Found a wallet with $100 ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
This topic came up before, and the general consensus was to return it intact. If *I* was the person receiving the wallet, I'd give all the cash in it to the person returning it as a token of gratitude.

Gloaras

Sep 14, 2000
Return the wallet... I got my wallet stolen once with all my ID in it, my car broken into once and they stole all the insurance and ownership papers... It is a BUNCH of trouble getting it back. You won't only be "stealing" $100 dollards, you will also be stealing the money they will have to spend getting their ID back, not to mention the time off from work they'll have to take.

Just my advice :D

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Take the money and you are a dispicable thief.
I was willing to just label you dispicable.
Adding thief just makes it easier for me to dislike you.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
optoman -- You can join vanderStoep in the Dispicable Scumbag Club. Weasle! :|

HoopDogg

Banned
May 30, 2000
Amazing how people can get so uptight about money.

Jeez - how much is human life worth to you? (if you can so easily give something a value like that)

Keeping the money could be a form of rent for hanging onto / finding the wallet for the guy/gal.

I know if it was my wallet, I'd want it all back, but that's cause I'm greedy. But then again, that's why I dont carry a wallet. :)

vanderStoep

Mar 1, 2000
Syber,

I said &quot;RETURN it without the money&quot;; so there is no problem with renewing IDs and so. (I make a one line statement and you even have trouble with reading that?)

Harvey,

I love you too. I`m already pessimistic and cynical.

Thanks for the support everyone, at least I` m being honest about it.

Oh and BTW Wrangel,
If it is the wallet of a beautiful woman, than things are different of course.

Edit: grammar

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Well its quite clear to me that anybody who would return the wallet but take the money has a pretty sad level of self-respect - so sad and cheap, in fact, that it can be bought for $100. Like I said, I'd rather lose out on $100 that isn't even mine than have some drinking money but know I'm a greasy sh|tbag.

hoopdoog Am I right to think you are quite young? Your attitude indicates it.

Bib

downhiller80

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2000
Get off your high horses you lot. None of you would return it &amp; you know it.

Then again, most of you work and earn $$$$. I'm a poor student so it's different. That $100 = some much needed books to learn C++ &amp; stuff (how do these cost so much!!!)

I expect you all hate be now for being scum but at least I'm not pretending to be someone I'm not. . .

Now if it had ID &amp; stuff in I'd take it to a nearby shop or something (having taken the cash - leave $20 so it's not too obvious to the shop owner what I've done!)

Seb

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
Don't return it, keep the money. I went to a Home Depot with my woman and while i was walking around, i looked down and i found a wad of money. It was $150 dollars and i &quot;yoinked&quot; it with noone watching me. At first i thought, &quot;it could be some old ladies money&quot; but then i realized i was in Buffalo and I hate everyone in that scummy city and if they couldn't hold on to their money then they must not have needed it. So, i filled up my woman's car with gas and took her out to dinner. Then i spent the rest on beer and i think a magazine and something else for my girlfriend. Damn, she made out that day.

Don't worry about tripleshot, he just sounds like another goodie goodie that's so prevelant on these forums. Finders keepers man, finders keepers.

bluemax

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2000
People like this is why there are wars in the world. Selfish, unfeeling, uncaring, unthinking, heartless buggers who only care about themselves and how they can get more for themselves. I'm surprised these people aren't already wandering through stores looking for opportunities to steal something unattended, or pull a scam to get something half price (anyone remember that Chipno episode?)
The more people that believe the selfish credo: &quot;finders keepers losers weepers&quot; the more the world becomes a dark and terrifying place filled with scum instead of humanity. But then, it is man's nature... born to evil to do evil.
That story with the lady's grocery money was a good one... you can either save the day and allow her to buy groceries for her family, or be a selfish pig and keep the money, leaving the woman and her baby to suffer with not only a lack of food, but also the anguish of having her money lost/stolen. Does it make you feel good to hurt people? To ruin their lives for a while? If so, congratulations- Satan's got you wrapped around his little finger.

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
We live in a round world boys.......

What goes around comes around.

What ye sow so shall ye reap.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

etc., etc.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I agree with bluemax.

sebfrost When I say I'd return it I mean that I would. You are trying to pretend you are no worse than many of us here - but you are. You're right when you say I work and make a living. I make my own luck and my own income, I'm not relying on scamming other people out of money. If you and suicidal try and always get ahead by scamming money out of any opportunity you can you'll find that you never end up getting ahead. The richest people in the world go their legally, and in many cases morally. In the end persistence and hard work are what counts, and taking the easy route to some quick cash just reinforced in your head that it is a good thing to do. It isn't.

Like I said, and will continue to repeat until you realize how greasy you are my self-respect costs more than $100.

suicidal Was that $150 really worth the fact that now you can remember for the rest of your life that when it really comes down to it your a low-life theif? I hope your kids never hear of it.

And I'm not talking about religion when I agree with oldandquitemad. What goes around does come around.

BiB

downhiller80

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2000
&quot;what goes around comes around&quot; - what a load of crap.

And if it does, it was going to either way! There is no way my future is determined by whether I take this $100 or leave it.

If it was a manky old purse that obviously belonged to soem dear old lady I'd think differently. But what do we know? It's $100 in cash in a VERY expensive wallet.

Old woman, or flash guy with company car &amp; 50,000 a year?

You are all much better people than me, I don't pretend otherwise.

I'd take it in a second, and not think less of myself for even that long.

Seb

vanderStoep

Mar 1, 2000
BiB,

&quot;The richest people in the world go their legally, and in many cases morally&quot;

So that`s why Bill gates`s Microsoft is in court???

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
sebfrost

You are all much better people than me, I don't pretend otherwise.

At least we are agreed on something.

&quot;what goes around comes around&quot; - what a load of crap. Not so - such actions speak loudly of your character, and your character determines what happens to you in life.

If it was a manky old purse that obviously belonged to soem dear old lady I'd think differently. But what do we know? It's $100 in cash in a VERY expensive wallet.

Old woman, or flash guy with company car &amp; 50,000 a year?

Who cares? Both earned their money, something you don't seem to care about. Perhaps the old lady is an old bit*h, and the guy donates half his income to charity. Perhaps giving back a wallet to a rich guy would get you rewarded with a check for $1000? Perhaps $100 means less to the rich guy than the old woman, but in either case they certainly deserve it more than you.

vanderstoep

Well just to set the records straight Bill gates is no longer the richest guy in the world (or at least wasnt' a month ago). Perhaps by legal I should have meant that he won't be ending up in jail such as a Columbian drug lord. :p

BiB

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
wangel
i suspect you already know what you want to do..

any update on the situation?

jeremy806

May 10, 2000
Return it.

It is not your money, and not your wallet.

It doesn't matter if the guy can &quot;afford&quot; to lose the hundred bucks.

jeremy806

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Whats his face that guy that owns Oracle. Microsoft stock took a dive and Oracle CEO managed to just get ahead of bill.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
sebfrost,

<< I'd take it in a second, and not think less of myself for even that long. >>

Don't worry, I wouldn't think less of you either. I don't think it's possible that I could think less of you.

I don't give two sh!ts about your situation; it still is not a justification to steal. Honesty and integrity must be completely foreign to scum such as yourself.

At least this thread has told me who never to do business with in the For Sale/Trade forum.