fresh home build coming soon

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
yes it gets an as-built, and also locate tape, and a blue stranded copper locate wire that will come up at my end and I will poke up next to the manhole adjacent to the saddle tie in.
This trench will serve double duty for the cable conduit too. You could not have a handier coincidence. This box is the end of a CATV run.
I'll tuck some HDPE right up in that thing.
PXL_20231220_223401707.jpg

More locate tape. LOL.
The development will do a half-width road improvement all the way to our property corner, not the half of the easment that this stuff is on. It will remain undisturbed.

Reactions: herm0016

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Watching someone dowse for water freaks me out!

yea... we knew sorta where that line must be logically, but damn if our flags were not within a couple inches! I'm not usually a believer in that sorta thing either, even when I was a kid. I had those rods in my own hands and was doing it right with him. I was maybe 12 or 14.

Reactions: iRONic

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
After speaking with the developer's representative, there is a possibility of getting a gravity sewer connection.
He'll bring it up at the office and see.
They are bringing in new fiber and I'd see about getting that in the same easement.
They are tearing it up all over, here they are stripping the sod off. My truck is sitting where our house will be. It's nice dirt several feet deep.
PXL_20240319_151815647.jpg

The lower part of the property is old river bottom with not much soil. The daffodills like it OK.
PXL_20240319_140705265.jpg

I had shifted the house 10' farther away from the development. I put a ladder in the truck to see what the views from our bedroom are like. We can't see any nearby homes, we do have a peek at the closest of the Olympic Mts.
PXL_20240319_154136122.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sukhoi and iRONic

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Watching someone dowse for water freaks me out!

I worked for an irrigation district in NorCal for several years. We had a couple of people who were good with dowsing...but the guy who ran the pump department was a fckn wizard with it. He could use tree branches in a pinch...but did his best work with a couple of welding rods. In 7 years, I never saw him miss once. He even found a couple of underground springs that no one even knew existed. Black magic, I tell ya.

• Love

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I went up today and the young fellow tracked over from his stockpile, and touched the blade of the 850 to the lath I put by the silt fence. I marked under the blade and VIOLA! I have a benchmark.
Look what being nice and a couple of dozen donuts will get you :D
PXL_20240402_183046979-1.jpg

I spoke to the developer's rep, and he will get me a price next week for the sewer, and I hit him up for everything. Sewer, water, power, fiber.
Why not? As much as I know how to dig all those awful long trenches and do all that work, I would lay down some coin to minimize that action.
I need to email him a sketch of the proposed work. I'll revise my site plans with the actual elevation rather than my WAG, and shoot him a sketch of the utilities and where they can cross onto our lot.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The civil engineer got a first draft to me of

STORMWATER SITE PLAN
FOR:
Skyking Residence

It is 60 pages of boilerplate and maps and drawings and pictures and descriptions and more boilerplate out of the 1000 page state manual.
I tried to read it through, until my eyes sorta glazed over.
I knew I was looking at a masterpiece. His words , " I papered over nearly all of the stuff, you won't have to infiltrate anything".
It will have a similar intended effect on the city engineers and inspectors. They'll get about 45 pages in and start to lose focus on life in general, nod and stamp it approved.

• Haha

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The latest major design change is solar heating.
Rather than another heat pump for hydronic heat, I will install (4) duda vacuum tube collectors, and pump excess heat into an insulated soil storage mass for seasonal storage and also daily buffering.
I am splitting the mass in two so I can chase the best delta T for the hot summer and shoulder month temperatures.
This will be fun!
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=DS-SC5814-25T

Link to the SRCC certification for that panel.
https://www.dudadiesel.com/files/SRCC-DS5825.pdf

DS-SC5814-25T_2179_S.jpg

I can roll out all the math for you, or you can play with it.
Our average insolation is 4.08 kwh/m squared/day.
That puts it between medium and low insolation values in that certification spec.
The mass will operate between 40C and 65C.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
If my wife saw that I’d have to explain why it wouldn’t work for the AG pool.

I will put a single on my planned metal roof though. 👍

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I have a price for the side sewer of 8500 plus the easement. That is doable! It remains to be seen of the water and power can come that direction. It is all about the timing.