FoxConn to Move to Wisconsin

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Trying to compete with foreign labor markets is a race to the bottom. I don’t agree with the idea of tariffs either though. Economics isn’t a zero sum game, but when the only jobs left are burger flippers what then.

United States productivity remains high. It is not that our nation lost value, it's that our workers do not get to share that value through employment.

The solution to the growing dissolution of the Employer -> Worker - > Consumer model is to replace the Worker aspect with Basic Income.

Reactions: dank69

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Well color me impressed then. I can't remember the last time I've seen (outside of a car show) a seventies era domestic econobox like the Vega, Pinto or the very worst of them all by far, the Gremlin.

PS-your friend is very, very eccentric.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
OMG.

Republicans found a new fall-guy for this failing boondoggle...incoming governor Tony Evers! Blame the Democrat for giving Foxconn cold feet!!!

Some random Japanese business rag cited 3 unnamed sources saying Evers tried to renegotiate, hence FoxConn is walking away. How much you wanna bet Walker, Duffy or their cronies were the unnamed sources???

Unfortunately, I gather there are enough Wisconsinites stupid enough to fall for this.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...try-blame-democratic-governor-debacle-n965556
---

"The attempt by a Republican who championed the controversial project to shift the onus to Wisconsin’s newly-elected Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, gained steam after a Japan-based news organization reported that the Taiwanese tech giant got cold feet after Evers tried to renegotiate the deal. The Nikkei Asian Review cited three unnamed sources.

The first shot was fired by GOP Rep. Sean Duffy of Wisconsin during an appearance on the Fox News business show hosted by Maria Bartiromo. “Foxconn is under attack in our state because of our new governor,” Duffy declared.

“Wow, so you blame the new governor,” an apparently taken-aback Bartiromo replied.
Indeed Duffy did. He stressed that Foxconn had not yet abandoned the project in Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin, that received $4 billion in tax breaks secured by former Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, and touted by President Donald Trump as a manufacturing job-maker.

“So, again this is still up in the air for us but if you are Foxconn you have to consider the politics of our state and what’s changed in the last, you know, two months,” said Duffy.
Bartiromo questioned Duffy about Foxconn a day after a top company official pulled the rug out from under Trump and Walker by announcing to Reuters that it is rethinking plans for a factory employing 13,000 blue-collar workers.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Well, no wit looks like after a call with Trump, the plan is back on?
While I hope that's true for Wisconsin's sake, I don't quite understand how a company as large as Foxcon makes (another) 180* about-face on a long term investment as large as this plant is after a single phone call.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
While I hope that's true for Wisconsin's sake, I don't quite understand how a company as large as Foxcon makes (another) 180* about-face on a long term investment as large as this plant is after a single phone call.

Nothing can change the economics. They agreed to tell him a lie that he can parrot.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
OMG.

Republicans found a new fall-guy for this failing boondoggle...incoming governor Tony Evers! Blame the Democrat for giving Foxconn cold feet!!!

Some random Japanese business rag cited 3 unnamed sources saying Evers tried to renegotiate, hence FoxConn is walking away. How much you wanna bet Walker, Duffy or their cronies were the unnamed sources???

Unfortunately, I gather there are enough Wisconsinites stupid enough to fall for this.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...try-blame-democratic-governor-debacle-n965556
---

"The attempt by a Republican who championed the controversial project to shift the onus to Wisconsin’s newly-elected Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, gained steam after a Japan-based news organization reported that the Taiwanese tech giant got cold feet after Evers tried to renegotiate the deal. The Nikkei Asian Review cited three unnamed sources.

The first shot was fired by GOP Rep. Sean Duffy of Wisconsin during an appearance on the Fox News business show hosted by Maria Bartiromo. “Foxconn is under attack in our state because of our new governor,” Duffy declared.

“Wow, so you blame the new governor,” an apparently taken-aback Bartiromo replied.
Indeed Duffy did. He stressed that Foxconn had not yet abandoned the project in Mt. Pleasant, Wisconsin, that received $4 billion in tax breaks secured by former Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, and touted by President Donald Trump as a manufacturing job-maker.

“So, again this is still up in the air for us but if you are Foxconn you have to consider the politics of our state and what’s changed in the last, you know, two months,” said Duffy.
Bartiromo questioned Duffy about Foxconn a day after a top company official pulled the rug out from under Trump and Walker by announcing to Reuters that it is rethinking plans for a factory employing 13,000 blue-collar workers.

That's so precious that I'm sure Trumpsters will buy it. They're predisposed to such things after absorbing decades of right wing disinformation & agitpprop.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
remember N.Korea and them giving up their Nukes with 1 meeting from the orange chimp.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
https://theweek.com/articles/754007/are-corporate-tax-incentives-worth

"Last year, Wisconsin pledged $3 billion in incentives to electronics manufacturer Foxconn to build a plant in Racine County that the company says will eventually employ 13,000 workers. But according to Wisconsin's own estimates, the cost to taxpayers per job created is $230,700, and the state won't recoup its investment until 2043." :eek:

hm.. has Foxconn received any of the incentives yet?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
do companies that receive city/state incentives pay Federal taxes on those incentives?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Foxconn "deal" is just a slush fund that feeds China money to Walker, Ryan, and Trump. That's it. Nothing will be built. Nothing will happen, but these assholes stand to become far wealthier, for the promise of pro-China policies.

No one is surprised about Paul Ryan "quitting politics" at such a young age, are they? This is just part of his life-long con to shovel the wealth of the middle and lower classes to his pockets and those of the lifelong entitled inheritance class of the 0.1% ...all based on some fantasy version of conservatism that he cocked up in his own manifesto.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The dearth of jobs to Wisconsin from this fantastic deal for Foxconn at least shows why Dems who opposed Amazon getting generous tax cuts to move an HQ there were in fact correct to do so.

If New York acquiesced to Amazon they'd be "Wisconsin wondering where all those fabulous Foxconn Jobs are" version 2.0 after a few years.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Is it true that all family members of those slain during the Bowling Green massacre have been offer jobs at this Wisconsin factory?

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
WSJ has a good update/summary of what's going on currently with this deal (behind paywall but avail on msn)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ory-then-retreated/ar-AAAHLQS?ocid=spartanntp

I didn't realize that the town had to front all money to acquire the land, not Foxconn. Now the town's credit rating just got downgraded "over its debt for the project. Moody’s in January said Foxconn’s anemic hiring was a negative sign for the village, noting Foxconn has been lowering expectations for hiring and making “continual changes in the scope of the project.” " Sure, they'll eventually get their money back, by 2047! Nothing like 30 year interest free loans.

I wonder how upset IL is that they haven't been able to get their citizen's hired yet and have WI foot the bill for it?

Reactions: Jimzz

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Wisconsin is truly a tragic case of conservative propaganda destroying a state. It had the education system, infrastructure, and potential to be one of the greats but threw it away chasing trickle down.

Reactions: heymrdj and Jimzz
Jan 25, 2011
If only someone could have predicted this would happen. If only Foxconn had shown that they will do this over and over again...

*Goes back to read page one...

Oh... riiiiiiight. We all did.

Last edited:
Reactions: heymrdj and Jimzz

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wonder how upset IL is that they haven't been able to get their citizen's hired yet and have WI foot the bill for it?

We still think it's hysterical that WI fell for this in the first place.

Also saw that Scott Walker/Trump are managing to obliterate the WI dairy industry also. All the best deals people.