free refills now target.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Except the Mayo Clinic and the CDC is wrong. You can lose weight eating high fat/high calories AS LONG AS YOU KEEP CARBS LOW. I have a friend who lost 50 pounds eating this as his normal meal:

Breakfast: 3 eggs (all with yolk) and 4 pieces of bacon (or sausage)

Lunch: 2 Burger patties (without bun), 2 pieces of cheese on it, maybe some salad

Snack: Nuts, Cheese

Dinner: A big ass steak and some cooked vegetables.

Keepking blood sugar low/insulin low is much more important.

Look at the people who lost lots of weight eating 'bad' fatty food:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

The 'low calorie' myth is an oversimplistic explanation because it's much easier to tell people to eat less calories rather than focus more on the TYPES of calories you're eating.

The Keto diet? I am not familiar with it but this is what I just looked up:
Your body burns fat as it's primary fuel source 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Thus, if you restrict calories, you will burn off adipose bodyfat at a rate no carb-based diet can match. Next, people in ketosis very often eat much less than when they're on carbs. For most people, being in ketosis strongly blunts hunger feelings, which makes it much easier to restrict calories.
http://www.keto.org/summary.htm

And do you really expect that simplistic description to convince someone? There are so many holes I don't even know where to begin.

That meal description is almost completely worthless without more information. Burgers can vary by 300+ calories a patty. How can I tell how many calories are in a 'big assed' steak.

However - taking some rough estimates of calories from your description that entire days worth of eating could be well under 2000 calories.

Now, is that enough to lose weight? Who the fuck knows because you said nothing about his height, weight age, level of activity

Running the numbers for a 180lb 26 year old man with light activity he needs to consume 2568 calories to maintain his weight. Eating less than this will cause him to lose weight.

(Not to mention none of those posts in the link that i found seem to convey concrete information on diet or exercise.)

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The Keto diet? I am not familiar with it but this is what I just looked up:

http://www.keto.org/summary.htm

And do you really expect that simplistic description to convince someone? There are so many holes I don't even know where to begin.

That meal description is almost completely worthless without more information. Burgers can vary by 300+ calories a patty. How can I tell how many calories are in a 'big assed' steak.

However - taking some rough estimates of calories from your description that entire days worth of eating could be well under 2000 calories.

Now, is that enough to lose weight? Who the fuck knows because you said nothing about his height, weight age, level of activity

Running the numbers for a 180lb 26 year old man with light activity he needs to consume 2568 calories to maintain his weight. Eating less than this will cause him to lose weight.

(Not to mention none of those posts in the link that i found seem to convey concrete information on diet or exercise.)

Restrict IN A RELATIVE SENSE. You can eat a WHOLE lot more on a ketogenic diet than you can with a carb based one and lose weight. Or if you want, you can restrict how much you eat on a no-carb diet and lose weight FASTER. That's the whole point. If you DON'T restrict your calories on a no carb diet, you won't get fat, in fact, it's hard to eat 'too much' because fat sates your appetite MUCH MUCH more than carbs do. When you're hungry in the morning, try eating several pieces of bacon. Then, next time, try a bowl of cereal. There's more 'stuff' in the cereal, but the bacon sates you more (even though there's probably more calories in the bacon)... and you'll probably still be hungry after eating the cereal.

When you eat carbs, your body is burning off the blood sugar/glycogen stores in your muscles before it will turn to your fat deposits for fuel. When you are on a low carb diet, your glycogen stores will be low/depleted, your blood sugar is low, thus your body will turn to your FAT stores to burn fuel FIRST. What that means is you can eat MUCH more on a low carb diet than you can on a carb diet and counting calories is not as necessary and it's much easier to do because fat sates your appetite much more easily than carbs do.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Since you ignored my first question does that mean you realized your incorrectly inferred a statement that was never made by me?

And you do realize that even though risky drivers pay more it is still a socialized risk system right?

Insurance is a socialized risk system that makes attempts to account for the vary risk profiles of different people.

If you want to institute a health insurance plan that does not take the differing risk profiles of people into account. Logically if you are one of the people with a low risk profile you will want to create rules to lower the risk profiles of others.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Restrict IN A RELATIVE SENSE. You can eat a WHOLE lot more on a ketogenic diet than you can with a carb based one and lose weight. Or if you want, you can restrict how much you eat on a no-carb diet and lose weight FASTER. That's the whole point. If you DON'T restrict your calories on a no carb diet, you won't get fat, in fact, it's hard to eat 'too much' because fat sates your appetite MUCH MUCH more than carbs do. When you're hungry in the morning, try eating several pieces of bacon. Then, next time, try a bowl of cereal. There's more 'stuff' in the cereal, but the bacon sates you more (even though there's probably more calories in the bacon)... and you'll probably still be hungry after eating the cereal.

When you eat carbs, your body is burning off the blood sugar/glycogen stores in your muscles before it will turn to your fat deposits for fuel. When you are on a low carb diet, your glycogen stores will be low/depleted, your blood sugar is low, thus your body will turn to your FAT stores to burn fuel FIRST. What that means is you can eat MUCH more on a low carb diet than you can on a carb diet and counting calories is not as necessary and it's much easier to do because fat sates your appetite much more easily than carbs do.

If low calories were a myth then calories wouldn't enter into the equation at all.

I completely agree that there are little nuances here and there that will help or hinder your weight loss but they all - to some extent - center around calories. They have to as a calorie is a measure of food energy. Take in less energy - in whatever shape or form - than you burn and you will lose weight. Is it over simplistic? Yes. Are there better ways to do it? Yes (although individual results will vary). Will the simplistic way work? Yes. Some methods will target that energy burn better and more efficiently which may allow you to ear more but the underlying foundation is the same.

Taking in more energy, over time, will result in weight gain. It has to as the body has to put it somewhere. Changing the types of food may change how it is stored but it is still stored

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I'm just amazed that government has the time to regulate consumption behavior.

Yes fat people are a scourge on society, but this will not stop them from being fat. They need a complete lifestyle change, which cannot be legislated.

How else are they going to justify an expansion of government which would then require more tax dollars to be funneled into the bottomless pit of big government while delivering less bang for the tax payers bucks.