Friend of mine called Sprint PCS to get a better plan....

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I told him to dial *2 and get the retention center to hook him up. He didn't listen. He called the reps to change his plan and argued for 15 minutes about how he deserves a better plan than what he has...yada yada yada... The girl on the other end, after 15 minutes, finally says, "Please threaten to cancel your account." He does and they send him on to the retention center. I find this amusing since they're trying not to hook people up with better deals as often... I think word got out about their retention process...

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I called to cancel my acocunt a few months ago for legitimate reasons, and they forwarded me to what I guess is this "retention center." My monthly rate was cut by $25, my night/weekend minutes were started at 8PM instead of 9PM, and I received 500 more anytime minutes.

[edit]I should add that I have been with them for five years, and I called to cancel primarily because they still can't get my billing right.[/edit]

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
LOL, I have a Sprint story also.

- First call... (Last Monday) I called Sprint to order a new phone. The rep said my credit card didn't match my ship-to address. (I called my bank)

- Second call... (Last Monday also) Sprint rep says that the computers are down but she'll take my order manually. No problem.

- Third call... (Friday) I call Sprint to make sure the phone shipped. It didn't, credit card was rejected. I made a new order, card rejected Sprint rep. says.

I get off the last phone call and decide to test my credit card. I call AT&T wireless and the card works fine. ;)

DorkBoy

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
I called and tried to cancel last year.
They doubled everything and lowered my monthly bill, my anytime starts at 7PM but I have been with them since 2000 when it was 7PM.
I get 750 anytime, unlimited nights/weekends at 7PM, for $35 then I get 12% off for company discount.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DorkBoy
They doubled everything and lowered my monthly bill, my anytime starts at 7PM but I have been with them since 2000 when it was 7PM.
I get 750 anytime, unlimited nights/weekends at 7PM, for $35 then I get 12% off for company discount.

Whats the 12% off for?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Shockwave

Whats the 12% off for?

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NutBucket

Whats the 12% off for?

Muhahaha.... thats some ownage....

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003

Whats the 12% off for?

you get it if you work at certain companies (not sure which ones they are).

i got it for working at jc penney.. hopefully they wont realize that i quit :X

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000

I have the same thing now ...

I had 750 anytime + 2000 night and weekend (8pm) for $39 ... retention plan from about a year ago ...

I went for a new phone this weekend ... called customer service from outside the sprint store (it was too busy) and got:

750 anytime + unlimited night and weekend starting at 7pm for an extra $5 ... so it's $44/mo now ... the lady was real nice ... she said they're not supposed to do what she did, but ... she did anyways :)

I also got a vision phone, so I suppose I might pony up the $15/mo for that ... I'm not sure yet, have it 2 months free to decide ...

w00t!

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
I got a phone call from a bill collector last week saying I was delinquent on my PCS bill to the tune of $900.00. Turns out, someone at Sprint tied my name to our corporate account. Boy was I pissed! I swear that if my credit is ruined by SprintPCS and/or my employer, there's gonna be hell to pay! :|

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
Originally posted by: BDawg
Is there a retention center for Verizon? :D

Maybe if there was one I might still be one of their customers. I was with them for 4 years, and when my contract expired in November all they offered me was 2 camera phones for a reduced price of $250. Thanks.

Went over to cartoys and signed up with t-mobile. 2 free v300's and $150 cash back.

Bite me verizon.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: caitlion

Whats the 12% off for?

you get it if you work at certain companies (not sure which ones they are).

i got it for working at jc penney.. hopefully they wont realize that i quit :X

My friend had some sort of company deal as well. I believe he only paid $10/month but he had the bare minumum which is all he needed (I believe it was just a few hundred local anytime minutes with no other perks). If memory serves he was able to keep his plan for about 2 years after quitting the company that entitled him to that plan.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Sprint sucked so bad for me, I didn't want to be retained! They couldn't have paid me to continue service with them.

T-Mobile has been a complete dream by comparison. Talk about one of the better decisions I've made lately.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
So, is it really as easy as calling the retention center and saying "You suck!" ?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Fausto
So, is it really as easy as calling the retention center and saying "You suck!" ?
Not always.
So...I have to say "You suck!" and then tell the (hopefully female) operator that she has a sexy voice? :p

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Not always.
So...I have to say "You suck!" and then tell the (hopefully female) operator that she has a sexy voice? :p
Nope. If the retention rep you get does not help out, hang up and call again.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: SpazzyChicken
Originally posted by: BDawg
Is there a retention center for Verizon? :D

Maybe if there was one I might still be one of their customers. I was with them for 4 years, and when my contract expired in November all they offered me was a camera phone for a reduced price of $250. Thanks.

Went over to cartoys and signed up with t-mobile. 2 free v300's and $150 cash back.

Bite me verizon.

That is a shame. Verizon does have a retention program and I am surprised all the offered you was a camera phone. I think I'll call BS on this one. You can walk into a store and get the camera phone for $150 before the $70 rebate and thats been going on for awhile. You probably had a poor payment history or maybe you got a rep who just didn't give a flying f@ck if you cancelled or not.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
My contract was up back in september. I was waiting until the number portability kicked in and a good deal on a phone came along before switching from sprint. They called me a few weeks ago and offered me a reduced plan over my already good deal... the catch, they wanted me to sign a 3yr contract. Dream on.

"But sir, any company you go to will have you sign a 3yr deal"

We'll see. I'm fairly confident I can get a similar deal w/ a new phone and a 1yr agreement somewhere else... I'm just waiting on my current phone to die. So I'm month to month on sprint and I guess that concerns them.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: dman
My contract was up back in september. I was waiting until the number portability kicked in and a good deal on a phone came along before switching from sprint. They called me a few weeks ago and offered me a reduced plan over my already good deal... the catch, they wanted me to sign a 3yr contract. Dream on.

We'll see. I'm fairly confident I can get a similar deal w/ a new phone and a 1yr agreement somewhere else... I'm just waiting on my current phone to die. So I'm month to month on sprint and I guess that concerns them.

Wow, a 3 yr contract. They are truely nuts. Take your number and go to a different company, there are tons of better deals out there right now.

On a side note, anyone hear of ATT Wireless and I think its Cingular merging, or maybe it was Sprint? It would make them the largest cell provider in the US.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: optoman

Wow, a 3 yr contract. They are truely nuts. Take your number and go to a different company, there are tons of better deals out there right now.

On a side note, anyone hear of ATT Wireless and I think its Cingular merging, or maybe it was Sprint? It would make them the largest cell provider in the US.

Cingular has officially announced an offer to aquire ATT, that is all.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: codeyf
Originally posted by: optoman

Cingular has officially announced an offer to aquire ATT, that is all.

Yeah, they are nuts on the 3yr contract. Simply insane.

Is Cingluar GSM or PCS? I know AT&T is GSM; too lazy to search.