French editor steps down over cartoons

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Martin
Originally posted by: asadasif
A blog and someone elses opinion.....

Figures......

A quote from your own link:

But we readers have the corresponding right to tell newspapers what we think; and newspaper editors have the right to choose not to publish anti-Semitic dribble if they don't want to.

Exactly what the protest over the ccaricatures is all about. We can protest and they can stop publishing them.

Uh huh. And did these people threaten the Independent's editors with death? Did Sharon call Blair and demand an apology? Did Israelis boycott british companies?
no, no and NO.

And that is the difference between how normal people react when offended, and how crazy, hateful, intolerant radicals react. QED.

Oho, and the extremists involved aren't usually violent??? :laugh:

Most Muslims have protested peacefully. Why are you only looking at the one's who were violent? You have a very biased opinion. No point in arguing with you since you are so set in your own idiosyncrasies.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: khansaab

Please invite me to the fantasy world you're living in. I have yet to see an American newpaper jokingly print black men and portray them as slaves and call them nlggers

I'm sure that you can find some white supremecist newspaper in the US that has that sort of material

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: raildogg
Ladies and gentlemen, freedom of speech has now become a "radical" view.

While freedom of speech should be 100% guaranteed, you should also consider what you use it for. As I see it those protesting just use the same freedom of speech and their "power of the purse". Danes did the same during the french a-bomb testings, where there were a don't buy french wine campaign. (Although it was not very effective :p)
I'm pretty sure that only a very small fanatic group of muslims think violence is a good way to act. While the rest choose to do non-violent acts to show their opinions.

The problem is that lots of completely wrong rumors are all over the middle east, which anger the public even more. But hopefully the 25min long interview with the danish prime minister this evening will put something right.

But the most funny is that those criticizing it the most aren't exactly known for their own respect of people and basic human rights.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: rahvin
Originally posted by: sandorski
Perhaps in time Muslims will have a different view of things, but until that time certain things should be respected. Let them Evolve, don't try to force your foreign ideas into their culture, they won't accept it. This is simple Common Sense.

Yes, pacifisim, it will work grandly just like the many millions that were put to the sword for refusing to become muslim.

Pacifism? Inciting anger in a group of people is not a Noble cause. Avoiding that same Anger is not Pacivism, it is showing some Respect and using your head.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Perhaps in time Muslims will have a different view of things, but until that time certain things should be respected. Let them Evolve, don't try to force your foreign ideas into their culture, they won't accept it. This is simple Common Sense.

Yes, pacifisim, it will work grandly just like the many millions that were put to the sword for refusing to become muslim.

Pacifism? Inciting anger in a group of people is not a Noble cause. Avoiding that same Anger is not Pacivism, it is showing some Respect and using your head.

Still, people have a right to insult others.
I see plenty of stuff online that makes me pissed off, but you don't see me threatning to kill anyone.

If I was in Iran, I wouldn't draw caricatures of Mohammed(sp?), after all it's only common courtesy to respect the rules of your host.
When I'm back home though, I'll make caricatures of whoever I wish, if someone else doesn't like what I draw, that's really not my problem, and sure they can boycott me or whatever all they want, that's their right, but don't try to silence me, that's definitely NOT a right of theirs.

Not that I'd draw any caricatures of anyone though, I suck too much at drawing...

Something that I do notice far more with muslims than christians though, is their will to impose their rules onto others, rather than subjecting to the rules of the country they live in.
I live in Sweden, pretty much a non religious country(though I do believe we formally count as a protestant christian country), but I do believe we have more christians than muslims here, yet the muslims seem to have a far harder time adapting themselves, not because they don't understand the language or anything, but simply because many of them refuse to accept the Swedish society and live by it's laws, instead they want special laws for themselves, or just outright don't care.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Sunner

I see plenty of stuff online that makes me pissed off, but you don't see me threatning to kill anyone.

If I was in Iran, I wouldn't draw caricatures of Mohammed(sp?), after all it's only common courtesy to respect the rules of your host.
When I'm back home though, I'll make caricatures of whoever I wish, if someone else doesn't like what I draw, that's really not my problem, and sure they can boycott me or whatever all they want, that's their right, but don't try to silence me, that's definitely NOT a right of theirs.

Not that I'd draw any caricatures of anyone though, I suck too much at drawing...

Something that I do notice far more with muslims than christians though, is their will to impose their rules onto others, rather than subjecting to the rules of the country they live in.
I live in Sweden, pretty much a non religious country(though I do believe we formally count as a protestant christian country), but I do believe we have more christians than muslims here, yet the muslims seem to have a far harder time adapting themselves, not because they don't understand the language or anything, but simply because many of them refuse to accept the Swedish society and live by it's laws, instead they want special laws for themselves, or just outright don't care.

Reluctance to adopt a new homeland is pretty much true of any Ethnic population in a foreign land. It takes 2-3 generations before Ethnic groups fully integrate. Especially those who are Visible minorities and/or belong to a totally different Culture. It is best to just let them go at their own pace of adaptation and it's certainly not wise to just treat them as if they are the same as the general population(meaning: Be polite, helpful, etc, but they aren't your best buds who'll understand things the way your lifelong pals would).

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Reluctance to adopt a new homeland is pretty much true of any Ethnic population in a foreign land. It takes 2-3 generations before Ethnic groups fully integrate. Especially those who are Visible minorities and/or belong to a totally different Culture. It is best to just let them go at their own pace of adaptation and it's certainly not wise to just treat them as if they are the same as the general population(meaning: Be polite, helpful, etc, but they aren't your best buds who'll understand things the way your lifelong pals would).

Certainly, there are many groups that have problems, but they generally keep to themselves(for good and bad, good in that they don't cause trouble, bad in that keeping to themselves won't make integrating with society any easier).
It's when you start disrespecting the countrys laws that I start to get pissed.

I did visit a Swedish muslim forum once, just out of curiosity and interest, and I must say, what I saw was quite disheartning.
So many posts where for example a girl in a muslim family was in love with a Swedish guys(or the other way around) and where her/his family wouldn't accept it, and so many replies saying they should just forget it because the Swedish girl/guy wasn't a muslim.
Or just advice on how to get around or just outright break laws because they didn't like them, even some advice on stuff like how to raise your child in a muslim country so they could be raised "right", and still manage to keep your child support from Sweden.

These were mostly people who were very good at Swedish, so obviously not entirely fresh immigrants.

To me those people rate about as high as neo nazis and other similar "factions", and if it was up to me, we'd just send them all back to where ever they came from.
Not sure what we'd do with those neo nazis though...guess we can't really send them anywhere since they're unfortunately mostly from here...oh well, first things first ;)

Oh and I have met some very nice muslims who have no problem whatsoever adapting.
A old classmate of mine had a muslim family, he wasn't though and while I don't think they liked it, they respected that he had a right to live however he felt like, and both his parents had jobs(in fact his father had a company of his own) and so on, so obviously some people do manage to adapt.
They were from Iran I think...not entirely sure though...

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
Is any body tracking the news lately ? WTF ? All of those newspapers that wouldn't dare open their mouth has it been an editor being jailed for saying that he needs proof that the holocaust really happened at that magnitude, or even dare challenge any historic theories being shoved down his throat, while on the other hand they call this "freedom of press" ?

BS they want to prove it to me that they are using their right of freedom of press, well let me see one of those brave newspapers post one article about the holocaust, not necessitous denying it, I don't deny the mass murder of Jews on the hands of Hitler nor I think those innocent civilians deserved any punishment, but at the same time I don't think it was really at the magnitude that people really think it is (6,000,000 people !) , all of you guys jumping on the band wagon never dared to ask how the hell aren't those newspapers enjoying their freedom of speech when they are being told to shut up if they ever mentioned anything negative about Jews in Europe !!!

No I am not saying that Jews are related in anyway to all of this, I am giving the slow-minds of you an example so you can make a comparison about it, and that excuse that "No it's ok for them to be shut up when it comes to Jews, because this is a fact" BS most of the historians and writers being jailed are asking for THE PROOF , and yet none given, it's not the proof about "either it happened or not " it's the proof that says, that it was really 6,000,000 who were Jews and were killed for that reason by the hands of Nazi Germany.

This is absolutely BIASED, you can't deny it, no one can deny it, all of you taking the chance out of this to bash Islam, I go used to that by now, I know all of you are happy because whatever the result is it's going to make Muslims across the world look bad, has it been some Jews acting against an "anti-semitic" newspaper(s) it would have been a completely different story.

Why am I bringing Jews to the story, well it's the perfect counter-example when it comes to the issue of freedom of press in Europe and how the treatment of Muslims in Europe is % 100 unfair. Second point , most of the Jews here on P&N are posting threads right and left in celebration of these events, and they left me no option but to call all of them out and ask them about why aren't newspaper's allowed to post a couple of pics of the usual Jewish sterotypes, not the holocaust just a stereotype of a Jew, that's satire isn't , but still the newspaper would close down for sure.

You are all blind and biased people with undercover political agendas period.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: The Linuxator
EDITED
Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah Joos, blah, blah blah, Joos, blah blah blah, Joos, blah blah blah Nazi', blah blah blah Joos.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

The more I read your posts and see your blind, irrational hatred and scapegoating logic, the more I can understand how people can train for 3 years knowing they are going to die, and still have no problem killing thousands of innocent people. You say we are all blind, no it is you that is blind with your outdated beliefs and blame. You need help. Big time.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

Why am I bringing Jews to the story, well it's the perfect counter-example when it comes to the issue fo freedom of press in Europe and how the treeatment of Muslims in Europe is % 100 unfair. Second point , most of the Jews here on P&N are posting threads right and left in celebration of these events, and they left me no option but to calll all of them out and ask them about why aren't newspaper's allowed to post a couple of pics of the usual Jewish sterotypes, not the holocaust just a steroetype of a Jew, that's satire isn't , but still the newspaper would close down for sure.

No matter how you twist and turn your historical view I doubt that you will deny jews were beeing send to concentration camps, wer beeing killed in vast numbers and herrased in any possible way during the nazi regime. Now, even if I follow your statement about the numbers beeing totally incorrect I still fail to see how the fvck this would ever be something to joke about. Even if it was "only" 600.000 or 60.000 jews or whatever you believe it doesn't make it less tragic, as it's the whole idea of condemning a totally harmless group of people just because of their religion.

If you've even seen the drawings you would see that 3 show some negative sides we connect with islam, 7 are pretty harmless (except ofcourse having Muhammed in them) and two actually making fun of the newspaper and their journalists.

How are muslims in Europe beeing treated 100% unfair? the sentence doesn't make any sence. Are they treated better in the middle east? How should they be treated 100% fair, compared to other groups in the society? It's the very few percent of radical muslims that ruins it for all the good and peaceful muslims. What I can see happening now is that the normal muslims are beeing very tired of beeing put in the same group as the fundamentalists, and have started a new organization to represent them.

So while this is very stormfull atm, there might actually come something good out of it.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I consider your defination of freedom without any limitations silly and you are obviously trying to impose it on others. That makes you exactly the same as what you think I am trying to do.

Bud, you're the one trying to impose your idea of "freedom" on others. I am perfectly fine the way things are: it is you who wants to impose someting called "right not be insulted", which is simply a way for you and your group to control what others say and do. That is not freedom, that is oppression.

Whatever your twisted mind tell you......

I still call it imposing your ideas on others. No wonder the US government uses the farce that they abuse their own laws outside of US territories on their prisoners.

Come back when you think that all human beings are equal and respect for others is a must for peaceful co-existence. If you can't and don't appreciate other people's beliefs and traditions, you can't have any liberty/life for peaceful co-existence. And if that is the case, you are just being an extremist tool.

Bahahaha. Let me give you a rough ethnical breakdown of my closest friends: 1 ukrainian, 1 armenian, 1 romanian, 1 palestinian, 1 egyptian, 1 indian and 3 chinese. I live in Toronto, so this is fairly normal for any group of friends.

You see, we all get a long nicely (I've known most of them for almost as long as I've been in Canada) and nobody has a problem with anybody. However, the difference betwen my friends and you is that they don't believe in forcing everyone else to live by their rules. If someone offends them, they do what normal people do, they don't threaten to kill them.

Actually in the other thread by raildogg, I clearly said that I have friends who are Christian, Hindu and Muslims. You conveniently forget that. I have never had any problems living with them and making any compromises for them so they can live in a peaceful environment. I have many more online friends too from different religions. I have never imposed my rules on them or threatened them and vica versa. Stop lying and assuming things about me of which you have no idea at all. Control your chauvinistic tendencies before they cause you any hurt. You have some superiority complex which you need to have examined.

I must have had a lapse of memory to ignore my own ATP&N warning in the sig.

Your lapse of memory was forgeting your original post and assertions. First you say that harmless free speech exploits and violates the rights of others, then you go on about how they shouldn't do that since "right to be insulted" doesn't exist and how there should be limits to freedom of speech (in this context, not being able to insult others) because otherwise people are animals.

Now go up to your friends and tell them that according to you, their right to insult should not exist.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Most Muslims have protested peacefully. Why are you only looking at the one's who were violent? You have a very biased opinion. No point in arguing with you since you are so set in your own idiosyncrasies.

How is it biased, dumbass? I don't have a problem with normal protests and have omitted mentioning them (apart from saying some of them are hypocritical). What I do have a problem with, and what I've been constantly talking about is the death threats, violence etc. Anybody who does that or defends that is lowlife scum.

MCsommerreid

Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: MCsommerreid
Originally posted by: MCsommerreid
The only way these cartoons could actually hurt someone is if they took their religion so seriously that they couldn't allow non-believers or satirists to conduct themselves while viewing it realistically as what it is. Instead it becomes a direct attack on said religion, and is taken as a most personal insult.

Will you please laud actions of the French government or state your bias? Either way, it is a direct attack on said religion, and it is highly doubtful that the newspapers did not know about it, and used the whole event as a massive publicity stunt and further incite hatred against Muslims portraying them as followers of a terrorist.

My bias supporting any freedom of speach that doesn't directly support violence?

So indirectly inciting violence is ok? Sounds like you should be one of those Muslim mullahs who sit and preach hatred in mosques :D

The problem with indirect violence is that it's indirect and not caused by something being said, but by people reacting in a radical way most often the side being spoken against. Preaching hatred is not preaching violence, it's preaching hatred. Saying "Death to America" is a whole hell of a lot different than "America is the devil" unless you radically take "America is the devil" to meaning America should be destroyed because it is the devil.

Violence is really a grey area that can be attributed to a lot more than just words, unless they're very direct words to violence.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
It would have been better to allow the demonstrations, to fight them, and beat them, than give into them. Of course, we need to take into consideration the poor immigrants.... which is more important than freedom of the press. I suppose most Islamic people live in Totaliterian states, and have never know what freedom of the press is. Perhaps this freedom just scares them, but it is time for them to adjust.

And if they cannot, we should just make Islam illegal.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: RichardE
It would have been better to allow the demonstrations, to fight them, and beat them, than give into them. Of course, we need to take into consideration the poor immigrants.... which is more important than freedom of the press. I suppose most Islamic people live in Totaliterian states, and have never know what freedom of the press is. Perhaps this freedom just scares them, but it is time for them to adjust.

:confused:
which demonstrations have not been allowed?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
A blog and someone elses opinion.....

Figures......

A quote from your own link:

But we readers have the corresponding right to tell newspapers what we think; and newspaper editors have the right to choose not to publish anti-Semitic dribble if they don't want to.

Exactly what the protest over the ccaricatures is all about. We can protest and they can stop publishing them.

Uh huh. And did these people threaten the Independent's editors with death? Did Sharon call Blair and demand an apology? Did Israelis boycott british companies?
no, no and NO.

And that is the difference between how normal people react when offended, and how crazy, hateful, intolerant radicals react. QED.

Oho, and the extremists involved aren't usually violent??? :laugh:

Most? When Muslims start policing themselves then come back and and talk about bias. Until then nobody is buying into your discrimination BS.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

None, but they bent over to try to get them to stop. Im saying don't let them demonstrate all they want, than beat them back into submission.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

None, but they bent over to try to get them to stop. Im saying don't let them demonstrate all they want, than beat them back into submission.

Having a demonstration is as much a right as freedom of speech is.
Of course, turning that demonstration into street violence is another thing entirely.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

Having a demonstration is as much a right as freedom of speech is.
Of course, turning that demonstration into street violence is another thing entirely.

I have no problem with them demonstrating, let them demonstrate all they want, just do not let it change what you are doing. Eventually they will turn violent and you can crush the demonstration.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Is any body tracking the news lately ? WTF ? All of those newspapers that wouldn't dare open their mouth has it been an editor being jailed for saying that he needs proof that the holocaust really happened at that magnitude, or even dare challenge any historic theories being shoved down his throat, while on the other hand they call this "freedom of press" ?

BS they want to prove it to me that they are using their right of freedom of press, well let me see one of those brave newspapers post one article about the holocaust, not necessitous denying it, I don't deny the mass murder of Jews on the hands of Hitler nor I think those innocent civilians deserved any punishment, but at the same time I don't think it was really at the magnitude that people really think it is (6,000,000 people !) , all of you guys jumping on the band wagon never dared to ask how the hell aren't those newspapers enjoying their freedom of speech when they are being told to shut up if they ever mentioned anything negative about Jews in Europe !!!

No I am not saying that Jews are related in anyway to all of this, I am giving the slow-minds of you an example so you can make a comparison about it, and that excuse that "No it's ok for them to be shut up when it comes to Jews, because this is a fact" BS most of the historians and writers being jailed are asking for THE PROOF , and yet none given, it's not the proof about "either it happened or not " it's the proof that says, that it was really 6,000,000 who were Jews and were killed for that reason by the hands of Nazi Germany.

This is absolutely BIASED, you can't deny it, no one can deny it, all of you taking the chance out of this to bash Islam, I go used to that by now, I know all of you are happy because whatever the result is it's going to make Muslims across the world look bad, has it been some Jews acting against an "anti-semitic" newspaper(s) it would have been a completely different story.

Why am I bringing Jews to the story, well it's the perfect counter-example when it comes to the issue of freedom of press in Europe and how the treatment of Muslims in Europe is % 100 unfair. Second point , most of the Jews here on P&N are posting threads right and left in celebration of these events, and they left me no option but to call all of them out and ask them about why aren't newspaper's allowed to post a couple of pics of the usual Jewish sterotypes, not the holocaust just a stereotype of a Jew, that's satire isn't , but still the newspaper would close down for sure.

They are different situations though. Denying the Holocaust (where laws in many European countries prevent) is a completely different than what these newspapers printed. Some European countries even have laws regarding the Armenian genocide and denying it, so it certainly isn't restricted to the evil Jews. Many non-Jews were involved in the Holocaust as well.

One of the newspapers included the Jewish God in a caricature. There are several far-right European politicians that have stated things about the Holocaust that you would probably agree with too.

You are blind and biased people with undercover political agendas period.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
Either you have freedom or you don't. Either you have equality or you don't.

The only times these statements do not ring true is when the other person is directly threatened with physical violence or when said violence is carried out or it effects them physically. For example. You do not have the freedom to walk up to someone and threaten them with a knife or cut them with a knife or even walk to them and block their way on purpose.

You also should be treating everyone equally. Period. That means no favoritism for minorities, special interest groups or one religion over another.

You also have the follow the laws of each nation. A nation does not have a right to impose its will on another.

A cartoon of the Pope or a Jew doing something questionable is perfectly fine yet when it has to do with Muslims its suddenly a no no in a supposedly free, equal, democratic country?

After reading and understanding this can you see the hypocrisy in all this?

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001

This point has been brought forth in nearly all these posts on this cartoon topic but has been conveniently ignored by all the extremist Jews, etc here on this board by comparison of the level of resultant protest. It is pretty obvious they just want to bash Islam as per their desired agenda. They can do it all they want. They are just showing their lack of civility and respect for the other people whom they supposedly co-exist with. :roll: