France church attack: Priest killed. Terrorists suspected.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I wasn't out in the streets like a fuckhead blocking other people from going about their business, while pretending to.

No, I'm pretty sure they cared about the things I outlined. Evidently you can't even bother to give a flying shit about those.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
No, I'm pretty sure they cared about the things I outlined.
LOL yeah right. I'm sure your out protesting OBAMA's WAR! or whatever every single day. NO YOU FUCKING aren't. Neither are any of the other fuckheads that didn't give two shits other than something to rant at an 'R' over.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
LOL yeah right. I'm sure your out protesting OBAMA's WAR! or whatever every single day. NO YOU FUCKING aren't. Neither are any of the other fuckheads that didn't give two shits other than something to rant at an 'R' over.

Not sure why I'm supposed to be anything like you given only one of us pretends to care for political points.

I'd encourage you to continue mocking yourself but I don't want newbs at this taking my job.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I hope Brexit sends a message to the rest of Europe about its dangerous and backwards social policies.

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I like Angela Merkel too. Great leader, IMO.

emote_yahoolaughing.gif

Woo, good one senseamp. That was a zinger.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
A MUSLIM COMMUNITY in France has refused to bury a teenager who killed a Catholic priest earlier this week.

http://www.thejournal.ie/priest-killing-france-mosque-refuses-burial-2903452-Jul2016/

france-hostage-taking-11-390x285.jpg

Adel Kermiche was killed by police in Tuesday’s attack in the town of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, which claimed the life of 86-year-old priest Jacques Hamel, along with Abdel Malik Petitjean, also 19.
Kermiche was awaiting trial on terror charges and had been fitted with an electronic tag despite calls from the prosecutor for him not to be released.

Community leaders in the town told Le Parisien they did not want to “taint” Islam by assisting with the burial.
“We will not sully Islam with that person,” said the head of the mosque in the city, Mohammed Karabila.

Local Muslims supported the decision, the paper reported.
Local man Khalid El Amrani is quoted as saying the decision is “normal”.
Petitjean was born to a family of Algerian origin and lived in the quiet lakeside town of Aix-les-Bains in the shadow of the Alps, popular with visitors seeking thermal cures.
Djamel Tazghat, who manages the local mosque in the Aix-les-Bains suburb where Petitjean lived in social housing, said he recognised the young man in a video published by the Islamic State group in which the two pledged allegiance to the jihadist movement.
His adoptive father told reporters the incident had “broken” him.
He said that Islamic State, which has claimed credit for the attack, “brainwashed him”.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
BUT ..... BUT ..... BUT ..... BUT ..... ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS ..... ..... SNIFF .....

caps

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
A MUSLIM COMMUNITY in France has refused to bury a teenager who killed a Catholic priest earlier this week.

http://www.thejournal.ie/priest-killing-france-mosque-refuses-burial-2903452-Jul2016/

Adel Kermiche was killed by police in Tuesday’s attack in the town of Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, which claimed the life of 86-year-old priest Jacques Hamel, along with Abdel Malik Petitjean, also 19.
Kermiche was awaiting trial on terror charges and had been fitted with an electronic tag despite calls from the prosecutor for him not to be released.

Community leaders in the town told Le Parisien they did not want to “taint” Islam by assisting with the burial.
“We will not sully Islam with that person,” said the head of the mosque in the city, Mohammed Karabila.

Petitjean was born to a family of Algerian origin and lived in the quiet lakeside town of Aix-les-Bains in the shadow of the Alps, popular with visitors seeking thermal cures.
Djamel Tazghat, who manages the local mosque in the Aix-les-Bains suburb where Petitjean lived in social housing, said he recognised the young man in a video published by the Islamic State group in which the two pledged allegiance to the jihadist movement.
He said that Islamic State, which has claimed credit for the attack, “brainwashed him”.

Thanks for that post. It is educational. I'm glad that they took that action in some respects, although I'm sorry to hear that someone was not buried in the right way, even if they are a terrible terrorist.
Respect for the dead, or whatever the mechanism is.

But anyway, overall I like the principle that they can see that the terrorists were doing terrible things, and that they don't want anything to do with them.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Assuming I even live that long, I wonder if I would still be able to work at a job I love at 86 years old. God bless Father Hamel, who became a martyr for Jesus on that day.

Thank goodness that local leaders also acknowledge the heinous crime committed and chose to speak out against it. Hopefully that sends a message to future jihadists in France that violence against non Muslims will no longer be tolerated.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I sort of agree and sort of disagree. We must convince Muslims that their religion is bullshit, just like any other religion. Once they have freed their mind, well..... the sky is the limit.

And NO, I don't think we bomb and kill our way to successful integration.

Bombing the shit out of Germany & Japan turned them into peaceful nations in under a decade.

As to your plan, you are an arrogant fool. The Islamic faith has been around for 1,500 years. How successful do you realistically think you with be with a plan that consists of sitting on your ass lecturing others about how stupid you believe they are?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's funny to compare the reactions to this by the morally upright status quo warriors to the reaction they got behind after the Charleston murders by another terrorist named Dylan Roof.

My how things change when an attacker isn't white or a christian.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
It's funny to compare the reactions to this by the morally upright status quo warriors to the reaction they got behind after the Charleston murders by another terrorist named Dylan Roof.

My how things change when an attacker isn't white or a christian.

Equivalency not found.

Dylan Roof was a racist and a nutjob, but was not acting in the name of Jesus or his church.

Suspected motivation
According to a childhood friend, Roof went on a rant about the shooting of Trayvon Martin and the 2015 Baltimore protests that were sparked by the death of Freddie Gray while Gray was in police custody.[21] He also often claimed that "blacks were taking over the world".[29] Roof reportedly told friends and neighbors of his plans to kill people, including a plot to attack the College of Charleston, but his claims were not taken seriously.[11][15]
One image from his Facebook page showed him wearing a jacket decorated with two obsolete flags used as emblems among American white supremacist movements, those of Rhodesia (present-day Zimbabwe) and apartheid-era South Africa.[30][31][32] Another online photo showed Roof sitting on the hood of his car with an ornamental license plate with a Confederate flag on it.[33] According to his roommate, Roof expressed his support of racial segregation in the United States and had intended to start a civil war.[34]
One of the friends who briefly hid Roof's gun away from him said, "I don't think the church was his primary target because he told us he was going for the school. But I think he couldn't get into the school because of the security ... so I think he just settled for the church."[35][36] An African-American friend of his said that he never witnessed Roof expressing any racial prejudice, but also said that a week before the shooting, Roof had confided inn him that he would commit a shooting at the college.[37]

So thousands of acts of muslim violence in the name of mo is excused, but a white guy does something (making him automatically Christian to you) and the focus should be on there as "equivalent" or worse.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
But Roof was acting in the name of white supremacy, which isn't any different from Islamic supremacy.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
But Roof was acting in the name of white supremacy, which isn't any different from Islamic supremacy.

sVLvnmz.png

Right on target, so many people act like this religion or that religion or this culture or that culture is responsible for shit, when individuals will make anything so.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

There are of course big differences we could go into, but the common reality is that Roof and the priests murderers both feel they are entitled to use lethal violence to settle cultural scores.

What is (well, not really) surprising to me is how quick the right wing in American politics was in trying to portray the Charleston tragedy as not racially motivated - despite the shooter proclaiming exactly that - and instead a physical assault on places of worship. 'War on christianity' and all that nonsense.

Skip to today, and look how many of these onward christian warrior types are perfectly happy to acknowledge and discuss the violent agenda and goals of the two who killed the priest. The fear of gun control and the reluctance to admit there is a problem with racism on the right isn't a factor with a crime committed in France though, therefore no re-framing of the event is required. It's a sad comment on the intellectual honesty we see from a large swath of American conservatives.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Bombing the shit out of Germany & Japan turned them into peaceful nations in under a decade.

Maybe the jihadis believe that bombing the shit out of the US/France or whatever will have the same effect.

As to your plan, you are an arrogant fool. The Islamic faith has been around for 1,500 years. How successful do you realistically think you with be with a plan that consists of sitting on your ass lecturing others about how stupid you believe they are?

I dunno about 1500 years, but I've had some success with people who've been stupid all their life.