer"...

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Can we get the thread title changed to "Random stuff lulz come in"? Thanks.

In all fairness, how long can you talk about a price?:p
Cant say its too much or to little without reviews.

650$ fury X on the 24th of June
550$ fury pro on July 14th

Last edited:

Mako88

Jan 4, 2009
In all fairness, how long can you talk about a price?:p
Cant say its too much or to little without reviews.

650$ fury X on the 24th of June
550$ fury pro on July 14th

It may all be for nothing anyway, if the HDMI port on the Fury X is 1.4 instead of the 2.0 that is on the Nvidia cards, I won't be able to use it.

No DP ports on my 4:4:4 @ 60Hz Samsung 48JU7500. So that would be a bummer, but it's not like the 980 Ti is garbage, just a bit more expensive and possibly a bit slower.

Still hoping the Fury X is the pick though, would be fun to go team Red this round just for variety's sake.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
It may all be for nothing anyway, if the HDMI port on the Fury X is 1.4 instead of the 2.0 that is on the Nvidia cards, I won't be able to use it.

No DP ports on my 4:4:4 @ 60Hz Samsung 48JU7500. So that would be a bummer, but it's not like the 980 Ti is garbage, just a bit more expensive and possibly a bit slower.

Still hoping the Fury X is the pick though, would be fun to go team Red this round just for variety's sake.

No HDMI 2.0 according to an AMD rep.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28185835&postcount=249

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
A card being marketed for 4K that lacks the most widely used connector on 4K TV's... Dumb

Mako88

Jan 4, 2009
A card being marketed for 4K that lacks the most widely used connector on 4K TV's... Dumb

4GB + HDMI 1.4 = Not for me.

I don't know who runs the show in their video department, but man that is a bad omission when currently 85% of all users running 4k currently are doing it through their televisions according to NPD.

For everyone else it's great, really seems like a good value, but unfortunately a lot of us are now forced to cross the Fury X permanently off our list. :(

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
The question would be are 4K TVs superior for gaming than 4K monitors?

That may be your question, it's certainly not "the" question. Some people are going to want game on their 4K TV's. I know a lot more people with 4K TV's than I do people with 4K monitors. I actually don't personally know anyone with a 4K monitor. Makes ZERO sense why it doesn't have HDMI 2.0, it's been around long enough. If it is a cost issue, that's even worse. To make such a compromise in the name of cost does not inspire confidence at all.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Also makes you wonder if the Nano will have HDMI 2.0... That could be a great HTPC card, but without HDMI 2.0 it will be a hard sell for those who have a nice HT setup. I'm not sure of any A/V receivers that have a DP port, but I haven't been keeping up-to-date with them either...

Mako88

Jan 4, 2009
The question would be are 4K TVs superior for gaming than 4K monitors?

Having owned both, the Philips 4k monitor and the new Samsung 48 that came out two months ago, I can say that each is awesome, no negatives to either.

Pixel perfect 4k via 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.

The Philips got sold to a relative as I wanted to go larger (40" versus 48"), but both were/are excellent.

But frankly with 85% of your 4k market doing it via televisions, it doesn't make much sense not to support it. Fury X is DOA now for that market. Hopefully they add 4GB and an HDMI 2.0 port down the road. Will revisit it then, but for now I'll have to go 2x 980 Ti cards.

Mako88

Jan 4, 2009
Why this? Don't you think a 50" 4K TV would make a very good gaming screen?

Not intended as snark, but it doesn't matter what he thinks as he has no experience with either.

The best advice is always try everything yourself, as I did, and pick what works for you. Don't listen to message board opinions that are based on "what they've read". Heheh ;)

Feb 19, 2009
Why this? Don't you think a 50" 4K TV would make a very good gaming screen?

Dunno, its a legit question since sites that test monitors really well like tfncentral, don't really focus on tvs.

My plan was to buy a Phillips 40 4K VA monitor (TFN gave it a good review) and a strong GPU to play 4K on High settings, no multi-GPU hassles.

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
Isn't it possible to use a DP1.2 to HDMI adapter to output 4k@60Hz? I'm no expert on displays and standards, but AMD would be missing a potential market by not offering some sort of solution.

Mako88

Jan 4, 2009
Dunno, its a legit question since sites that test monitors really well like tfncentral, don't really focus on tvs.

My plan was to buy a Phillips 40 4K VA monitor (TFN gave it a good review) and a strong GPU to play 4K on High settings, no multi-GPU hassles.

Do it, you'll be really happy. The Philips was great, so great it made me want a larger size, which led to the Samsung 48. But if I had to stay with the Philips I'd have been more than pleased.

Isn't it possible to use a DP1.2 to HDMI adapter to output 4k@60Hz? I'm no expert on displays and standards, but AMD would be missing a potential market by not offering some sort of solution.

Unfortunately no. It's a bit of a mess, and it won't be worth it to chase when there are competitor products that perfectly serve the need out of the box.

But who knows, maybe that dipshit Dan is talking out of his ass and we'll find out the Fury X does have HDMI 2.0 later this week.

Last edited:

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008

I have the AMH 399U. It's basically the same MVA panel. It's great. BUT, 40 inches is really pushing it. Wait, come to think of it... looking at the screen right now as I type this, the screen looks just right. Strange how you can get used to things. lol

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Said adapters are still in the development process. Some that are capable of doing 4k@60hz may be available by the end of the year.

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
Ah thanks for the clarification everyone. Hopefully those cables work out, or Dan doesn't know what he's talking about. I won't be buying a 4k tv for a long time, but I'm open to 4k monitors and am thinking that the Fury or nano will work great in that respect.

Mako88

Jan 4, 2009
Oh I see , the Philips had a DP? The Samsung don't. bummer.

I wouldn't go back, the 48" curved at a view distance of three feet is just epic at 4k.

The 980 Ti is good enough, will work just fine. But too bad it's a premium in terms of price for then AIO version versus the value the Fury X provides. Oh well.