Formula BOINC race

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

salvorhardin

Jan 30, 2003
I've been having the same problems on my machines. Tried switching to different milkyway apps but it only fixed it for 2 wus and then it started increasing the time to complete. Only thing that seems strange is that it runs the cpu at the beginning of the wu and not at the end.

Upgraded to the fall update today and it appears that the wasted cpu time is fixed. I'm now crunching 2 milkyway opencl workunits at a time in under a minute.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Upgraded to the fall update today and it appears that the wasted cpu time is fixed. I'm now crunching 2 milkyway opencl workunits at a time in under a minute.

Uhm....how do you upgrade to the Fall update? I've tried "reset the project" with no improvement.

Are you running WinTen or 8.1, 7?

Edit: I visited the MW homepage, the new program is N-body, that's a CPU task isn't it? While waiting for a reply, perhaps I should go change preferences and try a few to find out for myself. :)

Edit#2: Yep, CPU task, still limited to 16 threads, but much improved run time for sure! Still baffled as to how that has affected your GPU/opencl work units though.

Last edited:

salvorhardin

Jan 30, 2003
Sorry, it's the windows 10 fall update, I got it throuch windows update. Currently have milkyway settings set at only accepting milkyway@home workunits, left n-body and separation unchecked and unchecked to send me workunits from other projects.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The numbers are as of November 14, 2015, 19:00 UTC and as of November 13, 2015, 20:30 UTC:

Leiden Classical:

25s0u8o.jpg

f9m453.jpg

MilkyWay@Home:

2e17uqh.jpg

2ypb5fc.jpg

Volpex@UH:

8xkd1y.jpg

20h6l1w.jpg

Yafu@Home

b6wk5i.jpg

Formula-BOINC total standing:

2pt5vuu.jpg

Bormula-BOINC: TaEm AnandTech's projects:

dfbsb5.jpg

Only 16 more days of 2015-Formula-BOINC. The only project we may gain 2 more points is MilkyWay@Home, where we need approx 11 million more points to gain, which is quite possible ...

But there is one important point: 51 milestones have been passed! That is just great! Congrats to the milestone makers!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
For the next two weeks I propose that we run the PrimeGrid race (for those who want to do that) and then MilkyWay@Home. The other projects are no problem:
  • Leiden Classical: we have a 300K lead - not easy to pass,
  • Edges: has no WUs
  • NFS@Home: we have a 2 M lead - we could be passed, but that seems not probable just now, and if that would be the case, we can ramp up production,
  • Universe@Home: we could lose one point - the difference is only 300K,
  • Volpex@UH: has no WUs and has not had them for 5 days,
  • Yafu:we have a 270K lead and that is a hard project to crunch ...

As I see it, we can lose one (1) point and/or gain 2 points.

The questions are:
  1. Should we break off the race and be happy as we are now? or
  2. Should we switch over to Universe@Home?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have points in Yafu under StitchExperimen

I am sorry, but this is what I see when I do the stats:

sx1vgl.jpg

OK, I've found you ... but you have not joined the TeAm! I'll add you to the stats! Please join the TeAm!

2n88mbt.jpg

Since you have not joined TeAm AnandTech, your points have not counted to the TeAm in Formula-BOINC!

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
The questions are: Should we break off the race and be happy as we are now? or Should we switch over to Universe@Home?

We can race for fun. The Formula is pretty much a done deal, with the exception of gaining 2 points in MW (but not advancing in the overall standings).

I can keep Mjolnir on Universe to slow down anyone creeping up on us.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thestats are as of November 18, 2015, 19:00 UTC.

Finished projects:

NFS@Home:

105vbcg.jpg

Congrats to the winner: TennesseTony!

Volpex@UH:

2ds1cav.jpg

Congrats to the winner: Fardringle!

Ongoing projects:

Leiden Classical:

20auw5c.jpg

Congrats to the Milestone Maker: QuietDad!

MilkyWay@Home:

16k84ro.jpg

Congrats to the Milestone Maker: Pokey!

Yafu:

p822x.jpg

Congrats to the Milestone Makers: salvorhardin & StichExperimen!

Universe@Home:

j7u6pc.jpg

Only 12 days to go, lets finish this!

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'll have to pass on Universe@home. I would like to get some milestones there, but for some reason the AV software running at the office (Bitdefender Endpoint) and on my home PCs (Trend Micro Office Scan) flags BOINC for malware activity when it downloads work from the project, and while it's merely an annoyance so I can run it at home, I can't have it constantly popping up those messages on the work computers or I'll get complaints from the users that I really don't want to deal with..

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Only 11,000,000 behind in Milkyway, gaining quickly (5-7 days), then we get another 2 points.

Less than 700,000 behind in Universe, gaining, err, make that losing ground. Boo. :colbert:

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
Got a cuda working on Milkyway with 6 of the cores on that box. 4 cores of a q6000 on Lieden and will switch over a dual core over to Universe and we'll see what that does

salvorhardin

Jan 30, 2003
Now back to wasting 20s before starting each milkyway workunit. Looks like we'll gain 2 points in milkyway within 24hrs. We're about a million behind and we're being out produced by about 140k a day.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Now back to wasting 20s before starting each milkyway workunit. Looks like we'll gain 2 points in milkyway within 24hrs. We're about a million behind and we're being out produced by about 140k a day.

Milkyway:
2r2pr8h.png

Were you referencing Universe in that last sentence?

Looks like we're out-producing both 7 and 9 by 2,500,000 per day, should get that 2 points by Wednesday, or Thursday at the latest, and we're safe from being overtaken I believe, for Milkyway.

We are taking a beating in Universe though. :\

For now my Milkyway tasks are running 'normal' without the added 20-35 seconds of CPU processing up front. I hope it stays that way!

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I was going to finish up my work on Milkyway and Universe and start switching back to Folding. Should I wait until we have officially gained that spot in Milkyway or is it OK for me to back off?

salvorhardin

Jan 30, 2003
Milkyway:
2r2pr8h.png

Were you referencing Universe in that last sentence?

Looks like we're out-producing both 7 and 9 by 2,500,000 per day, should get that 2 points by Wednesday, or Thursday at the latest, and we're safe from being overtaken I believe, for Milkyway.

We are taking a beating in Universe though. :\

For now my Milkyway tasks are running 'normal' without the added 20-35 seconds of CPU processing up front. I hope it stays that way!

Sorry, yeah it's universe I was talking about. At first I thought it was the cumulative update in windows 10 that screwed it up, but after checking my update history I saw my last installed update was 2 days before it added time.