Full size trucks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
FWIW I have a 95' Ford Bronco (an SUV build off the frame of a short bed F-150) The 5.8L V8 is one tough dude. I've seen the trucks pulling peanut wagons out in the field. The 3.55 gear ratio works great and the the 4x4 (mandatory on Broncos) really gets the vehicle anywhere (works really good on the muddy dirt roads after rain... anyone who knows Georgia clay knowns what i mean).

Personally the only Tundra I've driven is a 2005 and I found it too soft.. Felt like it couldn't do anything. It may be stupid but if I get a truck.. I want it to feel like a truck.. :confused:

You say that, and yet all full size 1/2 ton pickups have IFS now, to the detriment of durability and off road performance.

who said anything about me liking new trucks? ;) 96 and under Fords FTW!

EDIT: Though let me say when it *comes* to Diesels, Dodges are pretty darn good as are the Chevy's / GMC's. In fact, when it comes to diesels, i wouldn't even consider Ford :laugh:

EDIT 2: Sorry, I was thinking about the Cummins engine i swear it! :eek:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Spamela
if your children aren't close to teenage years, then an extended
cab is fine & you'll have more bed room. the late model
F150 extended cabs have enough leg room for an adult
male in the back.

IMHO, a 4x4 is a waste of money unless you use it a lot,
but it might make the truck easier to re-sell.

i've owned several F250's & an F150
(2WD & 4WD) & wouldn't get anything else,
although i'd consider a Toyota heavy duty diesel
crew cab if one were available.

Reading through this whole thread, I think I'm leaning toward the F150 extended cab. I'll probably get 4x4 also (better to get it and not need it than vice versa). I also want something with a little more room and will probably last a little longer. Seems like the extended cab will give me all the interior room I'll need and still have plenty of space in the bed.

I appreciate all the great responses and discussion!

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: funboy42
I like the Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Diesel myself. It is just one mother of a engine, and 300K+ Miles without breaking a sweat, not to mention all the hop ups for it to make it go almost as fast as a Lamborghini, ok, maybe not that fast, but damnit it if wont make all 4 tires leave rubber and smoke, and give a corvette a run for its money if you mod the turbo and chip it.

4 door, 4x4, chipped, lifted, tinted windows, oooh soooo SWEET

teh diesel is the only Dodge truck i would buy.

BUT teh ford diesel is damn good also. my FIL has a F250 duelie diesal and i love it.

It is the only Dodge product, aside of a Jeep with the 4.0 inline 6, I will ever touch. I will not touch another makers Diesel sorry to say. If it was Ford or Chevy truck it would have to be petrol powered. And if it had to be a Ford it would have to be a older one with a 460 big block like my old 1987 Ford F250 had. That truck was a freakin beast and had more pulling power then my bosses Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins engine. I used to leave him in the dust when we were pulling our trailers to other camp grounds, and sad part was I paid $2k for that truck he paid $35K+ for his :eek:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Never driven a Tundra, so I know nothing about them. What I do know is that my last four fords have all gone over 250,000 miles without a major repair. Thats not bad at all for a work truck that often gets overloaded.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: Spamela
if your children aren't close to teenage years, then an extended
cab is fine & you'll have more bed room. the late model
F150 extended cabs have enough leg room for an adult
male in the back.

IMHO, a 4x4 is a waste of money unless you use it a lot,
but it might make the truck easier to re-sell.

i've owned several F250's & an F150
(2WD & 4WD) & wouldn't get anything else,
although i'd consider a Toyota heavy duty diesel
crew cab if one were available.

Reading through this whole thread, I think I'm leaning toward the F150 extended cab. I'll probably get 4x4 also (better to get it and not need it than vice versa). I also want something with a little more room and will probably last a little longer. Seems like the extended cab will give me all the interior room I'll need and still have plenty of space in the bed.

I appreciate all the great responses and discussion!

If you want an extended cab then i would recommend the F-150. But if you would like a crew cab and a long bed, have you ever thought of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD? 6L V8 and crew cab while still maintaining bed space instead of the tiny little things put on Supercrews and 1500s.

That was just a thought if you wanted 4 doors. Otherwise F-150 FTW! :p

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Is the OP only using this for a daily driver and skiing with the kids? If adamant on a truck, why not consider something like a Tacoma w/ crew cab?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Is the OP only using this for a daily driver and skiing with the kids? If adamant on a truck, why not consider something like a Tacoma w/ crew cab?

Cause he said he wanted a full size truck :p The Tacoma is Ranger / Colorado class.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

I considered it, but the way Toyotas are priced I can get the F150 for the same or only a little more than a Tacoma.

If you want an extended cab then i would recommend the F-150. But if you would like a crew cab and a long bed, have you ever thought of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD? 6L V8 and crew cab while still maintaining bed space instead of the tiny little things put on Supercrews and 1500s.

That was just a thought if you wanted 4 doors. Otherwise F-150 FTW!

That's a great looking truck, but definitely too big for going to work every day!

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Cause he said he wanted a full size truck :p The Tacoma is Ranger / Colorado class.

Oh yeah, duh. :eek: Well...just throwing out that consideration then. IMO, if that's his intended usage, he's better served in the mid-sized class as I think it would reign supreme in terms of long-term reliability, overall cost of ownership and balanced size/utility as a daily driver.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

Oh yeah, duh. :eek: Well...just throwing out that consideration then. IMO, if that's his intended usage, he's better served in the mid-sized class as I think it would reign supreme in terms of long-term reliability, overall cost of ownership and balanced size/utility as a daily driver.

wrong. Stop the techno babble. Mid size trucks can just as thirsty in the real world as their full sized counterparts.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: foghorn67

wrong. Stop the techno babble. Mid size trucks can just as thirsty in the real world as their full sized counterparts.

Okay, whatever. :roll: Just throwing out an opinion, but apparently it aggravated that sand in your vagina.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
F150, I've driven both and the F150 seems more solid.
Also getting a truck with out 4 wheel drive to me is just weird...that's what trucks are for sometimes.

Yup, I've got 4WD on my Dodge Ram. I stick to paved roads and just use the truck to get to work and back, but it's nice to know it's there.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

Okay, whatever. :roll: Just throwing out an opinion, but apparently it aggravated that sand in your vagina.

Whatever makes you feel better about being wrong.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Yikes on the attitude.

Compact trucks aren't so hot when it comes to back seat use...

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I know the Bronco is a pain with only 2 doors and the back legroom is about like sitting in a Taurus for me.... which means its very uncomfortable :p

And OP, I didn't know if you actually wanted a Long Bed or not. Obviously if thats too big then thats not what you wanted. My apologies. A Supercrew would work well for you then. Though the bed is shorter than a short bed. Or you can get an extended cab and have both long and short bed options.

As to you argueing three, while yes Goober was wrong, both b0mbrman and Foghorn67 answered it fairly chafing ways. Just calm down guys o_O

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
F150, I've driven both and the F150 seems more solid.
Also getting a truck with out 4 wheel drive to me is just weird...that's what trucks are for sometimes.

Yup, I've got 4WD on my Dodge Ram. I stick to paved roads and just use the truck to get to work and back, but it's nice to know it's there.

..really doesn't impact gas mileage much. Improves the resale value and makes for a sturdier truck with the improved suspension.