For those who think a low carb diet will raise your cholesterol

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
My ratio of total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol went from 6.0 to 2.9 (5.0 is average risk for developing coronary heart disease).

Cholesterol Numbers

Basically, what Atkins predicted actually happened.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
OH boy another Atkins thread!
rolleye.gif

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Spencer278
So it did raise youir cholesterol?

No. I went from a total of 240 to 218. Morse importantly, my HDL went from 39 to 76. >40 is desireable.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
low carbs != high cholesterol. high fat = hiugh cholesterol. The problem with many people is they think that since they aren't eating carbs, they can eat anything, and load up on sausage, eggs, bacon and stuff like that. As long as you still eat healthy while limiting your carbs, of course you're going to become healthier.

Now play some Heart and Soul on the piano while chowing down on Quaker Oats.

ExplodingBoy

Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SWScorch
low carbs != high cholesterol. high fat = hiugh cholesterol. The problem with many people is they think that since they aren't eating carbs, they can eat anything, and load up on sausage, eggs, bacon and stuff like that. As long as you still eat healthy while limiting your carbs, of course you're going to become healthier.

Actually SWScorch, there is no scientific evidence to support your statement that high fat diets lead to high cholesterol, whereas there are many documented studies that show the opposite; e.g. high fat diets do NOT lead to high cholesterol.

But to those of you who think locarbing is the magic bullet for everything, there is also mounting evidence that the diet is un-sustainable over time for most people. As well, there is a great deal of evidence that diet modifications are one of the worst ways to control high cholesterol, and that medication always seems to result in the most drops.

Also if you do locarb (and by association eat high protein diet) you would be wise to talk it over with your doctor and get your kidneys monitored periodically. High protein diets can be hard on the kidneys.

So YMMV.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I've been doing it for 11 months and have ahd no problem sticking with it. I have no interest nor desire in going back to my old eating habits.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Thanks! My results have exceeded my expectations.

Hopefully I'll be around long enough to enjoy grandkids!

gururu

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Nice job. Good to be healthy. We are taught in the sciences that dietary cholesterol has little impact on body levels (Atkins didn't invent the concept). The problem is indeed when other dietary sources push the body metabolism towards fat storage and glycogen synthesis. The one thing that is not clear yet, is whether low carb/hi cholesterol diets take their toll.