Freed inmate refuses to leave jail...

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/10/21/germany.prisoner.reut/index.html

BERLIN, Germany (Reuters) -- A 59-year-old German man who has spent the last 34 years in jail has turned down offers to be let out, an official said on Saturday.

"He rejected an offer to leave in 1992," Thomas Melzer, a spokesman for the Brandenburg state justice ministry, told Bild newspaper. "We can't do anything if someone sentenced to life in prison doesn't want to leave."

The man, identified only as Gerold H, was convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment in 1972 when the area was part of communist East Germany.

German prisoners have no obligation to agree to leave jail before their sentences have been completed.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Reminds me of Brooks from Shawshank Redemption and how unhappy he was when he was released.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
It kinda makes sense.
What is the guy gonna do at the age of 59 coming out of Jail. Unless he has family or what not.

Similar situation as the Shawshank Redemption.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
Reminds me of Brooks from Shawshank Redemption and how unhappy he was when he was released.

Was going to say the same thing. That's one of the few times I've ever teared up during a movie :(

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Why don't they just kick him out? Just because he doesn't want to leave does that mean taxpayers should keeping paying to keep him locked up? :roll:

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
Why don't they just kick him out? Just because he doesn't want to leave does that mean taxpayers should keeping paying to keep him locked up? :roll:

Actually, it does. The fact that the man doesn't want to leave means that the system has failed. We are therefore liable to take care of him. Also note that his sentence was not completely served yet.

Art Vandelay

Jul 30, 2006

His sentence is not over. They are offering to let him go but he refuses.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

German prisoners have no obligation to agree to leave jail before their sentences have been completed.
Way to read the article!

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
These walls are funny. First you hate them. Then you get used to them. Then you grow to depend on them.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

he was sentenced to a LIFE SENTENCE. period.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BobDaMenkey
These walls are funny. First you hate them. Then you get used to them. Then you grow to depend on them.
?40 years i?ve been asking for permission to piss.. i cant sqeeze a drop without say so..?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

Actually, it does. The fact that the man doesn't want to leave means that the system has failed. We are therefore liable to take care of him. Also note that his sentence was not completely served yet.

You live in Germany? I'm only asking because you said that "We are liable to take care of him." If you don't live in Germany it is none of your concern.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

hmm i know! maybe because if you read the article (wich you did not) you would know he has a LIFE SENTANCE. they are just ofering to let him out early.

i can't say i disagree with the guy. he was around 25 when he went in for life. hell he spent more time in jail then he has out. What is a 59 yr old who spent most of his life in jail going to do?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
They were planning on doing that anyway when he was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: MrFire8808
<shawshank redemption>
He's institutionalized
</shawshank redemption>

Exactly...
I still remember that old guy that wanted to be back in jail... So he suicided :(...

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: isekii
It kinda makes sense.
What is the guy gonna do at the age of 59 coming out of Jail. Unless he has family or what not.

He could have gotten out 14 years ago, at the age of 45.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Originally posted by: isekii
It kinda makes sense.

He could have gotten out 14 years ago, at the age of 45.

still evne at that point he spent nearly half his life in prison. what skills does he have besides not dropping the soap?