For those who are exempt salary based employees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
one thing i love about my job... salary and still get paid OT...

edit... the one thing that does blow about overtime is that you actually have to show work. we are production based... so i have to do x amount of work each week (if i dont do it... it looks very bad)... thats when i come in and do voluntary overtime (where i don't get paid)...

So if i do plan on working over time... i gotta show x + the extra work which has to be approved. so... in sense... its just doing more work and getting paid the same... we get hour straight hourly pay (that breaken out from our salary) for doing overtime...

i like doing comptime more... thats were you work extra hours and produce work and then roll that into a comptime bank in which you can take random comp days off...

Compudork

Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: vital
I just started a salary based job and since i'm exempt, I don't get paid any overtime no matter how many hours I work over 40/week. I don't mind staying an 1-3 hours/week overtime but I don't understand how some people can justify working over 45-50 hours when they're not even compensated for the overtime? Once the clock hits 5pm, I lose all motivation to do any work whether I still have a lot to do or not... But requiring to stay and finish your work without getting paid OT makes it even worse.

If you agreed to work a salaried position, then do it. If you don't like it, find a new job or get your work done before 5pm. I don't understand where people get this sense of entitlement with employers...

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Compudork
I don't understand where people get this sense of entitlement with employers...

They buy it at the same store where employers get the idea that they can get the same level of commitment from employees whether they treat them fairly or treat them like crap.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i'm salaried and non-exempt..... thanks to some landmark case a long time ago.... yes, i'm in IT... and we have bonus too....

bapace

Jul 7, 2004
A good company will pay all of their workers overtime when worked. I have to work 5+ to get paid, which sounds like a fair enough mark to hit for me.

Hyudra

Jan 16, 2001
i work 50 right now as a temp so i get paid OT, but soon i'll be on salary. They hopefully will be paying me more then.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I'm just glad I have a job, so if work needs to be done after normal business hours, I'll do it.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I am exempt, but the other perks more than make up for extra work. I get comp time sometimes, a higher than normal raise compared to the rest of the company, I can take long lunches if needed, year end bonus, etc.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I am exempt and I try to limit my time to 40 hours but while I have a feeling that I do not owe my company extra time, I do have a characteristic that I want to get things done. I will typically work until I get a good, natural stopping point. I have had some 50 - 60 hour weeks but I prefer to keep it lower. Some of my coworkers will easily put in 60 - 70 hours a week. One guy is a stereotypical overachiever and spends more time doing client chargeable work in a week than I do work occasionally. I don't think I have that sort of mental dedication.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: CompudorkI don't understand where people get this sense of entitlement with employers...

I don't expect and certainly don't recieve anything for working more than 40 hours. I offer up the same in return. :p

You idiots clocking 50 plus hours on salary are the ones clawing your way up a greased pole. You want to talk about entitlement still?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i would just look at my actual hours worked relative to my salary, and decide if that was acceptable compensation. if not, i'd find a new job.

personally, i'm non-exempt, so i don't have that problem.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I'm salaried and work 50+ hours a week, sometimes a lot more. You get used to it. There are perks, if you need to take off for a dentist appt in the middle of the day, just do it. I am not tied down by a clock, even though I work more hours, I have a lot more freedom about how and when I work. If I want to get 9 holes in on a Friday afternoon and leave at 3:00 so be it.

I also get paid a lot more than hourly people I know. The bonuses are 4x bigger, raises are more, and base pay is more.

All in all, I love being salaried. Since I started, I've never filled out one time card. The company knows their getting good value out of me, and I don't mind the work.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: vital
I just started a salary based job and since i'm exempt, I don't get paid any overtime no matter how many hours I work over 40/week. I don't mind staying an 1-3 hours/week overtime but I don't understand how some people can justify working over 45-50 hours when they're not even compensated for the overtime? Once the clock hits 5pm, I lose all motivation to do any work whether I still have a lot to do or not... But requiring to stay and finish your work without getting paid OT makes it even worse.

So how does someone justify working overtime hours for a company and not get paid for it?

I am salaried, but I get "comp time" if I work over the standard 40. So for example, if I have to stay over 3 hours one day, I get to come in late or leave early the next day, OR I save the time up until it equals an entire day and then take a day off, OR I can use it whenever I want.

I actually prefer it this way, because I get a very flexible schedule, which to me is worth alot more than overtime pay. Also, comp time is in addition to vacation, personal, and sick time earned every pay period, so basically I am able to come and go at will as long as I have the time to pay for it.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Yes, it is an normal to want to be paid for all my time I put in at work. If I am at work for 10 hours, I am entitled 10 hours of pay.

Overtime was created to discourage employers from working their employees more than 40 hours a week. However, since wages in country do not increase proportionally to the cost of living. Along with the amount of debt people carry and just fear of losing their job, people are forced into working 50 or more hours a week. People keep accepting these conditions and in the long run they will get worse and worse. 50 hour work weeks are becoming normal (not with me). This is the main reason why more families spend time apart, and just another example of the erosion of our family values and the perpetuation of greed.

This isn?t true for everyone of course. Just my opinion:)

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the flaw in your thinking is that a job must be equal to 40 hours a week. Many salaried jobs require more than that. They agree to pay you to do a job, and in many cases the job requires 45 or 50 hours a week. Sometimes even more. There's no unfairness in it at all - if the job requires 45 or 50 hours a week, it's not as though you're getting screwed out of overtime. That's what the job requires.

Saying a salaried job must only take 40 hours a week is like saying "I'll take that job as a mechanic, but won't put anything back together. I will take things apart but that's it." You can't decide to only do part of the job.

Salaried people DO get paid for all their time, just not in hourly increments. They get paid a certain amount to do a job successfully. If the person can do the job in 30 hours a week, good for them. If it takes 50, not so good for them.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
one thing i love about my job... salary but get paid OT... this is why i am typing from my office today, :)

wtf aren't you monitored? i understand going to ATOT when there's nothing to do. but getting paid OT and surfing ATOT, that's just wrong.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I'm exempt and easily put in 50-60 hours per 5 day week. However, any time I work on weekends I get compensated for. The OT just comes with the job I suppose.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Been doing it for 6yrs while in public accounting.

No complaints as I enjoy my career and do not look at the OT as uncompensated. The firms are teaching me a valuable skill and my resume is constantly being updated, if I only worked 40hr weeks my skill set would be far from where it is today as I have put in over 500 OT hrs in some years. My OT this year is about 200 - 250.

Plus my employers have always given a deent year end bonus.

Although, all my firends think I'm a work-a-holic:(