Fox business GOP debate

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
So you both care so little for your country that you would waste a vote that could be the one that keeps the greater evil out of office. Nice to have clean hands, I guess.
Don't despair, you can always blame me if things go badly....I have broad shoulders.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Most Republicans believe that we have structural issues in the economy wrt the distribution of wealth & income as well. This subject was brought up several times last night. But the major difference between Republicans and Democrats is the way we need to best address the problem. Obviously these problems haven't been solved by Democrats the past 8 years and with likely not be solved going forward if the perceived solution continues to revolve around higher taxation of the rich and ever-increasing regulation regarding most of every aspect of our society. You can't tax the rich enough to solve the wealth inequity problem unless your idea of the solution is to bring down the rich instead of materially lifting up the middle and lower classes. Right now our economy is currently teetering on the brink of recession and we're getting zero leadership from Obama to avoid it. Something has the change and increasing taxes is a ridiculous solution to the problem.

Please. Repubs have occupied a blocking position in Congress since Ted Kennedy died in 2009 & have used it relentlessly.

Republicans intend to address the problem in what way, exactly, other than more of the same, harder & deeper?

We've created a system where the market advantages enjoyed by the financial elite have allowed for runaway inequality. That inequality compounds on itself. It's the very nature of financialized Capitalism for that to happen. It will continue to accelerate unless some means are employed to change it.

After following their leadership & ideology to get where we are today, what do Republicans propose?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
He is being realistic. There is no way we can remove 11 million people from our country. Time to move on and deal with what we can fix. Like immigration policy.

There is 100% a way to remove them. Make it so fucking onerous to hire one that they have no option but to leave.

$50,000 per employee, per day, strictly enforced. Employers and executives are personally liable for criminal activity and human trafficking after 30 days of not reporting every employee's citizenship status.

They will leave in droves.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Like I said, we allowed it to fester and still are. I tend not to cauterize my wounds with nuclear weapons. Deporting 11 million illegal would be worse that the disease. It's irrational and should not happen. I hope that Trumps idea that they can come back will morph into something even more reasonable if he gets to face the reality of deportation as Pres.

We cannot afford them. Period. We have more than 11mm people who need well paying jobs. I don't give a fuck about them, I give a fuck about Americans.

Anybody who doesn't should just give up their own job to an American who wants it, now.

Hence the point made last night. If illegals were taking jobs that the media cared about, then they'd start whistling a different tune.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We cannot afford them. Period. We have more than 11mm people who need well paying jobs. I don't give a fuck about them, I give a fuck about Americans.

Anybody who doesn't should just give up their own job to an American who wants it, now.

Hence the point made last night. If illegals were taking jobs that the media cared about, then they'd start whistling a different tune.

I understand that you don't give a fuck about them, but you know that I do. Your mistake in judging progressives, in my opinion, is that you believe I care about them more than us, but that is not so. To do as you suggest would make us worse then them and I will do whatever I can to stop that from happening. We have fucked ourselves by allowing this problem to fester and now we have a moral burden we can't escape. You dismiss what I call psychological wisdom, that those who are hardened to the fate of others are hardened to loving themselves an a psychological way. I do not want you to inflict your hardness on others because you will inflict in on yourself and the rest of us as well.

You are a conservative at heart and I am a liberal. You think of the group, American citizens, and I think my group is everybody. For me justice is more important than group. We need a solution that aims to be fair to everybody. To me your thinking is selfish here. I am a progressive, by the way, who, other than on the immigration issue, find Trump to offer the most from Republicans running for President. I hope he gets the nomination. I came to that conclusion almost from the first day I heard him speak.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
There is 100% a way to remove them. Make it so fucking onerous to hire one that they have no option but to leave.

$50,000 per employee, per day, strictly enforced. Employers and executives are personally liable for criminal activity and human trafficking after 30 days of not reporting every employee's citizenship status.

You must live in a fantasy land. How the fuck will you implement and enforce this bullshit plan of yours? How are you going to track down, audit, and fine small businesses from who they hire? Without creating a massive police state with centralized databases with everyone's information.

Meanwhile, conservatives claim to want small government... What a joke.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I think you can get many illegal immigrants to leave the country by simply making it not worth it to reside in the country. i.e.:
-they can never become citizens
-never allowed to vote
-find a way to add additional taxes/fees to any goods/services they purchase.

basically treat them how Obama would like to treat the coal industry

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
You must live in a fantasy land. How the fuck will you implement and enforce this bullshit plan of yours? How are you going to track down, audit, and fine small businesses from who they hire? Without creating a massive police state with centralized databases with everyone's information.

Wow, yeah. His "plan" sounds like the plot in a dystopian independent film script.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Is the alternative to do nothing?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

We already have the ability to track everything through the IRS. Ohh, you didn't know that?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I understand that you don't give a fuck about them, but you know that I do. Your mistake in judging progressives, in my opinion, is that you believe I care about them more than us, but that is not so. To do as you suggest would make us worse then them and I will do whatever I can to stop that from happening. We have fucked ourselves by allowing this problem to fester and now we have a moral burden we can't escape. You dismiss what I call psychological wisdom, that those who are hardened to the fate of others are hardened to loving themselves an a psychological way. I do not want you to inflict your hardness on others because you will inflict in on yourself and the rest of us as well.

You are a conservative at heart and I am a liberal. You think of the group, American citizens, and I think my group is everybody. For me justice is more important than group. We need a solution that aims to be fair to everybody. To me your thinking is selfish here. I am a progressive, by the way, who, other than on the immigration issue, find Trump to offer the most from Republicans running for President. I hope he gets the nomination. I came to that conclusion almost from the first day I heard him speak.

Justice is proving for our countrymen, not somebody else's. Justice is removing people who commit crimes and punishing them for their offenses. Justice isn't letting somebody steal your lunch while the cops turn away, because the thieves give them a cut.

You think I am a conservative? There is your problem. I believe in universal healthcare, for Americans. I believe in unionization, and protectionism of manufacturing, here in the US. I believe in truly free trade, where we get rid of abusers of trade. I also believe in smaller banks, trust/monopoly busting, and higher top marginal taxation.

Why? Because it is better for Americans. Americans. That's it.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Anyone disgusted when the candidates talked about taking away healthcare for the poor and those in need.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Justice is proving for our countrymen, not somebody else's. Justice is removing people who commit crimes and punishing them for their offenses. Justice isn't letting somebody steal your lunch while the cops turn away, because the thieves give them a cut.

You think I am a conservative? There is your problem. I believe in universal healthcare, for Americans. I believe in unionization, and protectionism of manufacturing, here in the US. I believe in truly free trade, where we get rid of abusers of trade. I also believe in smaller banks, trust/monopoly busting, and higher top marginal taxation.

Why? Because it is better for Americans. Americans. That's it.

I refer to your conservative morality, black and white and group defined. You really don't seem to see that your cure is worse than the disease. There is nothing wrong with your values, but there is with how you would apply them. You are far more authoritarian than I am. You do not seem to understand the psychological ramifications of that. You do not see the limits of power in my opinion.

And besides, my support for Trump rests on the utter certainty that he will not succeed at mass deportation.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Watched another 30 minutes. Ted Cruz is insane, he wants to get rid of all low income housing programs.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Watched another 30 minutes. Ted Cruz is insane, he wants to get rid of all low income housing programs.

Quick googling:

He is against net neutrality.
He wants to implement state laws which would make it possible to ban gay marriage.

Yep, he IS insane.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

So (THE ENDLESS DISCUSSION...) you still think it's more important that the gvt goes after Jose and Ramirez who might work the odd job somewhere in a factory for likely less than min. wage, under the table - but have companies/corporates continue to move production to China, hire Indian freelancers, have your clothes stitched in Pakistan and hire H1Bs from India and China - LEGALLY.

You realize that going after Jose and Ramirez is a fricking joke as long as this much more pressing issue is not addressed?

As already pointed out thousand times, go and deport ALL illegals right now (not that this even remotely practicable/doable, costs not even taken into account...SOMEONE has to pay for tripling enforcing agents, detention centers etc.), the impact on our economy is very likely negligible as long as the rest, what companies can legally do is not addressed.

But this is what you get with a full-blown IDIOT as political candidate. His (Trump's) "proposals" are as stupid and in-practical as basically EVERYTHING he ever said up to date. A full blown moron. The result of his "policies" would be a ton of time/money spent for absolute nonsense which will DO NOTHING. Sometimes I actually wish Trump becoming prez just so that it can become obvious how idiotic and non-workable his "ideas" really are.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Could this mornings "Morning Joe" Trump appearance be the beginning of the end for him. When asked about a minimum wage comment he made during the debates he said our taxes & wages are too high we need to compete with Vietnam and China(?) essentially higher wages will keep us uncompetitive (not a quote its a summary). If he makes it to the nominee I doubt this won't come up again.

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
Could this mornings "Morning Joe" Trump appearance be the beginning of the end for him. When asked about a minimum wage comment he made during the debates he said our taxes & wages are too high we need to compete with Vietnam and China(?) essentially higher wages will keep us uncompetitive (not a quote its a summary). If he makes it to the nominee I doubt this won't come up again.

He said something to that effect during the debate as well, though almost no one seems to have noticed.