brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Reactions: BUTCH1 and hal2kilo

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Laura Ingraham Targets Legal Immigrants

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laura-ingraham-immigration-rant_us_5b6bbfd7e4b0bdd0620646fa

Seems like Fox is the white nationalist channel.. just playing to fears.

That's a pretty "glass half-empty" way of looking at what was said and akin to me saying that people lamenting the growth of income inequality since the 1950s want to go back to Jim Crow segregation. Most kinds of change (including demographic change) can be disturbing for people and it doesn't mean they're racist. Ditto for advocating for different immigration levels or whatnot. That being said Laura Ingraham very well could be the Grand Dragon of the KKK for all I know, but what she said seems to be to be more of the misty eyed view of the past common to lots of middle aged and older people that completely overlooks the parts of the past that sucked.

21595.jpg

Reactions: HurleyBird

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That's a pretty "glass half-empty" way of looking at what was said and akin to me saying that people lamenting the growth of income inequality since the 1950s want to go back to Jim Crow segregation. Most kinds of change (including demographic change) can be disturbing for people and it doesn't mean they're racist. Ditto for advocating for different immigration levels or whatnot. That being said Laura Ingraham very well could be the Grand Dragon of the KKK for all I know, but what she said seems to be to be more of the misty eyed view of the past common to lots of middle aged and older people that completely overlooks the parts of the past that sucked.

In other words she's a racist.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
In other words she's a racist.

We've gone from about 1 in 20 people in the U.S. being immigrants when she was (presumably) in school to about 1 in 7 now. That's a fairly profound change and one that I'm not surprised that some folks are having trouble adjusting to. People are having trouble adjusting to all kinds of changes in the U.S. and greater world, such as people having issues about "income inequality" as I pointed out earlier - we don't accuse folks concerned about that of hatred.

FT_17.04.10_immigrant_share.png

She’s not a racist, she just doesn’t want demographics to become less white!

Wait what.

If having an opinion about the proper rate of legal immigration is racist then the entire American electorate is racist.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
She’s not a racist, she just doesn’t want demographics to become less white!

Wait what.
A racist looks at racism as the logical and rational extension of a bigoted notion his or her race is superior, whereas others see a racist as somebody who thinks other races than his or her own are inferior and take offense to that.

Reactions: Amused

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The trump trifecta - Hannity Tucker and Ingram. The don't deserve the oxygen they breathe.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

All I want for Christmas is white genocide.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We've gone from about 1 in 20 people in the U.S. being immigrants when she was (presumably) in school to about 1 in 7 now. That's a fairly profound change and one that I'm not surprised that some folks are having trouble adjusting to. People are having trouble adjusting to all kinds of changes in the U.S. and greater world, such as people having issues about "income inequality" as I pointed out earlier - we don't accuse folks concerned about that of hatred.

If having an opinion about the proper rate of legal immigration is racist then the entire American electorate is racist.

If that opinion is about changing demographics then of course it’s racist. You know as well as I do if those immigrants were whites Ingraham wouldn’t be so worried.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

Well there is always Russia if this scares you

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Blow back sucks, White people Liberal and Conservative in high places brought this about to themselves, instead of integrating and equalizing they segregated and degraded, conservatives with their Jim Crow policies and white Liberals with their "Great Society" in order give minorities the illusion of equality while keeping them separated, and of course the final blow was when they flooded their neighborhoods with drugs to destroy the necessary family structure,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crips_and_Bloods:_Made_in_America
Organizational neglect
The film interviews former gang members who describe being turned away from youth organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America and Explorer Scouts of America. The interviewees discuss how young African-American men are neglected from predominantly white organizations, and that black youth across South Central often have no place for developing a sense of identity. The interview subjects discuss how this gave gang culture a special appeal, especially among youth who lacked a sense of belonging.

The documentary also notes how gang culture rose from competition between neighborhood cliques, namely groups like the Slausons, Dell Vikings, and the Gladiators.[15] In addition to providing a sense of community for local youth, these groups also fought back against white gangs who routinely caused problems in black neighborhoods.[16] These first organizations offered a newfound unity and sense of safety for young black men that was otherwise out of reach.

Los Angeles Police Department
Due to the perceived criminality of African-American men, the Los Angeles Police Department under the direction of Chief Officer William Parker, regulated the Los Angeles area. Parker believed in a hardline approach to gang violence and resisted using social work to quell the violence. One of the ways he enforced this was through locking down African-American neighborhoods.[17]According to Kumasi, a former Slauson gang member, "You had to be at the right neighborhood at the right time. You couldn't go east of Alameda, for example."

East of Alameda was a predominantly white neighborhood, where African Americans were not welcomed during the high of the Civil Rights Movement. Kumasi further discusses the invisible barriers that were established. If one was found walking through the “wrong neighborhood” they were questioned. This, in essence, limited the freedom to walk wherever one pleased.

Kumasi later described the experience of an African-American man of Los Angeles as a "walking time bomb". They were experiencing so much hatred from the police that sooner or later they would erupt. "The only question was upon whom," he said.

Watts riots
The documentary then demonstrates how these African-American experiences set the stage for the Watts riots. African Americans were being killed for small crimes. After a police encounter lead to the arrest of an intoxicated man, his brother, mother, and other African Americans took to the streets against the Los Angeles Police Department to protest the racial injustices against them. Chief Officer William Parker fueled the already racialized tension by calling African Americans "monkeys in a zoo".[18] News papers around the country were covering the riots and the documentary discusses the way it was portrayed by the media.

Institutional changes occurred afterwards. The documentary discusses the changes made by the Black Panther Organization and the backlash they received. FBI investigations claimed that the "Black panthers were the biggest threat to internal stability of USA". Black Panther leaders were murdered and arrested.[19] After those leaders disappeared, the new generation started: the Crips and Bloods (see background, membership, and history below).

California economy
California was different from other parts of the South. There were no prior bus laws or segregation in public schools. However, there were covenants against black housing and neighborhood segregation. Even after it was outlawed, neighborhoods remained the same.

Industrialization came to Los Angeles in the late 1950s in response to the booming industrialization of the country. The American economy was changing to an economy with either high end or low end jobs. African Americans found themselves displaced in the job market. They did not have the prior skills, knowledge, or education to perform the high wage technological jobs due to the historical discrimination and lack of opportunities.

They also did not feel like they, as US citizens, should have to perform the low labor jobs either. African Americans felt that they were above the immigrant low level jobs. This resulted in total displacement form the labor market. Eventually, by the latter half of the 1960s, jobs and factories disappeared from the Los Angeles region. The consequences were enormous: businesses were empty with nowhere to turn. It simply became harder and harder to survive.

Drug trade
After the introduction of crack cocaine, even African-American families were torn apart; family institutions also became dysfunctional. There were no male role models in the family. Seventy percent of black children were born to single mothers. Twenty eight percent of all black men would be incarcerated in their lifetime. The disproportionate number of black men in prison made the possibility of a male figure in an African-American family even less likely.

All to keep themselves in power while the rest of us are too busy fighting each other to realize what is really going on.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lbj-convince-the-lowest-white-man/
lbj-quote-racism.jpg

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If that opinion is about changing demographics then of course it’s racist. You know as well as I do if those immigrants were whites Ingraham wouldn’t be so worried.

I have no idea what Ingraham worries about as I don't watch her show or follow her in any way. Absent additional context from the statement in the OP (which is all I have to work with as I don't really feel like doing additional research) I would probably agree with you. I suppose she could prefer something like the ~5% share of immigrant population of the U.S. regardless of their racial and ethnic background and that wouldn't be racist (just unrealistic). As I said earlier going from 1/20 American residents being immigrants to 1/7 over the course of a couple generations is a pretty big change.

On a side note, wanting immigration reform or changes isn't itself racist as you well know. Plus existing or desired rules can have a disparate impact as you also well know (e.g. having a provision for asylum means that seekers of asylum may overrepresent certain racial or ethnic groups because that's where the war is that's creating the asylum seekers). Unless the U.S. has an explicit policy of selecting legal immigrants in exact proportion to their racial/ethnic percentage in the world at large we pretty much have a "racist" immigration policy anyway.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Nationals of another country grew up and were raised under different systems. They hold a different education, different ID. They hold different IDEAS. Why do Democrats make this about the color of their skin? Most the world is darker than white, get over it. That doesn't give them a free pass.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Huffington Post is a rag that masquerades as journalism. They're the far left equivalent of Fox News.

Wanting reasonable immigration control is not racism nor is it desiring a white ethno-state. I can't believe I have to type those words.

I suspect you wrote this without having any idea of what she said, which is weird.

In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America we know and love doesn’t exist anymore. Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don’t like.”

Can you explain to me how that's not racism or desiring a white ethno-state?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

21595.jpg

That's what gets me about the MAGA types. They think the United States was far better at some unspecified point in the distant past, but when pressed on exactly what they thought was better at this point they get suspiciously vague. In terms of medicine, technology, safety etc nearly everyone is better off. Violent crime has been declining for decades. What's left? Primarily social issues. Which boils down to them likely wanting the social structure of the United States rolled back 50 or 60 years. Back when things were fantastic (for people who looked like them).

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I suspect you wrote this without having any idea of what she said, which is weird.

Because it in no way expresses a sentiment that one race is superior to another which is the primary definition of racism. Which is weird that you'd knowingly conflate some wistful longing about "the good old days" with a call for American apartheid.

"In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America we know and love doesn’t exist anymore." Statement of opinion.

"Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people." The word 'foisted' is a loaded word choice but going from 1/20 immigrants to 1/7 qualifies as a "massive demographic change."

"And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don’t like.” First portion is irrelevant, the federal government doesn't work by voter referendum on individual policies. The second a statement of opinion but I suppose testable via poll. "Decrease immigration" seems to have a very tiny plurarity in one poll I saw, feel free to cite others. "Most of us don't like" is an overstatement of the poll numbers if this one is accurate.

206.08.24_GallupPoll1.png

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because it in no way expresses a sentiment that one race is superior to another which is the primary definition of racism. Which is weird that you'd knowingly conflate some wistful longing about "the good old days" with a call for American apartheid.

"In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America we know and love doesn’t exist anymore." Statement of opinion.

"Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people." The word 'foisted' is a loaded word choice but going from 1/20 immigrants to 1/7 qualifies as a "massive demographic change."

She is clearly saying that these demographic changes are bad, meaning that America would be better off if it was more white. It would be hard to find a more textbook definition of racism.

"And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don’t like.”
First portion is irrelevant, the federal government doesn't work by voter referendum on individual policies. The second a statement of opinion but I suppose testable via poll. "Decrease immigration" seems to have a very tiny plurarity in one poll I saw, feel free to cite others. "Most of us don't like" is an overstatement of the poll numbers if this one is accurate.

Seems like the logical conclusion would be that about 60% of Americans think current levels of immigration are either good or not enough. 'Most of us don't like' would be simply factually false as it's clear from that poll result that most of us like it. I for one would be one of those that thinks we need to ramp immigration way up.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Are opinions subject to conditioning. Is bigotry the product of conditioning. One person’s opinion as to what is the proper rate of immigration can be based on anything from hysterical fears to some attempt at scientific research. It also is affected by what criterion’s one sets as to positive and negative effects. You assume that what you unconsciously assume is fact really is.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006

Easy, rather than assuming her motivations are racist think about the point behind them.

A large part of the US immigration policy now is based on a diversity lottery where immigrants are granted access based on their country of origin rather than assessing their ability to contribute or be successful in America. As someone who lives in the second highest density of Somali in the world, I can attest to how it changes demographics and how too many immigrants flooding an area too fast hinders social and cultural adjustment, perhaps pushing it back by several generations, not to mention the difficulties these people have with attaining employment as they have little to no skills or ability to speak English. For many, government financial aid is required to get by.

Now, I will say that much of this is to be expected when people move to a foreign land. But, to play Devil's Advocate, I think what she's saying is given all these conditions there reaches a point of critical mass when too rapid of an influx of people with the inability to support themselves and adapt to American culture causes the immigration to become not only highly inconvenient for existing citizens, but ultimately detrimental to the immigrants themselves as the easy path is to get government benefits and not assimilate, which ultimately leads to the local populace growing more resentful and the immigrants becoming more and more culturally isolated, which benefits no one.

Immigration is crucial to America remaining a prosperous and robust melting pot of people and ideas, but it can be a double edged sword if not done thoughtfully and carefully. The United States was built on immigrants and we should continue to welcome people who want to come here for a better life for themselves and loved ones.

*Cue the "you disagree therefore you're a Nazi racist" responses.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Laura Ingraham dog whistles racist fear & Glenn1 makes excuses for it. Because they're all misty eyed over the Whiteness of our past which apparently isn't racist at all.

WTF does Ingraham propose we do about this supposed great injustice that's been foisted off on White America? Well, other than use it as a point of divisive resentment?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Laura Ingraham dog whistles racist fear & Glenn1 makes excuses for it. Because they're all misty eyed over the Whiteness of our past which apparently isn't racist at all.

WTF does Ingraham propose we do about this supposed great injustice that's been foisted off on White America? Well, other than use it as a point of divisive resentment?

Same dog whistle as you when you call for higher nominal tax rates on the rich that were common in that era.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Seems like the logical conclusion would be that about 60% of Americans think current levels of immigration are either good or not enough. 'Most of us don't like' would be simply factually false as it's clear from that poll result that most of us like it. I for one would be one of those that thinks we need to ramp immigration way up.

Agreed. Given that reproduction of people born in the United States is at or below replacement level we obviously need more immigration, not less.

Reactions: DarthKyrie