Fox sues Franken over 'fair and balanced'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Hey folks, looks like Fox has dropped the "Fair and Balanced" from their screen graphics, anyone seen that the last few days?

The amazing power of public feedback.

foxnews.com now seems to be back to we report you decide, or has it always been like that?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Hey folks, looks like Fox has dropped the "Fair and Balanced" from their screen graphics, anyone seen that the last few days?

From the little I saw the other day - every Fox anchor was still saying it.

History: I don't have cable, I don't watch much TV - I was away on an install for a couple days and the hotel had cable. I was switching between PMSNBC and FNC. Heck even Colmes sputed the slogan - guess he isn't a "real" liberal if he spout it
rolleye.gif

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

History: I don't have cable, I don't watch much TV - I was away on an install for a couple days and the hotel had cable. I was switching between PMSNBC and FNC. Heck even Colmes sputed the slogan - guess he isn't a "real" liberal if he spout it
rolleye.gif

CkG

If they say it enough, does that make it true?
rolleye.gif

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

rolleye.gif

CkG

rolleye.gif

No genius - it was in response to people thinking they were dropping it as a slogan. Get a clue
rolleye.gif

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

rolleye.gif

CkG

rolleye.gif

No genius - it was in response to people thinking they were dropping it as a slogan. Get a clue
rolleye.gif

CkG

Right smart guy, just like it was in response to people thinking Fox is really fair and balanced. :D

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

rolleye.gif

CkG

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

CkG

Right smart guy, just like it was in response to people thinking Fox is really fair and balanced. :D

DM - You quoted me - and I in no way said that Fox was fair and balanced. Infact I was trying to help "your" cause by suggesting that Colmes was just a puppet liberal.:D Fox isn't unbiased - and neither are any other stations. PMSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, and etc are maybe a bit more mild but they all lean left. They all have their token "opposition from within" to make themselves appear less biased but it is hogwash. They all have an agenda - open your eyes.

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

rolleye.gif

CkG

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

CkG

DM - You quoted me - and I in no way said that Fox was fair and balanced. Infact I was trying to help "your" cause by suggesting that Colmes was just a puppet liberal.:D Fox isn't unbiased - and neither are any other stations. PMSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, and etc are maybe a bit more mild but they all lean left. They all have their token "opposition from within" to make themselves appear less biased but it is hogwash. They all have an agenda - open your eyes.

CkG

Okay, okay, settle down. I think I can explain this: I said "If they say it enough, does that make it true?" - which was really a dig at Fox, NOT you. I implied that if Fox keeps repeating it like a parrot, maybe everyone will believe it. You replied, "No genius - it was in response to people thinking they were dropping it as a slogan. Get a clue" Which was kinda mean ;) but OK, you thought I was attacking you, but I wasn't. So then I kinda shot back with, "Right smart guy, just like it was in response to people thinking Fox is really fair and balanced." And then you explained, and I explained, and she told two friends, and so on.

So anyhow, sorry for the confusion. Truce? :D

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

rolleye.gif

CkG

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

CkG

CkG

Okay, okay, settle down. I think I can explain this: I said "If they say it enough, does that make it true?" - which was really a dig at Fox, NOT you. I implied that if Fox keeps repeating it like a parrot, maybe everyone will believe it. You replied, "No genius - it was in response to people thinking they were dropping it as a slogan. Get a clue" Which was kinda mean ;) but OK, you thought I was attacking you, but I wasn't. So then I kinda shot back with, "Right smart guy, just like it was in response to people thinking Fox is really fair and balanced." And then you explained, and I explained, and she told two friends, and so on.

So anyhow, sorry for the confusion. Truce? :D

My original statement wasn't to say or prove that Fox was "fair and balanced" - I was just pointing out that it was still being used since it was questioned as to wether or not they were backing away from it. I don't care what you say about me and I didn't think you were "attacking" me - you just missed the meaning of my post.

CkG

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
"Fox Loses Bid to Stop Sale of Franken Book"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=3&u=/nm/20030822/ts_nm/media_fox_dc_9

"Fox Loses Bid to Stop Sale of Franken Book
1 hour, 13 minutes ago

By Gail Appleson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Friday slammed Fox News' trademark infringement lawsuit against Al Franken and his publisher Penguin Group and refused to stop the sale of the liberal satirist's new book that pokes fun at the network and host Bill O'Reilly.

Fox charged that Franken had violated its trademarked phrase "fair and balanced" by including it on the cover of his book entitled "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them." Fox is owned by News Corp. and Penguin is a unit of Pearson . The book went on sale on Thursday.

"There are hard cases and there are easy cases. This is an easy case," said U.S. District Judge Denny Chin. "This case is wholly without merit both factually and legally."

"Parody is a form of artistic expression protected by the First Amendment. The keystone to parody is imitation. Mr. Franken is clearly mocking Fox," said Chin.

The judge said he thought it ironic that a media company that should be fighting to protect free speech would seek to undermine the First Amendment. He also said he thought the "fair and balanced" trademark is weak because the phrase is used so often.

Although the judge refused to grant an injunction that could have stopped further books sales, he did not end the case. Fox could choose to pursue litigation while Penguin could file a motion asking that the case be dismissed. Both sides said they are considering their options.

"We don't care if it's Al Franken or Al Lewis or Weird Al Yankovic. We're here to protect our trademark and our talent," said Paul Schur, a Fox spokesman, after the hearing.

Fox argued in its suit that the cover's tag line, "A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," was used to confuse consumers.

During arguments held before his ruling, Chin asked Fox lawyer Dorie Hansworth if she really believed that the cover was confusing.

"To me, it's quite ambiguous as to what the message is," she said. "It's a deadly serious cover ... This is much too subtle to be considered a parody."

Floyd Abrams, a lawyer representing Penguin and Franken, strongly disagreed.

"There is no way that any person not completely dense would be confused by this cover to think that Fox was accusing O'Reilly of being a liar," he said.

Chin, siding with Abrams, pointed out that the word "Lies" in the title is printed in large red letters next to a photo of O'Reilly. He said that there was no likelihood that book buyers would think that the sponsor is Fox or O'Reilly.

"We are talking about relatively sophisticated consumers here," he said of those who would be buying Franken's book.

Chin also said that there was no evidence of bad faith by Franken to mislead consumers into thinking he works for Fox.

"There is no intent by Franken to palm himself off as a Fox commentator," he said.

Franken, who won four Emmy awards for his work on "Saturday Night Live," is the author of four previous books, including the recent best seller, "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot."

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I pretty much predicted this. In your face, you conservative wankers!!! ;)
"There are hard cases and there are easy cases. This is an easy case," said U.S. District Judge Denny Chin. "This case is wholly without merit both factually and legally."

"Parody is a form of artistic expression protected by the First Amendment. The keystone to parody is imitation. Mr. Franken is clearly mocking Fox," said Chin.

The judge said he thought it ironic that a media company that should be fighting to protect free speech would seek to undermine the First Amendment. He also said he thought the "fair and balanced" trademark is weak because the phrase is used so often.
/edit: I'm surprised the judge didn't also lambast Fox for using a trademark that so little resembles them. :p

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
lawyers suck... they are squeezing the life blood out of this country for their own financial gain. like the man says, what do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? ... a good start!!!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Some lawyers, some politicians, some doctors, and most media moguls sux great big donkey balls. Our country would be a cesspool without good laws. Many of those good laws were written by good lawyers that have helped make our country strong.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
PMSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, and etc are maybe a bit more mild but they all lean left.

Sounds like BS to me. Do you have any proof other than just your opinion?
Bleep

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I never knew that Roger Ailes was the guiding force behind Fox News. No wonder it is so openly biased towards the right just like CNN with Ted Turner in Charge is biased towards the left. Of course from what I've read aboutr Roger Ailes I can believe that he took Franken's title as a personal insult and lost his composure and insisted that they go after Franken and Penguin(Franken's publisher).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Hehe, they are "returning him to the obscurity he is accustomed to" ROFL
Hehe, a parting insult to save face. What is Fox News?