For those who have played / beat Fallout 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Skyrim- the crypt on edge of town (with glowing guy, by path up mountian).. pick up EVERYTHING and sell in town, raise your barter skill quickly

That is the hard way. Skyrim's barter raises based on the value of the item being sold. The easiest way to max your barter is also the same way you max your armor/weapons, with the added step that you simply sell a couple, instant 100 barter when you sell a bow that does 1,000,000+ damage...

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Damn it, all this talk and i know what I will playing tonight.. its frigging SUMMER i cant sit inside playing hours of Fallout again. And I even have a reason.. I won the game before the exp packs.. and I bought um all and haven't played um.. LIBERTY PRIME wet my appetite.. i need to know more..

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
That is the hard way. Skyrim's barter raises based on the value of the item being sold. The easiest way to max your barter is also the same way you max your armor/weapons, with the added step that you simply sell a couple, instant 100 barter when you sell a bow that does 1,000,000+ damage...

but I wont have those items right away (will I? i don't know how) I was looking more at a cheat that's not a cheat.. and i guess yours inst either. I never did (much) of the stacking enchant bonus, potion bonus stuff,so i had the huge bonus most use.. making the game god mode is not my idea of fun (the first time through) and i understand if the game allows it part of game.. And there are some time I hit Draugr Death Overlord i wished for more firepower.. and less on shot deaths...

man.. now i want to replay this too.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Can anyone point me towards storing items? I'm constantly getting full now but don't want to sell everything. Mainly I have weapons that are taking up a ton of weight, but they seem really useful... should I just use them up and sell or are they worth holding on to?

I'm hooked now, I could play this damn game all day.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Can anyone point me towards storing items? I'm constantly getting full now but don't want to sell everything. Mainly I have weapons that are taking up a ton of weight, but they seem really useful... should I just use them up and sell or are they worth holding on to?

I'm hooked now, I could play this damn game all day.

Well, look at the weapon type and if they don't match the one you're skilling up, drop them. Once you get the Lincoln Repeater, all other weapons are insignificant. >_>

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Well, look at the weapon type and if they don't match the one you're skilling up, drop them. Once you get the Lincoln Repeater, all other weapons are insignificant. >_>

I've been skilling up all types as they seemed useful.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I've been skilling up all types as they seemed useful.

You will end up mediocre in all aspects of weaponry then. I guess if you're not playing at a higher difficulty, this won't matter much. But if you switch into hard, skill points tend to matter more.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
You will end up mediocre in all aspects of weaponry then. I guess if you're not playing at a higher difficulty, this won't matter much. But if you switch into hard, skill points tend to matter more.

Yeah part of why I pick very easy, choices won't hurt me as much and I can just do what I want.

splat_ed

Mar 12, 2010
As your radiation goes up you eventually get stat penalties that stick around until you remove the rads. If you hit 1000 you die. Rads dont go away naturally unless you pick the perk which does just that.
Most stat penalties are physical, draining endurance lowers max HP, etc. Eventually when you get way up there I think your perception and intelligence suffer.

There is one perk that lets you ignore the first level of radiation. You have the points but no bad effects. This means you dont have to keep using rad away to keep it down. With most dungeons/Vaults, you can just wait until you get back to a town and have the Doctor heal your rads.

Also theres perks which give you bonuses as rads go up, but you need to balance those with the penalties which are also accumulating.

The big one to avoid is the area filled with super mutants outside the main door to vault 87. It shoots up to like 500 rads per second as you get closer, and even with RadX and a rad suit you wont be able to survive that long enough to get to the door.
You have to go in the back door through Little Lamplight.

New Vegas doesnt have any areas with Super Mega radiation as I recall.

Also, there is a quest where you have to get to a certain radiation level. IIRC it's from Moira at the Scrapheap? It's a set of survival quests. Her responses are a giggle... "Here's a little something to say thanks for letting me play with you DNA like a kitten plays with yarn"!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Also, there is a quest where you have to get to a certain radiation level. IIRC it's from Moira at the Scrapheap? It's a set of survival quests. Her responses are a giggle... "Here's a little something to say thanks for letting me play with you DNA like a kitten plays with yarn"!

I did this quest, god is she annoying. But yeah, the bonus is my limbs repair while radiated at a certain level.

Anyway, I finally got a house so storage is no longer an issue. I must have played that game for like 5-6 hours yesterday. I haven't done that in months for one game. It may have even been more time, I don't recall (the game was on for probably 10 hours but I wasn't always at my computer / able to play). But I kept wanting to play which is very rare these days.

I have a feeling I'll be picking up NV next sale and now I'll have an appreciation for Oblivion / Skyrim when they go on sale (aren't they similar gameplay?)...

I tried Oblivion when it first came out but I gave up quick on it (pretty sure I bought it two separate times too lol), but if this is what it turns into, I'm down!

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I collected everything and threw it on the ground in my house, it's hilarious the clanking noises as I walk around the piles of trash.

I also threw thousands of Nuka Cola bottles in the puddle around the bomb in megaton.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I always felt the radiation was more for atmosphere than anything else. There are very few places that divy out enough of it to actual cause you any real harm, and theres plenty of ways to keep it down.

If you dont pay attention to it, rads can build and cause problems.
I think thats why they added dehydration and starvation to New Vegas, more challenges to worry about.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah part of why I pick very easy, choices won't hurt me as much and I can just do what I want.

Depending on how challenging a game experience I want, I will either max out one weapon skill right away, or let my skills slowly work up. Your ability to do damage is the main factor in how tough Fallout 3 is. Even more important than the difficulty setting.
For hardcore folks we max all the utility skills first and slowly level up weapons towards the end.

As a rule I give myself an INT of 9 and then immediately dig up the INT bobblehead. I also add the skill bonus perks as soon as able. That gives me a powerful character towards the middle levels, regardless of what skills I use.

A good self-challenge is INT of 1 and never dig up any bobble heads.

Oh, and if you plan on doing the Mothership Zeta add on, make sure you have a very high skill in Energy. Their weapons are the best to use against them, but only if your skill is high.

If you plan on doing Anchorage, make sure you have a strong Small Guns.

The Pitt is easiest with Melee.

Broken Steele doesnt matter.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I hate the fact that you can pick up just about everything. This makes me wonder WTH do I pick up, so I just pick up everything. Can you tell me now what I should be looking to grab? I hate when a game gives you options and I don't know how to pick the best one (or have any knowledge on how my choices affect me).

But I've heard great things about this game so giving it a go...

This is the same reason I quit playing Morrowind.

You are thinking about it too much. Yes it is true that just about anything you pick up can be crafted into something else, but this is less true in Fallout 3 and more relevant in New Vegas and subsequent expansions where virtually anything can be used.

What you have to remember though, is you don't have to pick up anything other than armor, weapons and other such necessary stuff. Things like belts, cups, plates, cans, cherry bombs, lunchboxes, bulbs, etc, you can ignore and just make a mental note where they were in case u want to build something later. That, or you can be a master OCD hoarder like me and pick up just about everything and keep separate lockers for all your clothing, weapons, crafting materials, food, etc with everything neatly organized and sorted.

But lets be realistic. There is no one else out there as sick as I am. Is there? ;)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
You are thinking about it too much. Yes it is true that just about anything you pick up can be crafted into something else, but this is less true in Fallout 3 and more relevant in New Vegas and subsequent expansions where virtually anything can be used.

What you have to remember though, is you don't have to pick up anything other than armor, weapons and other such necessary stuff. Things like belts, cups, plates, cans, cherry bombs, lunchboxes, bulbs, etc, you can ignore and just make a mental note where they were in case u want to build something later. That, or you can be a master OCD hoarder like me and pick up just about everything and keep separate lockers for all your clothing, weapons, crafting materials, food, etc with everything neatly organized and sorted.

But lets be realistic. There is no one else out there as sick as I am. Is there? ;)
Well, unless you make the trash shooting gun. Then everything you pick up becomes ammo!

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
If you dont pay attention to it, rads can build and cause problems.
I think thats why they added dehydration and starvation to New Vegas, more challenges to worry about.

Yes it can all be quite deadly if you don't pay attention, but its simply too obvious and not a challenge to deal with. I played FO:NV in hardcore mode all the way through and found radiation/dehydration/hunger nothing more than a slight annoyance. Theres so much food/water/rad-away just laying around everywhere that I almost never ran into any issues (occasionally I would run out of clean water to drink because I often had to use my water for healing, but it never even came close to becoming deadly). The only real challenge to hardcore mode is the limited ammo you can carry and the lack of instant healing.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, unless you make the trash shooting gun. Then everything you pick up becomes ammo!

Yeah but then your weight fluctuates too much as you gain and lose ammo. Almost everything you shoot weighs one pound. Ammo for guns weighs nothing.

Oh

FOR ALL YOU GUYS WHINING ABOUT AMMO:

When you go to the Pitt there is a machine that can change your ammo for you.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Depending on how challenging a game experience I want, I will either max out one weapon skill right away, or let my skills slowly work up. Your ability to do damage is the main factor in how tough Fallout 3 is. Even more important than the difficulty setting.
For hardcore folks we max all the utility skills first and slowly level up weapons towards the end.

As a rule I give myself an INT of 9 and then immediately dig up the INT bobblehead. I also add the skill bonus perks as soon as able. That gives me a powerful character towards the middle levels, regardless of what skills I use.

A good self-challenge is INT of 1 and never dig up any bobble heads.

Oh, and if you plan on doing the Mothership Zeta add on, make sure you have a very high skill in Energy. Their weapons are the best to use against them, but only if your skill is high.

If you plan on doing Anchorage, make sure you have a strong Small Guns.

The Pitt is easiest with Melee.

Broken Steele doesnt matter.

So maxing out a weapon is the faster option? I've been pumping into small guns, I like the rifles / shotguns.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
So maxing out a weapon is the faster option? I've been pumping into small guns, I like the rifles / shotguns.

Yes, I usually do small guns first then energy weapons later on. It works much better to put (for example) 30 points into guns now and then 30 into energy weapons later then it does to do both at once.

Mines are handy in a few spots but I usually don't get explosives above 40-50 unless it's through skill books. I find explosives most useful for gathering mines to sell for caps.

Melee is good for conserving ammo early on but I've never used it after that.

Big guns is more for a second playthrough or variety once you have points everywhere else.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My first play through I picked up everything, for awhile. The shopping centre I cleaned right out, lol. On my second play through I didn't bother. Weapons, Armour, and a few other things will make all the Caps you need at the start, once you've played awhile and leveled up a few things Caps are no longer a problem.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I haven't had a problem with caps prob cuz I'm on easy. I have like 3500 with nothing to spend it on so I just repair guns I like.

What level do you reach before the end? I have like 15hrs in now and have a feelin I'm nowhere near done. Wouldn't be a problem if I was single lol.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I grab everything and take it to my Megaton house.

I keep all misc. junk in the first locker, the one closest to the door. I keep all weapons and armor in the 2nd locker, the one closer to the kitchen. I keep all my consumnables in the refrigerator in the kitchen,and I put all my journals in the filing cabinet upstairs.

I have tons of stuff in my Megaton house.

I do the same thing.

Dave

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BEFORE YOU START NEW VEGAS:

Come see me. Theres some nuances you need to be made aware of, as well as some game-breaking bugs.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My first play through I picked up everything, for awhile. The shopping centre I cleaned right out, lol. On my second play through I didn't bother. Weapons, Armour, and a few other things will make all the Caps you need at the start, once you've played awhile and leveled up a few things Caps are no longer a problem.

I dont even buy or sell until I've got Barter way up there. When it gets high I go back and collect all my garbage then sell it to Moira or whomever.