Fork/Knife Etiquette - SRS POAL

Which hand is the knife when cutting?

• Cut with knife in right hand, as any civilized person would do.

• I cut with knife in my left hand because I am a filthy unwashed animal.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Ok help me settle this dispute and prove that my wife was raised by wolves/is an unwashed barbarian.

For right-handed people (no idea how this applies to lefty freaks), when you are holding both a fork and knife in your hands...

which hand is the fork and which hand is the knife while you are in the process of cutting?

Left hand fork? Right hand fork? Inquiring minds want to know.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
The question isn't one about being civilized. I doubt that most right-handed people could use their left hand to hold a knife to cut something even if they wanted to.

You completely missed the real knife & fork etiquette controversy, which is whether or not you switch hands after cutting, so that you always eat with the fork in the right hand. And the answer to that question is: Nobody cares any more.

Last edited:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I would presume your inclination would be to hold the knife in your strong hand since it will have to perform the motion that requires more energy and coordination. Who knows if someone is ambidextrous, whether or not they have ever noticed and honed their ambidexterity.

However, I suppose this could be something that is trained. Looking at a baseball analogy: you hold the glove in the hand you don't use to throw -- and you are probably going to have your strongest hand throwing. When I was a little kid, I remember at first I always wanted to put the glove on my strong side (right), then just take it off to throw, but it obviously isn't optimal. My point is that I trained myself to do certain tasks with my left side and certain tasks on my right side, and I am guessing most people have had events like this that have caused them to train themselves similarly. I could put the fork in my right-hand and make it work without many problems, but that's left-hand work.

You would have to be a filthy unwashed animal to let your left-hand do right-hand work.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Usually knife in right hand. Never know when someone could use some stabbing, and I'm not as accurate with my left hand.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
The question isn't one about being civilized. I doubt that most right-handed people could use their left hand to hold a knife to cut something even if they wanted to.

You completely missed the real knife & fork etiquette controversy, which is whether or not you switch hands after cutting, so that you always eat with the fork in the right hand. And the answer to that question is: Nobody cares any more.

Yes - that's the European vs. American etiquette. However, both methods involve cutting with knife in the right hand. It is shocking to me that my wife (and her entire family) cut with knife in the left hand and insist that is the correct way. We might be getting divorced over this.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I'm a right hander and I prefer the knife in my left hand. No clue what is correct though.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I could see how her behavior might have been born from having been taught "you don't use your left hand to eat with the fork". Tell that to a kid and they may just start cutting with the left hand to avoid the whole switching hands ritual. Whether they're right-handed or left-handed, they'll get very good at it.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i've seen people cut with their right hand, but still use the left hand to feed themselves with the cut food. I prefer that to the pointless hand-switching method after you cut yoru food.

These days, though, I more often eat with my fingers. It's just better that way.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
i've seen people cut with their right hand, but still use the left hand to feed themselves with the cut food. I prefer that to the pointless hand-switching method after you cut yoru food.

These days, though, I more often eat with my fingers. It's just better that way.

Same. Unless I'm in a REALLY nice restaurant, I just pick up the meat and chaw off a hunk. That's why they give you napkins, after all.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Holy shit OP, I think I might be dating your wife.....?! :hmm: I often call my SO a barbarian as well because of all of her barbaric methods for common etiquette.

Right handed American checking in: Cut /w knife in right, fork in left. Once cut, switch to fork in right and chow down.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Meh...I'm 'MURICAN and right handed. I use my right hand for the fork...and when I cut my meat, I use my right hand for the knife and left hand for the fork to hold the meat being cut. THEN I switch back to the fork in the right hand to eat. ( don't want to stab myself in the face with my fork!) :p

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I can. It's not difficult.

BTW-Europeans think we're crazy for switching the knife around to cut and eat.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
People actually switch hands to cut their food? What possible reason could you have for that?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I can. It's not difficult.

BTW-Europeans think we're crazy for switching the knife around to cut and eat.

And we started picking it up after they cried foul that we did NOT do that whereas they did.

They switched just to piss us off and have a chance to continue poking fun at the offspring of their failed empire. :biggrin: It makes them fill better.

That said, I have heard repeatedly that it doesn't matter which is your dominant hand, proper etiquette is to always cut with right and use fork in left. The switching will continue to go in and out of fashion depending on where you are, but the proper hands have always remained the same.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
1. For a multi-course meal with the silverware set at the beginning (as opposed to bringing out new utensils with each course) you generally use the utensils from the outside in and their placement on the table dictates which hand you use. Forks are placed to the left of the charger or plate and should be used with the left hand, knives and spoons to and with the right.
2. Due to #1 hand switching is generally improper but I tend to believe that social circumstances do play a role. For example if you are attending a very social meal where there is robust conversation then a hand switch will probably work as speaking with utensils in your hand(s) is considered poor form. You can cut, lay them down and converse, sneak a bite with a fork switched to the right hand, then lay it down to resume conversation. In a more formal dinner where conversation is restrained then the swap should not be attempted.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'd be happy to see a fork and knife make a come back. It seems that most young people tear their food up with their hands and shovel it down their necks. They should be eating off the floor with the dogs.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
<== right handed

I cut EVERYTHING with the knife in my right. Then drop the fucking knife and eat my meal with the fork in my right without needing the knife anymore.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006

I think I made it pretty clear in the OP that the poll was only for right-handed people. Lefties, Canadians, and Californians are only going to skew the results because they all share the common trait of being untrustworthy.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
<== right handed

I cut EVERYTHING with the knife in my right. Then drop the fucking knife and eat my meal with the fork in my right without needing the knife anymore.

IMO, this is also barbaric. Cut as you eat, heathen!