Full size trucks

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I'm looking to get a couple year old model of one of these trucks. Anyone have experience with both who knows which one's better? I've read online reviews of both, and they seem fairly even.

I also have a question on style. I'll be hauling our kid around at least some of the time, so will an extended cab be sufficient for a car seat or should I get a crew cab?

Lastly, does four wheel drive make that big of a difference? I live in Portland and it snows here once or twice a year, but I'll also go up to the mountains a couple times a year.

Thanks!

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
What do you mean by going up to the mountains? Off roading? Most likely you don't need 4x4 and you would just be wasting gas as 4x4's get worse mileage.

Are you pulling anything with the truck?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well i have owned a few F150's and 250's on my farm. they have taken a beating and still ran great.

Also have seen a LOT Of Tundra's around on other farms working great. if you get a decent one i dont think it really matters. But personally i would get a F150 (thinking of getting one this summer)

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
F150, I've driven both and the F150 seems more solid.
Also getting a truck with out 4 wheel drive to me is just weird...that's what trucks are for sometimes.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the prior tundras have a weaker motor and smaller backseat in extended cab than the current style F150s. it was also less comfortable.

i think the F150 extended cab has more room in the backseat than my car

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: amdskip
What do you mean by going up to the mountains? Off roading?

I go skiing a couple times a year, so it would need to do OK if caught in a snowstorm.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
I've owned a tundra and i have friends with either... I prefer the Tundra, it is a more refined(though slightly smaller if <'07)truck.

Here's my old baby http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/jdoggg1/truck3.jpg

That's a nice rig! So do you think there's enough room for a kid in the back?

How old? What're you planning on doing with the truck?

If you want to tow a large item (big boat/large toy hauler etc) i'd go with the Ford.

If you want a nimble, quick, smoooooooth riding truck, i'l go with the Tundra - it drives like (large) car. The F150 for this year drives just as nice though.

The truck was my dads, he gave it to me on the cheap - he bought an 06 E55 AMG to replace it

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I've been in both 2005 tundra and 2004 and 2006 F150 hauling stuff. All had v8's and the tundra was struggling to make it up a hills with a small travel trailer while the F150s put hills to short work with a lower RPMs pulling 2 horses in a heavy trailer. The tundra was more comfortable, and i could see myself taking longer rides in it, but when it comes to actually performing like a truck I'd take the F150 over it any day.
I'm looking forward to this summer and seeing some of the new model tundras in action - they look like a dodge so it will be interesting to see if they can utperform one :D

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
be a real man and get an f250 turbo diesel :)
anywho...ford makes the best trucks, hands down. If you can spend the money definitly get an 05+ F150, as they are 10x better.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
If i could do it again, i would have gone crew cab, but i could easily fit 5 adults in my ext cab. Having 4 full size doors is just a lot easier, but wasn't avail on the 03's

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: 50cent1228
tundras are better

How so? The years that the OP is talking about all have reported reviews of struggling under heave loads. Sorry that's not a truck, move along nothing to see here....F150 or Silverado time...

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005

btw.... i think you should only post responses if you have a decent amount of experience (i.e. have driven both for comparable years) else state where you're getting your opinion source. Anyone can regurgitate numbers, but have experience with both is what the op is looking for.

I would have been pro American only, untill i drove/owned the tundra.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
if your children aren't close to teenage years, then an extended
cab is fine & you'll have more bed room. the late model
F150 extended cabs have enough leg room for an adult
male in the back.

IMHO, a 4x4 is a waste of money unless you use it a lot,
but it might make the truck easier to re-sell.

i've owned several F250's & an F150
(2WD & 4WD) & wouldn't get anything else,
although i'd consider a Toyota heavy duty diesel
crew cab if one were available.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
The refinement i speak of is just IMHO. It just feels cleaner. Seams are tighter, it creaks less, the instruments don't feel cheap. I get a sense of quality (though possibly only perceptual) in the Toyota that i just don't feel in the ford.

It kinda feels like this - if you were to tool around in the cabins and take all the interior panels off, you'd have a harder time putting the ford back together b/c of lower quality parts/craftsmanship and/or it wouldn't look right. [THIS IS JUST WHAT I PERCEIVE] I never took either apart, but having had a lot of experince ripping cars apart to install custom stereos, thast what i gathered

Its hard to explain... i guess its just a sense of higher quality in the tundra... i had a Limited Tundra though, so that might bias me a tad since i never drove (only rode in) lariat fords

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I've been in both 2005 tundra and 2004 and 2006 F150 hauling stuff. All had v8's and the tundra was struggling to make it up a hills with a small travel trailer while the F150s put hills to short work with a lower RPMs pulling 2 horses in a heavy trailer. The tundra was more comfortable, and i could see myself taking longer rides in it, but when it comes to actually performing like a truck I'd take the F150 over it any day.
I'm looking forward to this summer and seeing some of the new model tundras in action - they look like a dodge so it will be interesting to see if they can utperform one :D

Of course this argument goes right out the window once you bring the 2007 Tundra into the equation.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
If you're buying a truck that is a couple of years old...for the same price you could:

A) Buy a Tundra
B) Buy 2 Ford F-150s

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Drakkon

Of course this argument goes right out the window once you bring the 2007 Tundra into the equation.

..I've looked at that thing and it's a caricature of it's former self. But no doubt it will sell.