FORZA HORIZON 5 IS OFFICIAL!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
(vids and pics)

Set in Mexico, to the disappointment of everyone.
Including Mexico.

(I think a lot of folks were hoping for Japan)

Anyway, I am betting it will be like Forza Horizon 3 which was set in Australia and included all types of geography all within about 3 minutes of each other.
Oceans. Lakes. Rivers. Jungles. Deserts. Forests. And of course, cities.

I'll be playing it on my fancy ass gaming computer. You guys let me know if you intend to go Xbox or not.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats OK, I guess.

Test Drive Unlimited is bigger. Its the actual size of Oahu. In a hypercar it takes a good 1.5 hours to get all the way around it.
But the map is mostly empty. And much of the scenery is the same, and boring.

1,545 square KM. And many of those highways are nice and long. You get let the throttle all the way out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont think I'll purchase it on Steam:

In fact I may pass on this. To be honest as far as gameplay is concerned I think the series has gone downhill since FH2. They definitely added a lot of nice new cars with each game, but the actual driving and racing never gets any better. They also get more obsessed with offroad crap in each generation, and lose focus on the street racing which to me was the real joy. Especially long highway adventures which were central to FH2 and kinda lost in FH4.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
FH2 was also the last one I enjoyed. The gameplay gets stale with these games and they aren't doing anything to change it up really, although you did mention off road which I found fun, so maybe they are changing stuff up. But they need to change the root formula somehow to get me interested in it again.

This seems to be an issue generally speaking with many of the MS first party games.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Hahaha, I am still playing Paradise City. If I like that, Horizons would be fun?

I bought straight up Forza (4, I think?) and liked it but not enough to dump a lot of time into it. I got to help out at a Road Atlanta Track Day IRL and putting a lot of laps on it in Forza really helped me identify all the turns when people were discussing it so that was cool…

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I still think the Forza Motorsport games are much better. If you like real racing that's what you should play.
Forza Horizon is less realistic gameplay in a fun fantasy world. Collecting lots of cars and cruising thru the country is fun but gets old quickly. Like I said TDU has a much bigger world but there isn't a lot of detail. BeamNg is very realistic but right now the maps are small. Also its still in early access and frankly I don't think will ever get finished.
We still don't have a great traffic simulator. Until Microsoft makes one we'll have to make do with lesser games.

Reactions: blckgrffn

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Burnout Paradise is probably the best racing game ever, or up there.

FH1 was fun but not as fun as Burnout Paradise was, and part 2 was just more of the same then I lost interest for the most part.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Burnout Paradise is probably the best racing game ever, or up there.

FH1 was fun but not as fun as Burnout Paradise was, and part 2 was just more of the same then I lost interest for the most part.

I like them kinda stupid fun. My kids will play with me, pass the controller around and cackle with laughter as we get into crazy accidents. They’ll also watch raptly during the races when the game puts on that dizzy sense of speed and chance and making a clean run using some back alleys makes you look amazing. It’s a great game, and if any of these have a sense of that I’d be down for a tweak of the formula.

Gamepass? I will have to see if the older Horizon titles are there…

Paradise City Remastered is on Gamepass (I also had bought it for $5 on eBay for the disc version a couple years back after the kiddos discovered the 360 version in a box and popped it into the One and low and behold it worked and I found them one Saturday morning laughing insanely but the graphics were meh and the remaster was $5!) and if you haven’t checked it out, man it’s gorgeous. The One X graphics settings look amazing on my TV. It’s worth installing and driving around in my opinion.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Gamepass? I will have to see if the older Horizon titles are there…

Only Horizon 4 and Motorsport 7 is there. They do not sell the older ones anymore. They only have a limited time license for the cars. Usually they give the previous version away as a game with gold right before the license expires. If you want to play the old versions you will need to find a physical disc or game code for it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Only Horizon 4 and Motorsport 7 is there. They do not sell the older ones anymore. They only have a limited time license for the cars. Usually they give the previous version away as a game with gold right before the license expires. If you want to play the old versions you will need to find a physical disc or game code for it.
yeah I been trying to find codes for the FH2 DLC and I cannot. Which is a shame because the DLC cars keep popping up in game all the time. I just cant buy them or drive them. Very annoying the way they handle things.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I dont think I'll purchase it on Steam:

In fact I may pass on this. To be honest as far as gameplay is concerned I think the series has gone downhill since FH2. They definitely added a lot of nice new cars with each game, but the actual driving and racing never gets any better. They also get more obsessed with offroad crap in each generation, and lose focus on the street racing which to me was the real joy. Especially long highway adventures which were central to FH2 and kinda lost in FH4.

Buying a Forza game doesn't make a lot of sense, considering that you'll be able to "rent" it on XBox Game Pass on launch day. It's only $10 a month ($1 for your first month), and you'll probably be able to finish most of the races in about three weeks.

That's what I did for Forza Horizon 4, anyway.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I'll be playing it on my xsex - I find FH4 much more enjoyable on my 65" 4k tv, even at 60hz, than on my 4k160hz monitor. It just seems like being able to couch lounge with a giant screen is worth more than higher graphics/higher refresh rate for this game.

If I'm lucky I might have a 4k120 oled TV by then, though....

• Wow
Reactions: shortylickens

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
While not totally related I figured this was probably the best place to put it.

Just announced, Motorsport 7 is end of life on September 15. If you want it buy it before then (wait for the last day in case sales happen actually on sale now, buy it if you want it, $20 for ultimate). Will be removed from Gamepass also. In the past they gave away the base game as Games With Gold, might not do it this time as it is in Gamepass now.

Kind of a bummer they have to do this (their car/track licenses expire) before the next game is ready.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ok so I found out microsoft had given me a 10 dollar credit and I thought I'd go ahead and buy the uber super ulitmate edition of forza motorsport 7. entered my credit card info for the other 9.99. They fucked up. Charged it all to my card. and somehow the credit disappeared too.

I am livid.

This game is just OK and I really did not want to pay more than 9.99 for it.

Also, a lot of reviewers said they messed up the gameplay but I think its just ducky.
The MENU is a god damn mess. But other than that I like it.

Forza motorsport 6 was damn near perfect. Loads of campaign races. Tons of bonus races. And the UI was very clean, simple, and easy.

So of course they had to go and wreck it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
And just like everything else these days, the base version is really just stripped down, and paying extra gets you what would have been in the base version.

Still looking at November 5th, and frankly I can wait for a sale. as much fun as these games are, I never once felt like they were necessary.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
And just like everything else these days, the base version is really just stripped down, and paying extra gets you what would have been in the base version.

Still looking at November 5th, and frankly I can wait for a sale. as much fun as these games are, I never once felt like they were necessary.

This is the same thing that happened with 2, 3 and 4.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I just played whatever version of 4 came with gamepass, and I'll do the same for 5. Absolutely none of the pay-for content in 4 looked worth my money (except buying the car I own in real life, since it's a real money only purchase).

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I just played whatever version of 4 came with gamepass, and I'll do the same for 5. Absolutely none of the pay-for content in 4 looked worth my money (except buying the car I own in real life, since it's a real money only purchase).

Yeah, the car passes and what not are for dedicated Forza players. Just the base game has way more cars than I ever use. The only thing I might buy is the DLC. The Hot Wheels ones for 3 was awesome. Haven't really been tempted by any others.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, the car passes and what not are for dedicated Forza players. Just the base game has way more cars than I ever use. The only thing I might buy is the DLC. The Hot Wheels ones for 3 was awesome. Haven't really been tempted by any others.

It doesn't look like there will be any Kia cars in the new Forza Horizon game. That's a bummer, because I'd think that it would be fun to rock a Kia Stinger GT around the track.

I mean, it's basically a South Korean Audi S5, right?

My old cars (A Mini Cooper and a Ford Mustang GT) came standard in the game, so I guess that I can always drive one of those.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the bonus regions are actually kind of fun, but not for everyone. In particular Hot Wheels Land and Lego Land are kind of silly. But I did enjoy them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
maybe I'll try this game. Have never been really into any car racing games. Seem boring but now with the graphics getting better, hey, who konws.

What would be fun is if the cars could do stuff, like Spyhunter.

They should make Forza have a baby with Spyhunter.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
maybe I'll try this game. Have never been really into any car racing games. Seem boring but now with the graphics getting better, hey, who konws.

What would be fun is if the cars could do stuff, like Spyhunter.

They should make Forza have a baby with Spyhunter.
What systems do you have right now?