Forza Horizon

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by tdawg, Oct 18, 2012.

1. tdawg

tdawg Platinum Member

Anybody excited about / buying Forza Horizon? I need to download the demo and give it a shot to see if I really want to consider buying this, but I kind of like the move to real-world roads from the track. The trailer kind of reminds me of Test Drive Unlimited, just in Colorado instead of Hawaii.

I can't remember seeing any threads for this game and a search didn't bring any previous threads back that I could find, so thought I'd start this thread to see who's going to be playing this one.

2. Don Vito Corleone

I really liked the demo. I have not been playing any video games recently but have pre-ordered this. Seems to me like a fun mix of open-world arcade setup with Forza physics.

3. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

I really liked the demo too but I'm waiting until after Need for Speed Most Wanted comes out to see which I'll pick up.

4. tdawg

tdawg Platinum Member

Good point! I forgot about NFS coming out around the same time. I loved Burnout Paradise, so I better check that out before committing to Forza.

5. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
    Super Moderator

I'm definitely interested. I'll pick it up over black friday at 29.99. They seem to always blow out racing games around that time. Forza 4 dropped in price pretty quickly IIRC, so I felt kind of bad for spending 80 bucks on the collectors edition.

6. blurredvision

This is pretty much right. The chances for this game to show up somewhere at least at $40 within the next month is high IMO.

I was really impressed with the demo and want to buy the full game, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable price drop.

7. tdawg

tdawg Platinum Member

I downloaded the demo and put some time into it. I have to say, I'm really tempted to pick this up at launch; so much fun!

8. CVSiN

CVSiN Diamond Member

will be getting my LE copy tonight.
    saw Warcrow on his review copy last night putting some time in.

how is the final man?

9. CVSiN

CVSiN Diamond Member

Well played till 1am last night.. fun game for sure.
    saw a few of the ATOT guys playing it.

My ONLY complaint is I wish it was truly online and that those drivers all over Horizon were real people.. and that the races were against them instead of AI.

like TDU.

game is very fun and very polished though.
    found 4 barn finds so far that is very fun looking for the barn ;)

10. Don Vito Corleone

I played some last night. In addition to the game I had bought a Steadiplay stand for my Fanatec wheel setup (I never really cared for the Fanatec RennSport stand I had bought with my wheel - way too much wobble) so had to assemble and set that up first as well.

I am really liking the game so far. I love the idea of putting Forza's strengths into an open world environment, and it looks and plays great. I really love having a bit of rallying in the mix as well. I am still tweaking my wheel settings but the wheel support seems great as well. The next question will be whether I like it, and will play it enough to get the season pass - we shall see . . .

#10 Don Vito Corleone, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  11. warcrow

warcrow Lifer

Sorry, missed this until today.

The game is great. Lots and lots of fun. Really enjoying it.

12. digiram

digiram Diamond Member

hmm.. might have to get this for my son for xmas ;)

13. vshah

vshah Lifer

no tuning turned me off initially but i'll probably pick it up once it drops below $30

14. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
    Super Moderator

I decided to pick it up anyway and I am glad I did. It is definitely worth for retail price. My only complaint would be I wish the open world was a little bit larger test drive unlimited two was quite a bit bigger than this one. However the driving mechanics totally make up for the lack of map size. Fantastic game that I will be playing for quite some time.

15. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

played the demo last night and thought it was pretty cool. definitely a fan of the arcade racers over the sim style in general, and a fan of open racing as well as point-to-point over doing laps.

i may pick this up down the road. halo is out next week so i doubt i'll play this much if i pick it up now.

16. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

How's the map size compare to Burnout Paradise? I consider that the pinnacle of open world arcade racers this gen. So far.

17. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Now that the new Need for Speed came out and got good reviews just like this did, it's time for me to think about which I want more.

18. CVSiN

CVSiN Diamond Member

both are good.. but Forza is far more a car lovers dream..
    the Multi is the only part of Forza that is inferior to MW.

MW has drop in drop out full open world multi with traffic and an amazing fun activity list.

Horizon has more Forza like events on sections of the open world with no drop in and out and no traffic..

But Forza trumps it in every way when ot comes to cars and physics and modding and making a car yours and unique through customization and tuning.

I like both but find myself going back to Forza for pure enjoyment.

19. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

is there a demo of MW? i am just concerned that MW was also a launch title, and they are already revamping it. granted, i know NOTHING about this new version other than the name. i've always enjoyed NFS games though.

i came to this thread to post that i also really like the music in Horizon. i played the demo a bit more last night after i hooked up my new receiver and the music is really good in it.

20. CVSiN

CVSiN Diamond Member

yes the music and atmosphere in Horizon is amazing as well.

I love the music and the whole Car Festival theme.

MW is not MW.. they should not have even used the same name.
    it is a bastardized version of Burnout paradise with licensed cars and cops.

that's not necessarily a bad thing.. but if you go in thinking it is MW you will be disappointed,

21. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

well i wouldn't even consider it if it is a remake of the launch title.

but i just read the review and yea, it sounds a lot like burnout paradise, and considering it's from criterion, my interest has now peaked.

also searched and saw there is no demo of it, so that does not help.

i personally think i will like the handling better in MW because i prefer arcadey racers in general. and while horizon is more arcadey than the real forza, it's not really close to being as arcadey as burnout or nfs.

22. CVSiN

CVSiN Diamond Member

yeh Forza even on it's easiest setting is still very very hard on some races.
    and the handling even with ABS and Tract control on the cars are still a handful.

On MW the cars do not behave like cars much. have to force a drift and then the drift is "locked in" where in Forza a powerful car will literally rip it's tires through every corner if not finessed.

To me driving fast cars all my life I'm more at home in Forza.

23. Don Vito Corleone

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I am also disappointed Most Wanted doesn't support steering wheels - I have a pretty nice wheel setup and find it much more fun and immersive to play that way.

24. jrphoenix

jrphoenix Golden Member

Question on Horizon... I have played all the Forza's with my steering wheel / playseat setup. This one looks a bit more arcade like and I'm tempted to pick it up. Is this game meant to be played with a controller (like NFS) or with a steering wheel?

Thank you!

25. Don Vito Corleone

The physics engine is based on the Forza engine, and for me it works great with a wheel. I might still frankly be faster with a controller, but the wheel is way more fun to me.