Free copy of battlefield 4 for anyone who can help me get AMD dual graphics working

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
***this has been solved***
Try older WHQL drivers. This beta driver have its problems.

you sir are a man among men. so simple was your solution that I paid no attention to your post. and had to search for whoever suggested it. I did change to the old WHQL and to my surprise the option appeared. I wish you could've seen my celebration dance in your name. Instead enjoy Battlefield 4. I wish I could give all of you something. but Erenhardt posted exactly what fixed it and offered other suggestions as well.

RTsU0TY.jpg

FVl83Vm.jpg

so i recently purchased an A10-7850k AMD APU and an r7 250 graphics card, and i spent over 2hrs trying to get dual graphics to work to no avail.

So i'm comming to you for help, with the promise of a free gift! I already own Battlefield 4 on both the ps3 and ps4, and got this for free with the 7850k. All you have to do is be the person who gives me the steps that makes it work and its yours to sale, trade, or do nothing with except to use as proof of your genius. This will be a digital code.

my specs:

A10 - 7850K amd APU
R7 250 2gb gddr
8gb 2133 gskill ram
ASUS A78M-A FM2+ motherboard
120gb ssd hd (havn't bothered to install my 1tb hd)
Windows 8.1 Pro, this is a genuine (non pirate) copy if that matters at all
amd catalyst 14.1

Extra info: this is my first APU and i have no idea what i am doing.

What i have tried:

1)assembled computer with all parts, connected monitor to video card. booted up and installed drivers. went to catalyst control center. Under performance there is no crossfire or dual graphics option. I only have an option to overclock the video card gpu.

2) went into bios, changed primary video device to Intergrated graphics. Connected monitor to motherboard dvi out. went to catalyst control center. only option under performance is CPU. nothing for a gpu, no crossfire, no dual graphics.

3) went to bios, changed option from IGX auto to forced. rebooted, in catalyst control center only option is cpu.

4) went to bios, noticed bios info stated must have IGPx dual monitor option to on in order to use amd dual graphics. I thought i had it, shit got real. set to on, reboot. see windows 8 logo. then Black screen. its not blank. video is being output. just black screen. hmmmm

5) change primary video out to PCI E. reboot with IGPX dual monitor option still on. connect monitor to video card. see windows logo..... then the black. screen. of. death.

at this point i had been at it for 2hrs and began taking my anger out on the little NewEGG bubble packing materials. they felt my wrath.

at this point i am at a loss. I am at work right now, but if you are willing to help i would be greatful. Greatful enough to PM you the digital code for battlefield 4.

dZZk5FD.jpg

5Cjx8pW.jpg

51MB8kr.jpg

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Not to be a party pooper, but you may want to read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583-10.html
Yes, Fraps is telling us that the average frame rates are notably higher. However, this very conundrum was what inspired FCAT in the first place. If the software is counting every dropped and runt frame toward Dual Graphics' average frame rate, then you're getting absolutely no benefit from pieces of frames like the one pictured that are artificially inflating performance.

Things may actually be worse with crossfire working in that situation.

Erazor51

Jun 25, 2008
so i recently purchased an A10-7850k AMD APU and an r7 250 graphics card, and i spent over 2hrs trying to get dual graphics to work to no avail.

So i'm comming to you for help, with the promise of a free gift! I already own Battlefield 4 on both the ps3 and ps4, and got this for free with the 7850k. All you have to do is be the person who gives me the steps that makes it work and its yours to sale, trade, or do nothing with except to use as proof of your genius. This will be a digital code.

my specs:

A10 - 7850K amd APU
R7 250 2gb gddr
8gb 2133 gskill ram
ASUS A78M-A FM2+ motherboard
120gb ssd hd (havn't bothered to install my 1tb hd)
Windows 8.1 Pro, this is a genuine (non pirate) copy if that matters at all
amd catalyst 14.1

Extra info: this is my first APU and i have no idea what i am doing.

What i have tried:

1)assembled computer with all parts, connected monitor to video card. booted up and installed drivers. went to catalyst control center. Under performance there is no crossfire or dual graphics option. I only have an option to overclock the video card gpu.

2) went into bios, changed primary video device to Intergrated graphics. Connected monitor to motherboard dvi out. went to catalyst control center. only option under performance is CPU. nothing for a gpu, no crossfire, no dual graphics.

3) went to bios, changed option from IGX auto to forced. rebooted, in catalyst control center only option is cpu.

4) went to bios, noticed bios info stated must have IGPx dual monitor option to on in order to use amd dual graphics. I thought i had it, shit got real. set to on, reboot. see windows 8 logo. then Black screen. its not blank. video is being output. just black screen. hmmmm

5) change primary video out to PCI E. reboot with IGPX dual monitor option still on. connect monitor to video card. see windows logo..... then the black. screen. of. death.

at this point i had been at it for 2hrs and began taking my anger out on the little NewEGG bubble packing materials. they felt my wrath.

at this point i am at a loss. I am at work right now, but if you are willing to help i would be greatful. Greatful enough to PM you the digital code for battlefield 4.

Sent a PM

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
that is from august, check toms review of the 7850k. its much better now. also, this doesn't help me.
Sorry, I had not read the most recent one. I was only trying to help by telling you to not use crossfire with an APU. It seems they fixed it with the 7850k, so it is irrelevant.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Is your R7-250 DDR3 or DDR5? I have seen some people say only DDR3 works, and some say either works. Not sure which is true.

This is for Llano, but its worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrEkqyREQes

EDIT: Big thing out of this is to set "Init Display First" set to onboard.

Last edited:

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Sorry, I had not read the most recent one. I was only trying to help by telling you to not use crossfire with an APU. It seems they fixed it with the 7850k, so it is irrelevant.

no problem, i had already seen that link. I'm really interested in the idea of an APU even though there are faster options out there

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Did you set the frame buffer size of your onboard IGP to match the Vram size of your discrete card?
Ei. to 2GB ?

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Is your R7-250 DDR3 or DDR5? I have seen some people say only DDR3 works, and some say either works. Not sure which is true.

This is for Llano, but its worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrEkqyREQes

EDIT: Big thing out of this is to set "Init Display First" set to onboard.

my bios does not have this option. closest is primary video display option. i tried changing to IGPX but this didnt work. windows loads to black screen if i turn dual monitor mode on, which bios claims is required for dual graphics.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Not to be a party pooper, but you may want to read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583-10.html

Things may actually be worse with crossfire working in that situation.

^ that is with a AMD A10-6800K (Richland).The A10 - 7850K is differnt.

Tomshardware actually has a Guide testing dual graphics for the Kavari APUs and there they found what was broken in the A10-6800k (richland) now works well enough with the Kavari's.

Here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-7850k-a8-7600-kaveri,3725-8.html

"Dual graphics: Does Kavari fix Crossfire's problems":

TombRaider-FR.png

TombRaider-FTV.png

TombRaider-FTV-OT.png

In short it works now.

Last edited:

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Try older WHQL drivers. This beta driver have its problems.

i actually did try installing an older non beta version but did not uninstall 14.1 beforehand so i cant definatly state that i have fully tested this option.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Set r7 250 as primary graphics in bios and plug monitor cable into it.

this is the default setting when i originally booted the computer. under performance it lists the gpu overclocking options but no dual graphics or crossfire.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Im assuming the motherboard has a hdmi out.

Did you try plugging in the video cable into the motherboard out instead of the video card out?

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
set igfx multi monitor to enabled.
It should look like this:
oq8t8g.jpg

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Set the IGFX to multi monitor, then try switching the video cable from the gpu to the igpu.

Are you using HDMI, DVI, VGA?

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
Use the video connection in the motheboard to activate(Plug the cable in the onbard exit).

Wait for the next WHQL driver to have frame pacing activated in crossfire mode.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Set the IGFX to multi monitor, then try switching the video cable from the gpu to the igpu.

Are you using HDMI, DVI, VGA?
I am using dvi. Also, I trield dual monitor and connected to motherboard and video card through dvi got tje same black screen

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
ok, so to recap.

You can get video from the DGPU.
Setting IGFX to multi Monitor you get video from DGPU, but not IGPU.
set IGFX to single and you get video from DGPU and IGPU.

is this correct?

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
This may seem stupid but try plugging two cables from your display:
1 to gpu
1 to motherboard

I had weird crossing from igpu through dgpu to display and dgpu through igpu to display when tried using both - one for mining and the other for diplay