Free Amazon Cloud Online 5GB Storage Drive

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Handy how you can use it to easily backup MP3 purchases. That's always been one thing I didn't like about their music service, no easy way to re-download albums you've purchased if something catastrophic happens and all your local copies are lost. It's a good promotion to get people started with off-site backups.

edit: Apparently Amazon MP3 purchases don't even count toward your storage limit. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Is it only for MP3 storage?

well I guess sit was quick to find out.
Amazon Cloud Drive is your hard drive in the cloud. Store your music, videos, photos, and documents on Amazon's secure servers. All you need is a web browser to upload, download, and access your files from any computer

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Yeah looks like you can use it for anything, they just seem to be promoting it along with their MP3 service. You can automatically store music you bought to the cloud drive, the web interface has a built in player for streaming music, etc.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
In for the 5GB. I figure after a year I would forget to cancel if I'd gone with the 20GB one.

Nov 7, 2000
their music player is nice too. needs some functionality, but lets you stream to any comp or android device with app. good for me at work.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
In for the 5GB. I figure after a year I would forget to cancel if I'd gone with the 20GB one.

I read it that it's not an auto-renew thing, it will just drop back to a 5GB if you don't manually renew it.

Of course there is a slight possibility that it may delete a bunch a files in the process. :|

The_Dude8

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2000
I wonder can you store your pron on there, or any wikileak documents in amazon's cloud. will amazon report you to the FBI. lol.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Amazon has no reason to monitor user's storage for anything illegal and turn them in, is a waste of their time and money. I doubt anything people store on their servers is encrypted, though, so if a court ordered them to provide access to a user's storage as part of an investigation I'm sure they could easily comply. If privacy is a concern I'm sure there are much better online backup solutions out there.

Anyway, been using the cloud player some and it's not bad. Steaming quality seems pretty low, though, anyone know what bitrate they use? It seems really low, like 32kbps or something. Would be perfect if they maybe bumped the quality up a bit.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
So what's the difference between this and Amazon S3? This wouldn't be used as a backup storage area, correct? Also, you don't get charged for bandwidth with the cloud drive, but S3 you do?

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Sounds great until the RIAA subpoenas them for the digital content in your account and comes asking for receipts.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
There's a glee album that costs .69 which you can purchase to get the free 1 year upgrade to 20 GB of storage.

Edit: Oops. Op gave a good link with a bunch of albums for .69 cents. Might as well pick one from there.