Formatting Hard drive with a Converter

Jessie25

Jan 8, 2018
Ok I have been searching everywhere for days and cannot find an answer. I have 3 hard drives (Will Post Pics) And I need to format all of these to sell. I was looking for a good converter to plug into my laptop and such but everyone I ask On Ebay or Amazon say that my hard drive won't work with there converters. Any Help would be great!http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/937/wd_scorpio.jpg

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
No big deal.

You really want to "Wipe" (ie, write zeros) to the drive, not just format.

For a one time operation, I would substitute the drive into the laptop (dont bother screwing it in place, just support it as needed with a cardboard shim) , boot up a Windows 98/ME recovery disk with free program "Wipe" added on it, then clear the drive. Substitute the next drive to be cleared and do the same, etc.

Otherwise, buy an external enclosure and do the job, but you may have to first boot up in an operating system/OS then execute the "Wipe" from command line.

The first option has advantages that it is least expensive plus no way you can screw up accidentally cleaning the wrong drive.

Reactions: Jessie25

Jessie25

Jan 8, 2018
It wont go into it. My computer doesn't have the 4 little pins you see in the picture to the right. You know what I mean? It can't be inserted into my computer that I have now. That's Why I was looking into getting a converter.

Jessie25

Jan 8, 2018
No big deal.

For a one time operation, I would substitute the drive into the laptop (dont bother screwing it in place, just support it as needed with a cardboard shim) , boot up a Windows 98/ME recovery disk with free program "Wipe" added on it, then clear the drive. Substitute the next drive to be cleared and do the same, etc.

Otherwise, buy an external enclosure and do the job, but you may have to first boot up in an operating system/OS then execute the "Wipe" from command line.

The first option has advantages that it is least expensive plus no way you can screw up accidentally cleaning the wrong drive.
Could you recommend a converter for this hard drive?

Jessie25

Jan 8, 2018
No big deal.

Thank you! I did get it to go in after all. Just used Dban and wiped the drive. Thanks Alot! :)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
the four pins on the side arent required for standard operation or installation.

i would put each drive in, one at a time, and use DBAN to wipe. autonuke option should be fine.

just ensure you dont have any other disks installed that have data you wanna keep, DBAN will wipe anything it sees.