Freeware programs and applications (continuation)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: igowerf
Image viewer:
Irfanview. I've been using Irfanview for a couple years now. It's very powerful and supports a lot of basic image editing functions. Through plug-ins, you can view just about any media file.
I used to also suggest a program called Slowview, but it has become a commercial program now with only a downloadable trial.
XnView is another good image viewer. I've used it before and a few people have suggested it in this thread.

FASTSTONE IMAGE VIEWER is the best free ware image viewer. I'm very surprised it wasn't on this list.

gba

Apr 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Arcadio
Anyone know of a free PDF reader? I hate Adobe's Reader....

I use Foxit Reader.

"Foxit Reader is a free PDF document viewer and printer, with incredible small size (only 2.55 M download size), breezing-fast launch speed and rich feature set. Foxit Reader supports Windows Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.7."

Imyourzero

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Perry404
Startup delayer.
A powerful freeware utility to speedup windows boot. Probably the only one that actually works.

Oh man, that's pretty sweet. Hadn't seen that before; thanks for the link (I would change it to the description page rather than the download page, though)

I probably won't use it on my computer, as everything loads up quickly anyway, but I'm definitely going to think about using this app next time I work on a computer with 20 icons in the system tray. ;)

d3lt4

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks so much for this list. It has helped me countless times and I use many of the programs regularly.

ChristianV

Feb 5, 2007
yeah, Unlocker is great.

a great multimedia player: The KMPlayer - no this is not the Linux app, it's a windows software, completely different.
MP3 Tags: MP3 Tag Studio - comes with a little advert window, but it's free and unlimited I think - It's a great tool to edit MP3 tags it has also got a casefix feature and it can get tags from filenames and rename files by tags. If you know how to use it it can be quite powerful.

Text Editor: PSPad - great editor with plugin support and syntax highlighting
XAMPP - apache mysql php and perl, a free easy to install server

IDEs: Borlands new Turbo series
http://www.turboexplorer.com/

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I found a free app called Sandboxie

it allows you to isolate an app from the system and execute it with no harm to your OS.

I tried it out with a nasty app I had kicking around and Sandboxie kept it from infecting my pc.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Virtualwin multiple desktops program. If you have never used multiple desktops, your missing out.
Make 4 or more desktops that you can switch between with a key or mouse. Without having to minimize, move , organize a single desktop. Virtualwin was the only one that would let me display full screen video on one desktop and still switch between the others. I also use lots of OpenGL applications that usually don't like desktop switching , but they work great too. I have 4 desktops configured horizontally and set to autoswitch when the mouse reaches the screen borders. There is also modules you can download to do even more. Great for a free application.

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: GZeus
I'd been trying to find a good multi-purpose freeware video converter for Windows.

Basically, I have all the codecs to play anything on my PC, but I want to be able to convert to other formats when needed (PSP, iPod, etc). I was looking for one app that did the widest assortment of formats.

Found this: Super

Review

So far, I'm impressed. It smoked through the 3 vids I've thrown at it.

It seems to have just about every video codec ever made and can convert between them all. It has default settings for converting video to PSP, iPod and a couple of others.

I did a post installation check with AVG,SpyBot, AdAware, MS Defender and SpySweeper and nothing showed so it seems to be 'clean'. It did try to access the 'trusted zone' but I took care of that with ZA.

Anyone else looking for something similar should consider this program. Opinions wanted.

Is it just me or is there no download link on that website, which btw is the worst site on the internet??

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Is it just me or is there no download link on that website, which btw is the worst site on the internet??

there's a link.... but it's almost impossible to find.... i agree. pretty much the worst website ever.... by far. :)

acr

Mar 28, 2008
Where is the download link for that Super player? Could someone post a screen shot?

thanks

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Avid FreeDV is no longer available for download... I went to the link hoping I can get that software as a good alternative for video capture through my Radeon X1950 VIVO capability but only found disappointment.

Is there any free Video Capture Software that is a better alternative to Windows Movie Maker? I only know of VirtualDub but the audio and video capture doesn't capture in sync, and the audio capture (done this through line in) didn't exactly capture right

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
for those with TV Cards, here's a freeware that can extract the Closed Captions off the MPEG-2 files: CCExtractor. i tried on a file generated by my Hauppauge PVR-250 and it worked perfectly.

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
I can't see a listing for Encryption software...

So here are my suggestions

1. TrueCrypt: Good for maintaining virtual encrypted disks, encrypting the entire system partition or drive, has strong encryption algorithms, Can also have hidden OSes, partitions in the disk/file.... here's the link:http://www.truecrypt.org/

2. AxCrypt: http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/
Better for single file encryption, for sending over email n stuff like that.... provides good enough encryption. Quick and easy, right click integration into windows, even supports self-decrypting/encrypting files....

Just thought you could list these in the thread.