Question Free EPYC.... BUT see inside ** Updated, its not available anymore, see inside for why ** But I did get a 24 core EPYC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, so I have a EPYC 32 core 7551 ES I will give away for shipping only to a DC member.

Here is the catch, and I doubt anyone will take me up on it, but you never know. The only motherboard/bios it will work on is a Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 (pretty sure thats it) and only on bios G0 (I have to verify that also, I have it)

And here is the kicker.... It only runs at ONE GHZ fully loaded in linux.

But a free 32 core CPU ? Well, we will see. I got suckered into this years ago, and it cost me $300 each for 2 CPUs and $650 for the motherboard, and the other one I bought is now out of commission , but it still works. If I could sell the motherboard, it might be worth it. I may ebay it and we will see.

Edit: I hate to say it, but I might have found a reason for someone to buy the motherboard (but I will put that on ebay) 5 PCI x16 slots, and 2 x8 slots, and all of them have a decent amount of lanes. Miners might jump at it.

Edit: here is the listing for the one I was using...Miners dream ? we will see.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
This card is PCI, not express... Any chance ? […] NO EPYC board has any PCI slots, all PCI Express x16 or X8 or X4.
Somewhat off topic: There are PCIe to PCI slot adapters. IMO avoid ones with ASMedia bridge chip and prefer ones with PLX or Tundra bridge chip.

(Whether or not it is possible to boot from media which are attached via a PCIe or PCI based controller is then another question. Depends on presence of an option ROM on the controller, and the mentioned UEFI/dual/legacy mode switch in the BIOS.)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, this motherboard sure acts differently than my EPYCD8's, it won't even get into a boot linux USB stick, boot loop. At least there, I could get into linux, but I could not install it. Tried 3 different ways to get into sata, NVME and IDE, no dice. And EPYC processors on ebay have doubled since I last saw ! Tripled in some cases. I paid $1100 for a retail 7452. Now the cheapest I can find is $3,300 !

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I was able to get a 24 core naples for $375. Not too bad. With this new 7401p I will have 1084 logical cores running.

Last edited:

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Well, this motherboard sure acts differently than my EPYCD8's, it won't even get into a boot linux USB stick, boot loop. At least there, I could get into linux, but I could not install it. Tried 3 different ways to get into sata, NVME and IDE, no dice. And EPYC processors on ebay have doubled since I last saw ! Tripled in some cases. I paid $1100 for a retail 7452. Now the cheapest I can find is $3,300 !
A continuous boot loop can be caused by reversed polarity of the front panel boot switch on Gigabyte boards, where it is always grounded. Try reversing it.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
A continuous boot loop can be caused by reversed polarity of the front panel boot switch on Gigabyte boards, where it is always grounded. Try reversing it.
When I say boot loop... It will get the linux menu to install mint, then start to load it, THEN reboot, forever. 2 of us have not given up on 2 different motherboard. I don't want to spend $600 on a motherboard that will only run 7001 series, and that runs a CPU at 1 ghz. I sold the other one, and now will have a 24 core 48 thread at 2 ghz (or more) for $750 total (cpu+motherboard only_)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The 7401P came. Reset bios to defaults, rebooted, and its installing mint 19.2 no problem.

48 more logical core coming.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Help !! So it saw the only hard disk I had in it, the NVNE drive, and I said erase all and install. It said it was done. It would not boot to it. So I changed it to UEFI hard disk, still will not boot to it. I did not have this problem with my other supermicro or the ASRock EPYCD8. What gives ??

Edit: after googling for a bit, I may have found the answer:

Edit2:Yup, that was it, installing updates now

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I still have it here. I'm leaving for Costa Rica for a research trip for 1.5 months. If you'd like it I'll have to ship on Tuesday.

I'm glad the board works!
I am using a 360 AIO, that does not quite cover the CPU. It was one of the first. When I can find a home for it in my house, I will check temps.
In case I want it, let me know how much you want shipped. Out of cash right now, I just had that $12k AC replacement bill. but in a few weeks maybe.