Found a wallet with $100 ??

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
Found a wallet yesterday in the parking lot with $100 and a matchbook cover from a Kwik Copy Shop in the neighborhood. Do I try and find the owner or just pocket the money. The wallet is an expensive Armani leather. Probably cost about $100. What would you do?

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
Take the money and run The Eagles

I used to hate people who copied dennil, but it fit so well. :)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If there is any ID in the wallet, return it. If the owner has any conscience, he/she'll do something to thank you appropriately. If not, you'll get at least a good $100 rush out of returning it. :)

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
Well, if it has id, and you want to be a nice guy, return it :) The guy will probably give you like 20 bucks or something for the trouble..

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
return it

When I have decisions like this to make I think: &quot;In a few years this $100 won't mean jack to me, it will have been long since spent. However, I'll still remember that I ripped somebody out of some money.&quot; Money comes much easier than one's sense that one did the right thing and has nothing to be ashamed about.

BiB

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I also vote for returning it. I'd want someone to return mine if I lost it.

Tangent: I found $100 (5x$20) cash on the floor of a supermarket once. Instead of turning it in to the office, I walked around to see if I could spot anyone searching for something. It ended up being a lady and her two kids and she was walking around frantically, eyes glued to the floor. I asked her if she lost something and she said yes, all the money she had for groceries, $100. I handed her the money (at the time, that was about two days' pay for me), and she burst out crying &quot;Thank you, thank you so much!&quot; That was about 20 years ago, and it still makes me feel good to remember it.

Harvey is right, the rush is worth it.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Return it, you shouldn't need to ask. kranky and BiB are right, you can always look back on it and know you did the right think.

Just a few months ago, I went to make a withdrawal from the ATM. Someone had left his card in it, and rather than withdrawing any of his money, I took the card out and called him. He didn't offer me any kind of reward, but I had the satisfaction of knowing I did the right thing.

A few years ago, I was accidentally sent an extra paycheck from my employer. There is no way anyone would have known, but I called to tell them anyway (against the advice of almost everyone I told about it). The manager's reply? &quot;Thanks for your honesty. Keep it.&quot;

Do the right thing; that's worth far more than $100.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I think you should return it, but something tells me you already decided what you will do before you posted this topic.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Return it. You'll sleep better at night knowing you did a good deed. Plus its great story to tell the kids later in life when you want them to be just as honest.

Windogg

EDIT: BTW, I know you'll do it since you had to ask us. Your consciounce is already bothering you.

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
Where are your moral values, vanderStoep? The guy probably wouldn't miss it, but it's not the right thing to do. I once lost my wallet with like 40 or 50 bucks and someone was nice enough to return it. You know...it's not only the money...but it's a pain in the ass to get all your stuff killed off and getting new atm cards, credit cards, and whatever else you carry around in your wallet... Even if you kept the money, at the very least return the stuff in the wallet..

Jonny

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
Speaking of wallets, if any of you find mine, please tell me.

I have my licence in it, bank card, birt cirt., a bunch ofther cards, and 750 bucks.

I lost it and I CANNOT find it.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Whatever you do, make sure to return the wallet. Losing id/credit cards etc really really sucks. As for the money, you have the choice of pocketing it as your reward:p People that lose their wallets are just happy to get it back, even without the cash:p If it was a expensive wallet, then i guess the guy probably wouldn't miss the 100bux.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
vanderStoep -- People like you make good people cynical and pessimistic. MORON!!! :|

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I lost my wallet too. It also has 750 bucks and Johny's birth certificate and Johny's drivers licscense.

BlkDragon6

Jan 7, 2000
I don't think that returning would be just that easy. There was no mention of an ID. But if there is something that is a unique thing in there, then I would look for the owner, read the local newspapers, they might have an lost and found ad. If you find something that looks like it might be the owner, ask if they can identify some of the things in there. Saying &quot;return it&quot; may not be as easy as it sounds.

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
If someone found your cash, wouldnt you want it returned?

If the wallet has id, notify the owner. A reward is noce, but knowing that you did the right thing and helped someone out is its own reward. If the wallet has no id., then turn it over to the police. If no owner is found, then the cash will eventually be yours. Either way, a good reward for a good deed.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
If you're gonna return the wallet give the damn money in it too, like I said that way you won't know you're a cheap F**k later when the money is gone and you're still a sniveling good for nothing!

BiB

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
If the guy has an expensive wallet then keep the money. I'm sure he will be more than happy to just get back all his ids. The time and agrivation are far worse than losing a $100.