Free Energy? Motionless Magnetic Generator

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Draknor

Dec 31, 2001
Indeed - I just find his theory pretty fascinating, that's all :)

I think there is great potential for major, major change with cheap energy such as this, but, as with everything, there comes costs. So, assuming what he theorizes is possible, what would the costs be? We know some of the benefits - far lower usage of oil & other natural fuels = less pollution & environmental destruction, potentially greater world good (less developed countries get cheap power => become more industrialized), etc.

But costs? Well, with cheap (free?) energy, energy efficiency is no longer important. So we'll spend less effort making more efficient appliances & devices. Lower electricity drives down the cost of manufacturing, so we'll have more capacity to build "stuff", which could use up more raw materials, create more pollution & toxic wastes, and increase credit card debt :) Also - more power = more destructive weapons. We could see whole new classes of weapons that are just in development now, but require far too much power to be practical with today's technology. That could be scary.

One final upside - as the cost of power decreases, web-hosting could get even cheaper ;) (Although, for $39.50/year, I'm more than happy with Dixiesys! :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Well one of the costs will be environmental. If it works there will be so many people eating crow that they will be threatened with extinction.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Well one of the costs will be environmental. If it works there will be so many people eating crow that they will be threatened with extinction.

Well, I don't think that many people will be eating crow... We are naturally skeptical when a black box device generates more power than is put in. Such a device is a violation of the first and second law of thermodynamics. Now, if this device draws power from "electromagnetic wind", then its fine by me. However, there has to be some source of energy that is transformed for this device to generate electricity.

Ryan

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Originally posted by: Moonbeam Well one of the costs will be environmental. If it works there will be so many people eating crow that they will be threatened with extinction.
Well, I don't think that many people will be eating crow... We are naturally skeptical when a black box device generates more power than is put in. Such a device is a violation of the first and second law of thermodynamics. Now, if this device draws power from "electromagnetic wind", then its fine by me. However, there has to be some source of energy that is transformed for this device to generate electricity. Ryan

Well I have no idea if something like this can work, but the concept of vacuum energy is a long established principle. Richard Feymann once calculated some fantastic energy for it, and it is far greater than any antimatter/matter reaction.

I cannot understand how this machine could draw on it, and how do we know there IS a patent on it other than it says so on the site?

Edit- Just read the patent abstract- All I see is a bunch of currents chasing magnetic fields inducing currents. So this produces more energy than it consumes? Hmmm.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Okay im not too knowleageable in physics right now(just basically newton's laws of motion and some optics/basic mechanics) but it would seem this device would be geting it's energy from some sort of pool of magnitic energy(earth's magnectif field?) Hmmmm I dont know how much energy the magnictic field is made of but i dont think it's extremely high so massive use of these things could create impossible to determine environmental problems. Also it would basically make thses devices useless in outer space.

Ly2n

Dec 26, 2001
My question is why a "Forever Flashlight only has a one year warranty? Shouldn't it be a little longer? :) Lynn

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Reminds me of the stories that have been floating around forever about perpetual motion machines. I'll believe it when I see it.

I would have to concur....

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ffmcobalt
Uh... woah. That anim of the thing working is pretty cool. :) But, like Happy said, it's not likely, imho. Energy doesn't get created, it just changes from one form to another. Those "power plants" are simply converting energy into a form that we can use. This thing will likely do the same. There has to be *something* that the energy comes from. Lets hope you don't have to plug it in or use batteries to power it ;) :p

nik

The whole idea is to find the most efficient method of converting that energy. As it stands we waste the vast majority of the potential from most of our energy sources. The sun, the wind, water, atomic, even petrolium.

So really the device doesn't neccisarily have to be the "perpetual motion" mythos, but just ultra efficient, and it would be just as ground breaking.

The term "free energy" is rather loosely tossed about here, yes, but that doesn't mean that after an initial burst of energy it wouldn't be capable of producing many times more energy.

Anyway, all probably moot because it probably is crap.
Between this and the supposed "ultra-dense" matter crap I am beginning to wonder why some people think Science is more grounded than believing in God.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Does anyone know how bright the forever flashlight is?
I just might have to try it out.

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
This ocean of energy which permeates everything is sometimes called the "zero point" energy, since it remains there even at absolute zero temperature.

Is that theoretical, or has somebody observed absolute zero temperature conditions? Do you know what else happens at absolute zero temperature? :Q

Anyway, all probably moot because it probably is crap.

That's what I thought when I first saw it. The more I'm looking at it, though, the more it makes sense. You gotta get beyond the first page, though. This link explains it a little better... and it looks halfway decent. I'm impressed.