Forza Horizon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Question on Horizon... I have played all the Forza's with my steering wheel / playseat setup. This one looks a bit more arcade like and I'm tempted to pick it up. Is this game meant to be played with a controller (like NFS) or with a steering wheel?

Thank you!

it is not really any more arcade than the other Forzas.. it feels just like it.

it is not arcade at all when compared to NFS or Burnout etc..

Love this game... have about 70 hours in so far.. just cant stop.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Debating. I don't know if I'll have enough time between BLOPS 2 and Halo 4. Plus, I've gone back and have started doing endurance races in Forza III.

By the way, didn't EA release a Most Wanted NFS game back in 2005? I bought it for PC and that was a fun game.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Debating. I don't know if I'll have enough time between BLOPS 2 and Halo 4. Plus, I've gone back and have started doing endurance races in Forza III.

By the way, didn't EA release a Most Wanted NFS game back in 2005? I bought it for PC and that was a fun game.

yes and the new one is nothing at all like it.

the new one is a re-flavored burnout paradise.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
it is not really any more arcade than the other Forzas.. it feels just like it.

it is not arcade at all when compared to NFS or Burnout etc..

Love this game... have about 70 hours in so far.. just cant stop.

i've heard the new one actually uses a lot of the burnout paradise map, which is pretty disappointing. i've heard it has the exact same airfield stunt park, as well as billboards in the same locations.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
NeoGAF said WalMart will have it for $15. Haven't seen the ad myself but I'll assume they know what they are talking about.

hah damn if that is the case, walmart will take my $15.

EDIT:

wow it is ... check out the ads here - http://blackfriday.com/stores/walmart/flyers/black-friday (found this on CAG)

go to page 6, and look at the case in the stack that looks kind of pink on the side.

then check out this image i found - http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...p843x403/418_237780826348787_1305261918_n.jpg

definitely forza horizon.

Last edited:

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
sale starts at 8PM - i'll be mid-dinner party then :-/ is there a 1-per-person limit?

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Hope the WalMart here has it in stock, we have one of the smallest stores in the country, but it's the biggest store in town...

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
I received my copy from Microsoft and I am enjoying the game. I was hoping the multiplayer would be TDU like, but overall its pretty fun.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have the game (sorta)...bought it at wal mart on thanksgiving along with a couple other things but it's been put away for X-Mas. I have no say in that lol. I was told that if I buy any games between thanksgiving and x-mas that I'll have to wait to play em. Sometimes I wish I was single lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have the game (sorta)...bought it at wal mart on thanksgiving along with a couple other things but it's been put away for X-Mas. I have no say in that lol. I was told that if I buy any games between thanksgiving and x-mas that I'll have to wait to play em. Sometimes I wish I was single lol.

that makes absolutely no sense.

oh, and grow a pair lol.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

Or not completely whipped, but you run your household your way and I will mine. :awe:
j/k man.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I have this and the new Need for Speed Most Wanted, got them both on Black Friday deals. For pure racing and the feel of the cars, Horizon definitely wins. In Most Wanted, each of the cars definitely has a different feel that them but still much easier to drive and more forgiving. Graphics I give the edge to Horizon as well as there's not much going on other than the cars so it can devote more processing to the cars. Most Wanted still looks pretty good though. As an "open world" Most Wanted wins by a huge margin. The world in Forza Horizon doesn't even feel like an open world at all. Sure you can drive wherever you want but you have to basically stay within the roads with almost no real places to go. Most Wanted feels like a much more alive world with tons of cars everywhere and off the path spots for hidden areas. To fast travel to spots in Horizon it costs $10,000 which is a lot. Driving to each of the races in Horizon really isn't that fun since you're driving on nearly empty roads everywhere and you'll be doing tons of driving to each individual race. The pure racing aspect of Horizon is definitely better than Most Wanted but in the 4 or so hours I've played, Most Wanted has been more fun than the nearly 3 hours I've played Horizon. The races with more traffic on the road, shortcuts, jumps, cops etc, had made the races more fun IMO. This is my first Need for Speed game I've ever owned and have owned every Gran Turismo, Forza 2, and 3, so I definitely prefer the more realistic driving to arcade. The horrible open world in Forza just kills it for me though. If they didn't have the open world with all the boring/tedious driving everywhere, I'd definitely like it better. Right now, I think I'll be playing Need for Speed more even though reviews say it's really short and doesn't have a large selection of cars.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
that makes absolutely no sense.

oh, and grow a pair lol.

Sure it makes sense...If I buy everything I want I won't leave anything left to get for x-mas. So it's a little like picking out my own gifts with mutual funds.

It's no different than just saying "buy me these 3 games" and I know I'll be getting them anyway. We do this every year. That way we both get something we wanted anyway along with whatever else we get that we don't know about.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have this and the new Need for Speed Most Wanted, got them both on Black Friday deals. For pure racing and the feel of the cars, Horizon definitely wins. In Most Wanted, each of the cars definitely has a different feel that them but still much easier to drive and more forgiving. Graphics I give the edge to Horizon as well as there's not much going on other than the cars so it can devote more processing to the cars. Most Wanted still looks pretty good though. As an "open world" Most Wanted wins by a huge margin. The world in Forza Horizon doesn't even feel like an open world at all. Sure you can drive wherever you want but you have to basically stay within the roads with almost no real places to go. Most Wanted feels like a much more alive world with tons of cars everywhere and off the path spots for hidden areas. To fast travel to spots in Horizon it costs $10,000 which is a lot. Driving to each of the races in Horizon really isn't that fun since you're driving on nearly empty roads everywhere and you'll be doing tons of driving to each individual race. The pure racing aspect of Horizon is definitely better than Most Wanted but in the 4 or so hours I've played, Most Wanted has been more fun than the nearly 3 hours I've played Horizon. The races with more traffic on the road, shortcuts, jumps, cops etc, had made the races more fun IMO. This is my first Need for Speed game I've ever owned and have owned every Gran Turismo, Forza 2, and 3, so I definitely prefer the more realistic driving to arcade. The horrible open world in Forza just kills it for me though. If they didn't have the open world with all the boring/tedious driving everywhere, I'd definitely like it better. Right now, I think I'll be playing Need for Speed more even though reviews say it's really short and doesn't have a large selection of cars.

i almost snagged MW for $40 from gamestop but decided not to. i hear that the city is very similar to the one in burnout paradise, and even has some of the same landmarks and even the airpark stunt course. even some of the billboards are in the same place. once i found that out i was kind of let down. burnout paradise owned hard, but i got 101% on that game and don't want to just replay it lol.

Sure it makes sense...If I buy everything I want I won't leave anything left to get for x-mas. So it's a little like picking out my own gifts with mutual funds.

It's no different than just saying "buy me these 3 games" and I know I'll be getting them anyway. We do this every year. That way we both get something we wanted anyway along with whatever else we get that we don't know about.

the point of xmas gifts is the whole gift giving process. just seems like you are totally eliminating that process. but it does make sense if you bought them with the same exact funds, same as your wife just going and buying the games after you told her to. just sounded funny the way you worded it.

but in the same manner, it makes no difference if you get it on xmas or now since you already have it.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

what game are you playing? it sure as hell isnt the same Horizon i am..
boring and tedius driving to events?

this game is about the JOYS of driving cars..
not about fast traveling that is why there is a cash penalty to fast travel..
3 hours? you are barely out of the tutorial then.. you havent even scratched the surface.
I think you are just the arcade type of player..
Forza is for car enthusiasts that love to drive.

half the time I cant even get up to speed for traps there are so many damn cars on the roads..
and NFS is a joke.. the game plays horribly and the world is uninspired and bland.
Horizon feels like real life.. and yes there are PLENTY of off road areas in Horizon and nooks and cranies you can short cut across.

Ive got over 90+ hours in Horizon now.
and I still havent seen every single road it has to offer.

MW lasted approximately 5 hours in my drive and tossed it in the trash. horrible single player game.. and mildly entertaining multi

Horizon has both in spades.. it deserves every 9 and 10 it got.

Last edited: