Question Free EPYC.... BUT see inside ** Updated, its not available anymore, see inside for why ** But I did get a 24 core EPYC

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, so I have a EPYC 32 core 7551 ES I will give away for shipping only to a DC member.

Here is the catch, and I doubt anyone will take me up on it, but you never know. The only motherboard/bios it will work on is a Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 (pretty sure thats it) and only on bios G0 (I have to verify that also, I have it)

And here is the kicker.... It only runs at ONE GHZ fully loaded in linux.

But a free 32 core CPU ? Well, we will see. I got suckered into this years ago, and it cost me $300 each for 2 CPUs and $650 for the motherboard, and the other one I bought is now out of commission , but it still works. If I could sell the motherboard, it might be worth it. I may ebay it and we will see.

Edit: I hate to say it, but I might have found a reason for someone to buy the motherboard (but I will put that on ebay) 5 PCI x16 slots, and 2 x8 slots, and all of them have a decent amount of lanes. Miners might jump at it.

Edit: here is the listing for the one I was using...Miners dream ? we will see.

Last edited:

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Mark, you seem to have lots of Epyc boards. Have you tried the CPU in a supermicro and it did not work? I am still researching these when I get some time...

Everyone should know that AMD Epycs are now getting locked into a vendor such as HP and Dell, when plugged into the specific vendor motherboard. So watch for this going forward. Other mid level and smaller vendors might start doing this going forward also. It sounds like for security reasons that future enterprise / server Intel and others will start doing this also.

There is some industry push back to be able to undo this as well so that these cpus can have longer life in the 2nd / used market.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Mark, you seem to have lots of Epyc boards. Have you tried the CPU in a supermicro and it did not work? I am still researching these when I get some time...

Everyone should know that AMD Epycs are now getting locked into a vendor such as HP and Dell, when plugged into the specific vendor motherboard. So watch for this going forward. Other mid level and smaller vendors might start doing this going forward also. It sounds like for security reasons that future enterprise / server Intel and others will start doing this also.

There is some industry push back to be able to undo this as well so that these cpus can have longer life in the 2nd / used market.
I just got a 7551 retail EPYC today, not locked, so they are still out there. But yes, the last one I bought was dell only, but I got a refund, since it was not advertised as such. But if you look, there are deals out there. My 2990wx CPUs cost me like $1800 each and they are close to Naples EPYC's, just use more power. The 7551 I just got was $500 ! at 2.5 ghz vs 3 ghz, quite the deal.

You just have to weigh the price vs other CPUs. I have a E5-2683v3 sitting here doing nothing, it also runs at 2.5 ghz, but even Naples blows it away on price and performance. I can't even get $100 for it,.

Edit: Dell is the only vendor that makes it permanent. They blow a fuse in the CPU the first time its powered on. The other vendors locks can be undone.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Hey Mark - is there a chance in hell that the CPU will work with a ASROCK RACK EPYCD8-2T? I have a acquaintance in Hilo that will sell me the board for $100 and I'd need a chip to pair it with. I already have a Supermicro 650w Gold Power supply, FirePro W4100 and 16gb DDR4 ECC to pair it with. Let me know if you want more info from me. I'd give it a good home (crunching Milkyway@Home!)

My apologies if I misread your post!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hey Mark - is there a chance in hell that the CPU will work with a ASROCK RACK EPYCD8-2T? I have a acquaintance in Hilo that will sell me the board for $100 and I'd need a chip to pair it with. I already have a Supermicro 650w Gold Power supply, FirePro W4100 and 16gb DDR4 ECC to pair it with. Let me know if you want more info from me. I'd give it a good home (crunching Milkyway@Home!)

I tried it, it will post, but you can't do any IO (install an OS). But if you want to try, send me the money to ship it and its yours.

Markfw

May 16, 2002

All, So I am going to mail to burninator ! Good luck, keep us appraised.

Markfw

May 16, 2002

Does that PSU have an 8 pin and a 4 pin CPU power plug ? If not, it won't even post.

But if it does, I just had a thought. If you can somehow make a bootable linux USB drive that can use the USB drive for the OS, and install things on it ? it might work. I know I can get a USB linux install drive to boot, but as soon as I try to install an OS on the NVME drive or a sata drive, it goes out to lunch.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Does that PSU have an 8 pin and a 4 pin CPU power plug ? If not, it won't even post.

But if it does, I just had a thought. If you can somehow make a bootable linux USB drive that can use the USB drive for the OS, and install things on it ? it might work. I know I can get a USB linux install drive to boot, but as soon as I try to install an OS on the NVME drive or a sata drive, it goes out to lunch.

This is the PSU I have planned for this build. I was wrong in the first post. It appears to be 560W max rated (should still be ok - I'm not planning on a 290x or similar with this system).

I will try the "live" linux boot and let you know how it goes.

Parts so far:

ASROCK RACK EPYCD8-2T
4x 8GB Samsung DDR4-2400 ECC-Registered
860 EVO 500GB
Firepro W4100 4GB
Supermicro 600w-1u-pws-563-1h

Last edited:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Some minor updates:

1) I ended up going with a
Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-B for $380. My friends Asrock Rack Board is Rev 2 and doesn't seem likely to support a Zen 1 EPYC ES. I was doing some forum sleuthing and I saw the MBD-H11SSL-I series mentioned as likely supporting ES chips. I will post some build logs when it arrives.

2) I caved and bought a Noctua NH-U12S SP3 Cooler.

3) I canceled my order for 4x8GB sticks of DDR4 RDIMM's. Until I'm sure this combo works I'm going to test boot with a single stick.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Some minor updates:

Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-B for $380. My friends Asrock Rack Board is Rev 2 and doesn't seem likely to support a Zen 1 EPYC ES. I was doing some forum sleuthing and I saw the MBD-H11SSL-I series mentioned as likely supporting ES chips. I will post some build logs when it arrives.

3) I canceled my order for 4x8GB sticks of DDR4 RDIMM's. Until I'm sure this combo works I'm going to test boot with a single stick.
It will post most likely. The problem was installing the OS

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Some minor updates:

I just saw the 14 inch SP3 version for $80, but I can't find it now. I have 11 of these

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
The board and SP3 cooler showed up. Waiting on the single RDIMM to show up so I can test boot. I tried with a DDR4 SODIMM to DIMM adapter with some laptop memory I had before I rememberd that EPYC requires RDIMM or LRDIMM.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The board and SP3 cooler showed up. Waiting on the single RDIMM to show up so I can test boot. I tried with a DDR4 SODIMM to DIMM adapter with some laptop memory I had before I rememberd that EPYC requires RDIMM or LRDIMM.
Yes, ECC and I think registered, but ECC is required. Not positive about the registered.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hey Mark, do you have a spare SP3 carrier frame? I totally spaced that one is required to install the cpu. I'm SOL until I can find one (no luck on ebay).

You actually do not need it. You have to be EXTREMELY careful putting the cpu in the socket, but most of my EPYC ES chips do not have it. Its there to make insertion easy, fast and safe, but NOT required, I know since I have most of mine done without the frame. Lots of light and reading glasses. First, make sure its oriented correctly (the >) and very gently lower it into place. I can't really say more. I did ruin my first motherboard (a threadripper), but since I have been able to do it. Its key to get it centered correctly, NO force insertion ! I usually put one end it at a small angle, then lower the other end down.

Edit: If you look closely at the picture in ebay in post number one, you can see, no carrier. This worked flawlessly for years, just as pictured.

BTW, I assume you are talking about this below ripoff part

Last edited:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Project update

The board powers on. Turns out its Rev 2.0 so I can always upgrade to a ROME chip when those prices drop.

The good news: It posts fine, displays CPU as an AMD Engineering Sample 32c / 64t. It allows me to select boot device (which it recognizes correctly).... and the bad news..... boot loops.

7551 ES BIOS Screen.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Markfw