Free copy of battlefield 4 for anyone who can help me get AMD dual graphics working

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
ok, so to recap.

You can get video from the DGPU.
Setting IGFX to multi Monitor you get video from DGPU, but not IGPU.
set IGFX to single and you get video from DGPU and IGPU.

I

is this correct?

I can get video from which ever I pick in bios as primary. So with dual monitors enabled it outputs video, I see windows boot screen but when its time for windows start/desktop scrren to load it goes to black screen

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Make sure you follow all the steps in my post, and set the bios exactly how i mentioned. Thats how its done so I am 99% sure it will work.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
My plan for tonight is to do a clean install of windows 7 and see if it works. Try and see if 8.1 is the issue

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
My plan for tonight is to do a clean install of windows 7 and see if it works. Try and see if 8.1 is the issue
Its not.
Just follow this.
In the bios.
Set multi monitor to ON
Set Primary to PCIE
Set Integrated graphics to FORCED
boot to windows, make sure you have both drivers installed for both cards.
AMD Vision go to performance, and enable dual GPU.
Done.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Its not.
Just follow this.
In the bios.
Set multi monitor to ON
Set Primary to PCIE
Set Integrated graphics to FORCED
boot to windows, make sure you have both drivers installed for both cards.
AMD Vision go to performance, and enable dual GPU.
Done.

only problem is that i cant get windows to boot with multi monitor on. also, should i connect dvi to motherboard or video card. thank you,

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Have you tried different connectors? Like the monos HDMI and DVI, and then the dGPUs outputs?

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Have you tried different connectors? Like the monos HDMI and DVI, and then the dGPUs outputs?

i have not, i will give the hdmi a shot before installing windows 7. i will probably even try a new win 8.1 install just to get rid of all drivers.

also, how can i check tht drivers are installed for both apu gpu and video card? i assumed the 14.1 catalyst was for both

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
i have not, i will give the hdmi a shot before installing windows 7. i will probably even try a new win 8.1 install just to get rid of all drivers.

also, how can i check tht drivers are installed for both apu gpu and video card? i assumed the 14.1 catalyst was for both

Well, you can disable igp and boot to windows with dgpu only -> install drivers. Then take dgpu out and boot on igpu -> install drivers.

Plug back dgpu,
set dual grapics in bios,
boot,
???
profit

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
oq8t8g.jpg

Under the "Integrated Graphics" option, that shows "Auto".

What are the other options? My two ASUS motherboards will have an option for "SURROUND" and you need to select that option for activating integrated video and discrete video. Auto will disable the integrated video if a discrete card is detected.

So that is my attempt at helping you get this working: in BIOS, set the Integrated Graphics option to "SURROUND" (i.e., *NOT* set to auto).

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Under the "Integrated Graphics" option, that shows "Auto".

What are the other options? My two ASUS motherboards will have an option for "SURROUND" and you need to select that option for activating integrated video and discrete video. Auto will disable the integrated video if a discrete card is detected.

So that is my attempt at helping you get this working: in BIOS, set the Integrated Graphics option to "SURROUND" (i.e., *NOT* set to auto).

the image posted above of the bios is the exact options that i have. no surround option. there is a way to take from auto to force

_UP_

Feb 17, 2013
Not sure this would help, as it is a bit old, but I doubt that much has changed.

Found this in the TPU forum (will link the entire thread later if you want):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975-2.html

This might help you. Seems a pretty messy step to get to AMD Dual graphics.
Hope this helps.

Heres a quote from the link:

By default, Llano wants to be the primary output. So, when you configure your BIOS, set up Windows, and get drivers installed, AMD says use the APU’s outputs. If there’s a discrete card installed, CrossFire gets enabled automatically. At that point you have to install the latest Application Profiles patch, disable CrossFire, shut the system down, and switch over to the discrete outputs. From then on, you won’t see a video signal until Windows loads up. Enable CrossFire, reboot again, and then you should be able to use Dual Graphics. Whew.
Also, found this.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
so im at home now, sons in bed, time to give it another shot.

1) turned on igpx multi monitor.

2) primary device PCI e

3) turned controller on force.

finally got to boot in this mode but CCC shows as this, still no option for dual graphics. have tried both with mobo and video card hooked up to monitor. Note, under performance I still only have the option for cpu. awaiting other ideas.

dZZk5FD.jpg

5Cjx8pW.jpg

Last edited:

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Try older WHQL drivers. This beta driver have its problems.

you sir are a man among men. so simple was your solution that I paid no attention to your post. and had to search for whoever suggested it. I did change to the old WHQL and to my surprise the option appeared. I wish you could've seen my celebration dance in your name. Instead enjoy Battlefield 4. I wish I could give all of you something. but Erenhardt posted exactly what fixed it and offered other suggestions as well.

RTsU0TY.jpg

FVl83Vm.jpg

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Great thread, glad OP got his answer and erenhardt got the game :thumbsup:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
I'm glad I could help.
I'm no expert when it comes to computers. Those are first steps on my list of "troubleshooting problems with my PC" - it is always the drivers!

I hope your setup runs good.
Thank you for the game code! I couldn't afford it and beta ended long time ago leaving me with the taste of the battlefield. It is much welcome now, when Mantle is out and my Phenom II 965 can al least try to keep up with my hd7870 1.2GHz. Thanks again, and sorry for the rest of you guys ;)

Edit: And unstable overclocks obviously (sig ;))

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
I'm glad I could help.
I'm no expert when it comes to computers. Those are first steps on my list of "troubleshooting problems with my PC" - it is always the drivers!

I hope your setup runs good.
Thank you for the game code! I couldn't afford it and beta ended long time ago leaving me with the taste of the battlefield. It is much welcome now, when Mantle is out and my Phenom II 965 can al least try to keep up with my hd7870 1.2GHz. Thanks again, and sorry for the rest of you guys ;)

Edit: And unstable overclocks obviously (sig ;))

although your solution was simple just having you provide all the suggestions and getting me to beilieve that i could fix it was probaly the biggest thing. For some reason i assumed there must have been something major wrong, or that i just didnt know how to turn the feature on. Once it was shown i was trying the right process it came back to basic troublshooting. You called it on the 4th post. I would have given up and returned it without you guys. Thanks to everyone.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Nice turn out :thumbsup: Glad the OP got his solution. :)

_UP_

Feb 17, 2013
Congrats to Erenhardt.
@OP, you should probably report the bug to AMD. That is the point of having the beta drivers out there.
This is the link to the form.