For those who love the Nostromo n52 as I do

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeoffCapes

Jul 18, 2007
This makes me happy. It'll probably get released when I finally get my "upgrade" to 8meg ADSL that I should have been getting for the last 12 months.

And then?

Then I will unleash some serious pain across the...oh who am i kidding? :D

LifeStealer

Sep 22, 2004
The good thing about the n52 is they are not normal keyboard keys like for example the G15. All of its macro keys are regular keyboard keys. Certain games don't allow the G15 to be used because of that.

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
okay little update this week...Belkin Europe has asked to release the beta to our websites ... we havent heard anything as per yet but hope to get something as soon as.... just keep an eye to the www.belkin.com/uk/support website hopefully next week it will be there.

LifeStealer

Sep 22, 2004
Are they planning to continue the N5x line? They have always sold well, I tell everyone I meet to buy one so.. Would like to see a new rev Q_Q

Sideswipeitman

Jun 8, 2007
Originally posted by: docdutch
okay little update this week...Belkin Europe has asked to release the beta to our websites ... we havent heard anything as per yet but hope to get something as soon as.... just keep an eye to the www.belkin.com/uk/support website hopefully next week it will be there.

Is it digitally signed? I'm getting sick of having to hit F8 every time I boot so Vista won't choke on it.

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
Originally posted by: LifeStealer
Are they planning to continue the N5x line? They have always sold well, I tell everyone I meet to buy one so.. Would like to see a new rev Q_Q

had a pre production sample in my hand last week.....and it looks wayyy better then the current N52 ;)

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
Originally posted by: Sideswipeitman

Is it digitally signed? I'm getting sick of having to hit F8 every time I boot so Vista won't choke on it.

yeps it is :) didnt have problems on my Vista 32bit and neither on 64 :) :D no digital signed malarky all done :D

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
Would someone please post this damn driver somewhere? This is annoying beyond belief.

Taldren

Sep 2, 2007
had a pre production sample in my hand last week.....and it looks wayyy better then the current N52
I hope it is Black/Silver to match the rest of my PC ;)

The only issue I had with the 52 were:
1) It seems to be preset for a small hand. The jump key seems far to close to the base for my thumb.
2) The buttons took a long time to "loosen up"
3) The macro system's timing was way off. I would tell it to wait x seconds to do something and it wouldn't even be close to that amount of time in application.

But most of all I hope Belkin doesn't stop supporting it like they did with the n50/52. :(

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
Taldren, the new unit is black with blue backlighting ;) the buttons are lower down and less tight so yes. dont know much bout the macro system other then its going to have the same as the current N50/52 software.

Also the N50/52s are still supported Belkin has just been a bit slow in driver development.

Nnyan, I hope that the drivers are released to the uk website this week, as soon as they are I'll post a linkie to them.

GeoffCapes

Jul 18, 2007
Woo this is ace news. I will happily shell out on the new model if it's as good as you say (and you can tell Belkin that). My old n52 can go into my studio and I'll map it to my sequencer :) Either that or do some serious work on growing an extra left hand and have them both running simultaneously on my gaming rig.

LifeStealer

Sep 22, 2004
Thank God a new nostromo is coming out. Don't get me wrong I am by no means in love with Belkin but I love the nostromo.

Taldren

Sep 2, 2007
Taldren, the new unit is black with blue backlighting

Nice, then it will match my G15 keyboard and system lighting!

Wait .... STOP ANSWERING ME AND GET BACK TO GETTING THAT DRIVER OUT!

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
Taldren, I'm trying mate am honestly trying but we need to get permission from our headoffice before we can put it on the website.

Soz mate I know people are dying to get their hands on the driver.

Taldren

Sep 2, 2007
Had to uninstall 2 more Updates for Vista 64.

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938194)
Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938979)

Both of these in addition to the one mentioned earlier break the XP 64 drivers for the n52. Have them hidden for now till the new drivers hit the site.

trumpdabeast

Sep 5, 2007
Hey guys. Just joined. Words can't express how helpful this thread has been to me. I just might die if I had to use my G15 to game... it's not natural after using the N52 for so long... a keyboard feels like playing with a handicap.

I wanted to thank the guy who posted the original Windows Update that borked the N52, and Taldren for the two above that just borked my N52. Funny how the "compatibility" patches are the ones making it not work.

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
guys, still not allowed to release it but if you email belkin UK via the following link we might be able to send you a link to where you can download the beta from.

http://www.belkin.com/contact/select.aspx

make sure you select UK and that it is for the N50/N52 in the email for Vista 64bit ;)

thats all the help at the moment I can give ;)

Sideswipeitman

Jun 8, 2007
guys, still not allowed to release it but if you email belkin UK via the following link we might be able to send you a link to where you can download the beta from.

http://www.belkin.com/contact/select.aspx

make sure you select UK and that it is for the N50/N52 in the email for Vista 64bit ;)

thats all the help at the moment I can give ;)

That exact link doesn't seem to work...

docdutch

Jul 12, 2007
I've seen some of you have been busy writing emails ;)

as I'm not at work till monday you'll have replies then :)

Tylerdurdon

Aug 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Taldren
Had to uninstall 2 more Updates for Vista 64.

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938194)
Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB938979)

Both of these in addition to the one mentioned earlier break the XP 64 drivers for the n52. Have them hidden for now till the new drivers hit the site.

Actually, the KB938194 doesn't hose up the Nostromo, but the 938979 definitely does. I had to uninstall it and forgot to write an update over here, sorry.

Originally posted by: trumpdabeast
Hey guys. Just joined. Words can't express how helpful this thread has been to me. I just might die if I had to use my G15 to game... it's not natural after using the N52 for so long... a keyboard feels like playing with a handicap.

I wanted to thank the guy who posted the original Windows Update that borked the N52, and Taldren for the two above that just borked my N52. Funny how the "compatibility" patches are the ones making it not work.

Sure thing on that first update, I like spreading knowledge when I can

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I played with an N52 at Best Buy the other day. The D pad had no tactile feedback (like one of those cheap knockoff SNES pads) and felt useless. A stick might be more useful in that position. And the keys were too stiff and at the same time mushy. How do you guys use these things?