Fundamentalist Christianity - A Personal Anecdote

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2006
If "getting right with the lord" allows pedophilia then i want no part of being right with that lord. In fact that lord can DIAF.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I once encountered a prisoner who was in jail for having sex with a 12 year old girl. While interacting with him he was convinced that he'd done nothing wrong and that the girl wanted it as much as he did. When the conversation was over the only thing that I could do is shake my head and go on. Is this any different than the UN peacekeepers in Darfur who forced the women they were supposed to be helping to have sex with them in exchange for the food they were there to supply in the first place?

Unless he forcefully Raped her, it is not inconcievable that she may have wanted it. At 12 Males and Females are already sexually aware and fantasizing about it. That doesn't excuse his actions, but what he is saying is not necessarily false. He just fails to see why his actions were made Illegal.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Let us not think of Christianity as it is now but how it was through most of human history. From the earliest beginnings of the Church all the way to the 19th century, we have writing after writing that revels in the barbarity of Hell. It is only in the last hundred years or that this practice has petered out. Be cognizant that the Christianity practiced today is of the neutered kind. Rationalism has largely defanged it. When it had real power, this is how it acted and spoke.

Peter Lombard from the 11th century had this to say:
Therefore the elect shall go forth…to see the torments of the impious, seeing which they will not be grieved, but will be satiated with joy at the sight of the unutterable calamity of the impious

Samuel Hopkins from the 18th century:
This display of the divine character will be most entertaining to all who love God, will give them the highest and most ineffable pleasure. Should the fire of this eternal punishment cease, it would in a great measure obscure the light of heaven, and put an end to a great part of the happiness and glory of the blessed

Tertullian from the 2nd century:
At that greatest of all spectacles, that last and eternal judgment how shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness; so many magistrates liquefying in fiercer flames than they ever kindled against the Christians; so many sages philosophers blushing in red-hot fires with their deluded pupils; so many tragedians more tuneful in the expression of their sufferings; so many dancers tripping more nimbly from anguish then ever before from applause.

Aquinas from the 13th century:
In order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned. . .So that they may be urged the more to praise God. . .The saints in heaven know distinctly all that happens. . .to the damned.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Bshole, how many threads do you need to start bashing christianity that you actually feel would be enough.

For someone who was the son of missionarys you should have also seen how much support and aid that was given to people less fortunate. The doctrines of the Bible are all clearly written yet you quote people who didnt ink a single word in the Book. Why dont you read what Jesus has to say? I never understand why people get so angry at christianity when its whole teaching is to be kind to one another. That would certainly solve americas racial problem wouldnt it. It would stop govt corruption too. Yet all you do Bshole is just bash this doctrine. You may have been a missionary's kid but you certainly dont have a clue about christianity.

Reactions: lykaon78

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Bshole, how many threads do you need to start bashing christianity that you actually feel would be enough.

For someone who was the son of missionarys you should have also seen how much support and aid that was given to people less fortunate. The doctrines of the Bible are all clearly written yet you quote people who didnt ink a single word in the Book. Why dont you read what Jesus has to say? I never understand why people get so angry at christianity when its whole teaching is to be kind to one another. That would certainly solve americas racial problem wouldnt it. It would stop govt corruption too. Yet all you do Bshole is just bash this doctrine. You may have been a missionary's kid but you certainly dont have a clue about christianity.

My experience of Christian missionaries is RAMPANT sexual molestation of children. If you made it back from the field without being molested, you were the EXCEPTION. This cut across all missions.

As a Christian you are taught to hate and distrust the out-groups. Christians not part of your sect are the bride of Satan. I was SHOCKED when I met people outside of my religion and found that they were normal just like me.

The amount of mental anguish that children go through when their preachers go on and on about the horrors of hell with a sort of sick satisfaction is not to underestimated. It completely fucked with my head. I spent a great deal of my childhood trying to cut deals with God so that he wouldn't burn me in hell forever.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
And yes I believe the original church fathers were evil deluded assholes who foisted a lie on humanity and painted it as truth.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I wonder the psychologic traits or life experiences someone must possess to seek the shield of fundamentalist religion and to expand it by revictimizing innocents to require an equally large shield. There are not so many shields around, and how do you resist the one that has been conveniently placed in your hands?