Forbes: 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition' On PC Is A Disaster For AMD Radeon Gamers

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
This is visual issues caused by HBAO+ to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrI5KPXHkjo

This is the visual corruption, disabling AO fixes the visual corruption not the Stuttering.

yuck.png

And this is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LpLwPfbbw

Good_fella

Feb 12, 2015
@Good_fella

Not according to me, according to the devs. If you have issue with that, take it up with their official forum.

In the meantime, stop pretending to know more than the makers of the game.

Why you don't fallow your own advice since you blaming Nvidia for everything?

What you posted just makes Nvidia look bad since Dragon Age 2 wasn't even in the AMD Gaming Evolved program so bad comparison on your part ...

Nvidia must like having these sorts of non-standard behaviour especially in OpenGL cause the some of the AMD's issues are actually Nvidia's ... ;)

dragonage2.jpg

This is the visual corruption, disabling AO fixes the visual corruption not the Stuttering.

yuck.png

And this is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LpLwPfbbw

Looks like drivers problem since other games with HBOA+ don't have those artifacts.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Looks like drivers problem since other games with HBOA+ don't have those artifacts.

There is something wrong some where, and I doubt it's solely the HBAO+ implementation. Otherwise, we would have seen that on various other games.

This launch has been terrible and I'm glad I didn't drop a dime on it.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
There is something wrong some where, and I doubt it's solely the HBAO+ implementation. Otherwise, we would have seen that on various other games.

This launch has been terrible and I'm glad I didn't drop a dime on it.

It still doesn't change the fact that when you add Nvidia Gameworks to a game, something goes wrong.

Look, I'm sure it isn't HBAO+ directly, because we've seen it in other games.

Look at the big releases that just dropped Gameworks. Less issues at launch.

Whether you like it or not, Nvidia Gameworks is associated with poorly performing games and massive issues.

If Nvidia doesn't want this association, they should work closer with devs when implementing their proprietary features. Otherwise, people will CONTINUE to associate Gameworks with poorly performing games, and rightfully so.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It still doesn't change the fact that when you add Nvidia Gameworks to a game, something goes wrong.

Whether you like it or not, Nvidia Gameworks is associated with poorly performing games and massive issues.

If Nvidia doesn't want this association, they should work closer with devs when implementing their proprietary features. Otherwise, people will CONTINUE to associate Gameworks with poorly performing games, and rightfully so.

How is Far Cry Primal again? Unplayable and bugged to hell for half the users. And they stopped using gameworks as far as I know. And this title its one feature you can disable.

I would like to see your statistics for broken/working gameworks titles vs broken/working non gameworks titles.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
How is Far Cry Primal again? Unplayable and bugged to hell for half the users. And they stopped using gameworks as far as I know.

I would like to see your statistics for broken/working gameworks titles vs broken/working non gameworks titles.
why don't you provide the statistics for "half" of the far cry primal players having problems?

don't play that game, cause all of us can play that game. :thumbsdown:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
why don't you provide the statistics for "half" of the far cry primal players having problems?

don't play that game, cause all of us can play that game. :thumbsdown:

You can take a look on the Steam review and steam forums. But it goes against the mentality of just blindly blaming gameworks doesn't it? Even GoW got blamed for that, despite its 1 single feature you can turn off.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

Again, i'm not even defending Gameworks, this game is bugged beyond just the HBAO+ implementation.

You got locked FPS, Windws Update issues, no SLI/CFX support from the get go, if ever, it is touted as an example of the new invigorated Windows Gaming initiative, and is leaving a sour taste in my mouth beyond NV money bagging it.

You have users who can't even get online to authenticate the game basically making it a digital paper weight. I care less about the Gameworks/Borked HBAO+ issue right now as I genuinely was looking forward to this game.

And I doubt Gameworks/HBAO+ is the cause of the other issues.

Nvidia is definitely adding something to the sauce. I personally don't play all the must have games. The ones I do, which have a Gameworks sticker, have had zero issues. The NV additions have actually been well received by the communities that play these games.

What association? In another thread you cite NeoGaf as some kind of mainstream switch for AMD pros, but even the thread at Gaf about marketshare was dripping with pro-NV rhetoric. AMD is still a laughing stock and when a game like this one associated with the DX12 revolution, that precious Async Compute AMD harps on, crashes and burns - it isn't NV with a bruised eye.

Just take a gander:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1192630

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Techland has added PCSS to Dying Light and it runs without problems. Game looks even better than FarCry Primal while performing "twice as good" on nVidia.

Console/amd optimized games are just unoptimized mess for PC gamers. Hitman is just the best example of it. Even Gear of Wars doesnt look worse and this game is 10 years old...

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
http://subscriptions.amd.com/newsletters/amdgame/images/5/march/dragonage2.jpg[/IMG]

Where exactly did you find that image ?

Even if Bioware did partner up with AMD that still doesn't explain why Nvidia is struggling with pure HLSL whereas HBAO+ is using NVAPI features to bypass the D3D compiler ...

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Seems he found it on amd.com, since that's the url.

The excuses continue it seems. Only gameworks can be wrong, even if no gameworks is to be found.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
What association? In another thread you cite NeoGaf as some kind of mainstream switch for AMD pros, but even the thread at Gaf about marketshare was dripping with pro-NV rhetoric. AMD is still a laughing stock and when a game like this one associated with the DX12 revolution, that precious Async Compute AMD harps on, crashes and burns - it isn't NV with a bruised eye.

Just take a gander:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1192630

Uh, that has nothing to do with the fact that my point is that Gameworks will continue to get a more and more tarnished reputation.

If you would like to talk about neogaf and the mainstream, then that's for another thread, although you've completely misquoted and misrepresented what my views are on that so thanks.

That's why we directly quote people.

Seems he found it on amd.com, since that's the url.

The excuses continue it seems. Only gameworks can be wrong, even if no gameworks is to be found.

Don't be so upset that yes, Gameworks does have its issues. However this game CLEARLY has issues and Gameworks doesn't cause them.

The simple fact is, Gameworks continues to associate itself with poor quality releases. Nvidia should either work more closely with companies when implementing Gameworks, or pull Gameworks licenses from poorly performing titles before release if it is not up to Nvidia's quality standard.

Last edited:

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
You can take a look on the Steam review and steam forums. But it goes against the mentality of just blindly blaming gameworks doesn't it? Even GoW got blamed for that, despite its 1 single feature you can turn off.
you gave a broad sweeping estimate of your own and then turn around asked for the other party to provide statistics. D:

and you don't see what is wrong with it? :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Uh, that has nothing to do with the fact that my point is that Gameworks will continue to get a more and more tarnished reputation.

I posted the Gaf thread to counter this. If you actual browsed it, again it isn't Gameworks/NV catching the flack.

Does Gameworks have a tarnished reputation? Around here of course it does. Outside of here, I don't see it getting lambasted as much. Do you want another GAF thread as an example?

If you would like to talk about neogaf and the mainstream, then that's for another thread, although you've completely misquoted and misrepresented what my views are on that so thanks.

That's why we directly quote people.

I read that post a while ago, and I wanted to respond (because it went against what I've been experiencing specifically at NeoGAF where AMD is still basically a red-headed step child), but I was busy and never got around to it.

This forum is rather small (well this subset) and I wouldn't say Gameworks has a tarnished reputation. Far from it. If that were remotely true, these Gameworks games wouldn't be selling, NV wouldn't be reporting revenue records, and AMD wouldn't be struggling.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
this forum may be small, but some posters here are super, super knowledgeable on the tech. it is the reason why I read this tech forum. most forums are like tom or linus forums, I don't want to state what they are for fear of mods.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
this forum may be small, but some posters here are super, super knowledgeable on the tech. it is the reason why I read this tech forum. most forums are like tom or linus forums, I don't want to state what they are for fear of mods.

I have no issues coming here, it's perhaps the best tech forum I frequent. My comment about size was more so about reputation.

Gameworks here is hated, and I can understand why. But that doesn't translate to what more mainstream forums opine. And yes, before it gets thrown out there "people are sheep."

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I posted the Gaf thread to counter this. If you actual browsed it, again it isn't Gameworks/NV catching the flack.

Does Gameworks have a tarnished reputation? Around here of course it does. Outside of here, I don't see it getting lambasted as much. Do you want another GAF thread as an example?

I read that post a while ago, and I wanted to respond (because it went against what I've been experiencing specifically at NeoGAF where AMD is still basically a red-headed step child), but I was busy and never got around to it.

This forum is rather small (well this subset) and I wouldn't say Gameworks has a tarnished reputation. Far from it. If that were remotely true, these Gameworks games wouldn't be selling, NV wouldn't be reporting revenue records, and AMD wouldn't be struggling.

Tarnishing your reputation and having a tarnished reputation are 2 vastly different things.
Gameworks will continue to have people say bad things about it.
Obviously Nvidia as a whole as well as gameworks does well in the mainstream or it wouldn't be where it is today.

If you would like to address my claims on AMD and Neogaf from another thread, please find that post, and go to that thread and address it there. That's no on topic here.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Don't be so upset that yes, Gameworks does have its issues. However this game CLEARLY has issues and Gameworks doesn't cause them.

The simple fact is, Gameworks continues to associate itself with poor quality releases. Nvidia should either work more closely with companies when implementing Gameworks, or pull Gameworks licenses from poorly performing titles before release if it is not up to Nvidia's quality standard.

Oh I am not upset at all :)

However look at this forums, some other of these tech forums as well. They simply dont mimmick reality. And they tend to not even do what they claim themselves. And its no secret this forum got a very strong AMD presence that hate Gameworks like no other.

if this forum was any indication in terms of posts, the Nano, 200 and 300 series should be the best selling in the world. Nano/Fury and 300 series cant be found on steam yet due to too low numbers. Nano can barely even be found on this forum.

So you see, its worlds apart. And its not because people are sheeps or blind to marketing.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
every forum has got to have some fud :) some of the mud slinging is done pretty brilliantly, especially the green kind. :D the red side needs to learn :cool: see, that is how u get around the rules. :thumbsup:

Feb 25, 2011
...Forbes?

I tend to believe them when they talk about, like, business and finance, but when did they start covering PC gaming?

littleg

Jul 9, 2015
Did you not read that piece on consolidating derivative investment structures on Guru3d?

Status
Not open for further replies.