France may ban religious symbols in public institutions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: boran
I find that the immigrants themselves as well as visitors/tourists disagree with you. It's a common perception.

I know this might be hard to proove, but can you at least try, because right now I'm rather not inclined to believe you, I'll talk bout it on school tomorro with my foreign buddies, and ask em how they think about the subject.

and tourists, man, that wont be in belgium, you're treated like a king ;)

I cant speak on behalf of europe tho, and I dunno squat bout how it's goin' on in france, germany et all.

I'm talking about what I've experienced myself, friends, family, etc. When people come to the US they're shocked at how different they're treated here - different in a good way. The environments are just completely different. People say to be thankful that you're in the US or Canada because in most other places you're treated like a third-rate citizen.

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
well, you ever been to belgium ? if so pls share yer bad opinions ;)
I'm gonna let this subject rest cous we're a bit deviating of the topic and it's highly subjective anyways.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: boran
well, you ever been to belgium ? if so pls share yer bad opinions ;)
I'm gonna let this subject rest cous we're a bit deviating of the topic and it's highly subjective anyways.

Nah, I've never been to Belgium. You did talk about the Netherlands though... yeah, not a good experience with those people. But again, it was pretty limited.

I only meant that post as a joke, too. I guess I forgot to put a smily there.

I don't think Europe is some sort of horribly racist place or anything, but they just don't accept others as easily. I guess they're just a bit more xenophobic, but I'm taking first-world Europe as a whole, not each country individually. I only bring it up here on this board because a ton of Europeans think they're some sort of morally superior people when nobody is morally superior to another.

My own friends and family (who have been over much more than me) say it's a nice place to visit, horrible place to live. Everything they said about France was great though, even though some Americans here complain about them.

Feb 3, 2001
Oh, regarding the "Melting Pot" comment above, let me just say that America was *never* a melting pot. That implies that you toss in whatever and it all gets equally lost in the grey of it. America's more like...a mosaic, with a lot of different colors and shapes and textures that touch each other in an endlessly complex array of different ways. It's actually quite cool, if you think about it, and it enriches us all to have the best parts of many different cultures and creeds while throwing away stupid ideas like blowing each other up for seeing God and religion differently ;)

Jason

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
12-17-2003 Secularism is one of the great successes of the Republic - Chirac

French President Jacques Chirac asked parliament on Wednesday for a law banning Islamic head scarves and other religious insignia such Jewish skullcaps and large crucifixes.

Adoption of a law seemed likely, as lawmakers from both sides of the political spectrum have voiced support for a law on secularism.

"Secularism is one of the great successes of the Republic," Chirac said in an address to the nation. "It is a crucial element of social peace and national cohesion. We cannot let it weaken."

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
I'm surprised the French Bashing Corps haven't picked up this one yet.

My Fradar--French Radar--was under repair and I didn't see the blimp until just now...I feel sorry for Arabs/Jews/et al...talking about no crosses and the like in hospitals, too...

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
sounds reasonable, as it is schools require uniforms and don't allow gang symbols and other assorted things. your there to learn, not to display your faith. when theres a majority of faithful and you don't follow their dress, the pressure is immense. head scarves etc just serve to divide the "saved" from the impure:p

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I was divided abut this issue until i heard a excellent debate about it this morning on talk rado.

I now agree with this movement to ban the wearing of any religious artifact in school, employment... Not to long ago the Muslims wanted to add muslim holidays into the school sytems. Chirac said NO. The Muslims also demands that anybody in their country comform to their laws. US service women have to dress in the garb of tradition while stationed in the Saudi if they go off base. I do not see a problem with France wanting to crush any foothold of any religion wanting power within thier government.

the law will also stop the stupid muslim practice that no male doctor can treat a woman. There has been a big problem where male doctors had to leave the room because the woman was Muslim. The law will now put the doctor on the side of the female patient.

I find it funny how muslim countries force thier beliefs on non muslims visiting or living in their country. but when it is done to them when they move or live in a non muslim country its an outrage....
rolleye.gif

France has its own culture and i see no problem with them trying to preserve it.