Ford Maverick

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I think it may do well. Seems to me like a good combo of utility, fuel economy, and price. I guess the old 'Courier' name wasn't exciting enough to bring back. Unfortunately the name 'Maverick' brings a completely different image to my mind, though their target audience largely won't make that connection.

Reactions: Meghan54

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The blue interior took me back to my 85 tempo.
I could never buy a Maverick in blue

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'm not really a Ford person, but I'd seriously consider buying one.

Of course, when they finally arrive, I'll bet that you won't actually be able to find one anywhere that is close to $20,000.....

Reactions: Pohemi

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Specs are fantastic:

* Starting MSRP $19,995 (probably $1k extra in destination etc. charges) - $5k cheaper than the nearest option (2WD Tacoma without rear seats)
* Top-end model is $35k. Note that the compact(ish) Honda Ridgeline v2 starts at $36k base, not a completely direct competitor but in the same size area (vs. say an F-250)
* LED headlights standard
* Automatic high beams standard*

* Hybrid engine standard (40mpg) & optional 2.0L Ecoboost gas engine
* 1,500-pound payload capacity (37 bags of 40-pound mulch)
* Hybrid can tow 2,000 pounds
* 250hp turbocharged 4-cylinder Ecoboost ICE can tow 4,000 pounds (typical 23-foot camper)
* 4.5-foot Flexbed
* Seats 5 adults

* Cabin & bed both have a 110V 400W outlet
* 8" standard touchscreen with Apple Carplay & Android Auto
* FordPass Connect (app for remote start, lock, unlock, etc. with optional paid Wi-Fi hotspot)
* Support for custom 3D-printed parts using the FIT system

This looks SUPER dope! I'm interested in a winter car after I pay off my Mustang in about 2 years, which is around when the Cybertruck should be available. I'm also interested in the new Bronco & the Maverick now, which are also due out this year & next year. But, as I learned from my Jeep Renegade, never buy first-generation hardware! So by the time my car is paid off I should have several second-year production options available.

1623164014057.png

1623163915575.png

1623163944382.png

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm not really a Ford person, but I'd seriously consider buying one.

Of course, when they finally arrive, I'll bet that you won't actually be able to find one anywhere that is close to $20,000.....

You're not alone:

Looks like they're going to aim for 110k a year & will be using it to replace their retired sedan cars:

Suppliers have been told to prepare for annual volumes of 110,000, according to a person with knowledge of the plans. Production is expected to begin in late July, and the truck is expected to go on sale later this year.

Ford has told dealers that the truck will start at less than $20,000, effectively serving as an entry-level replacement for the company’s discontinued sedans.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
"You can copy my homework, but change it up a little bit so it's not obvious you copied"

Maverick:

1623164151182.png

Rivian:

1623164191589.png

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
"You can copy my homework, but change it up a little bit so it's not obvious you copied"

Maverick:

View attachment 45462

Rivian:

View attachment 45463

Yeah, they are both Unibody PU trucks. Here is another...
2019-Honda-Ridgeline-passenger-side-profile-on-beach_o.jpg

PU trucks tend to look like PU trucks.

Reactions: repoman0

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Wow they are amazingly prepared with options & accessories:

1623166285595.png

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I would love to see a modern cabover pickup with a longer bed, and more interior space.
Though the door over the wheel might make it difficult for people to climb in and out ...
but, if you eliminated the hood, you more or less could put an 8 foot bed, and even have room for 3 rows of seats (or, 2 very roomy rows)

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I would love to see a modern cabover pickup with a longer bed, and more interior space.
Though the door over the wheel might make it difficult for people to climb in and out ...
but, if you eliminated the hood, you more or less could put an 8 foot bed, and even have room for 3 rows of seats (or, 2 very roomy rows)

I think more attention to crumple zones killed off that kind of design.

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
I've been considering getting a Bronco in a couple years once the initial demand dies down. I'd much rather get this, if they would only put a manual in it :mad:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I've been considering getting a Bronco in a couple years once the initial demand dies down. I'd much rather get this, if they would only put a manual in it :mad:

You may as well say, if they would only build convertible version (Skip the Dakota Ragtop images - that won't happen here).

What you see is what you get.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I know I will be in the minority with this but I don't understand why you would want a truck with such a sort bed. Subtract some doors and seats and extend the bed, then you would have something.

With the Maverick, Ridgeline and Santa Cruz, we have trucks where most of the buyers would probably be better served by an SUV but, for whatever reason, those buyers hate SUVs so they are desperate for something they can buy and call a truck. I have no doubt these new entries to the "trucks for people that don't need trucks" club will probably both sell reasonably well.

-KeithP

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I know I will be in the minority with this but I don't understand why you would want a truck with such a sort bed. Subtract some doors and seats and extend the bed, then you would have something.

With the Maverick, Ridgeline and Santa Cruz, we have trucks where most of the buyers would probably be better served by an SUV but, for whatever reason, those buyers hate SUVs so they are desperate for something they can buy and call a truck. I have no doubt these new entries to the "trucks for people that don't need trucks" club will probably both sell reasonably well.

-KeithP

I think most modern truck sales are just SUV alternative people haulers, hence the rise of the big double cab and small box. I have noticed that these are plentiful around my neighborhood.

I also notice that contractors are still using single cab, longer box models.

The space gets dedicated to the task most needed.

This truck is FAR skewed to the people hauler category.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Pohemi

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

-KeithP
Problem with most small SUVs\CUV's is the damn roof cockblocking tall bulky items in the back.
What is the market for a 2 seat pickup? Get rid of the back seats and you have to deal with producing a body style that not only pleases IIHS but also has a miniscule market.
Might as well sell it with a manual transmission.

This kinda reminds me of the old Explorer Sport Trac, which I knew some owners loved even with its tiny little 4ft bed.

The Mavericks bed is 4.5 gate up and 6ft gate down and apparently they put a decent amount of work into it. If real estate\parking space is at a premium and you need a small pickup, this seems like a legit option.

This is like a modern Ford Sport Trac, except with a bigger, more flexible bed and twice the MPG.
Unfortunately, the interior is like a modern ford Tempo so I'm out