For those who are exempt salary based employees

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
june i worked 65-75 hours per week
<shrugs>
when there is no work to do, they don't mind me sitting around posting on OT, so i figure when there IS work to do, we get it done
<shrugs>
i got the work-a-holic gene from my dad
<shrugs>
i hope to get a promotion? we'll see, who knows
i do know i have gotten bettter raises and bonuses than my co-workers that rarely work any overtime. i am the "go-to" guy
<shrugs>

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Jadow
I'm salaried and work 50+ hours a week, sometimes a lot more. You get used to it. There are perks, if you need to take off for a dentist appt in the middle of the day, just do it. I am not tied down by a clock, even though I work more hours, I have a lot more freedom about how and when I work. If I want to get 9 holes in on a Friday afternoon and leave at 3:00 so be it.

I also get paid a lot more than hourly people I know. The bonuses are 4x bigger, raises are more, and base pay is more.

All in all, I love being salaried. Since I started, I've never filled out one time card. The company knows their getting good value out of me, and I don't mind the work.

Agreed. In most cases, salaried employees make more than hourly employees, even when you figure in the extra hours and look for the hourly rate.

I'm well compensated for what I do. While I don't go out of my way to work 50-60 hours, there are weeks that end up that way. It's OK. I like my job.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: da loser
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
one thing i love about my job... salary but get paid OT... this is why i am typing from my office today, :)

wtf aren't you monitored? i understand going to ATOT when there's nothing to do. but getting paid OT and surfing ATOT, that's just wrong.

Yeah we are monitored. Plus, today I wasnt getting paid OT. I am actually making up hours for taking this friday off. I don't want to waste a vacation day...

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: kranky
I think the flaw in your thinking is that a job must be equal to 40 hours a week. Many salaried jobs require more than that. They agree to pay you to do a job, and in many cases the job requires 45 or 50 hours a week. Sometimes even more. There's no unfairness in it at all - if the job requires 45 or 50 hours a week, it's not as though you're getting screwed out of overtime. That's what the job requires.

Saying a salaried job must only take 40 hours a week is like saying "I'll take that job as a mechanic, but won't put anything back together. I will take things apart but that's it." You can't decide to only do part of the job.

Salaried people DO get paid for all their time, just not in hourly increments. They get paid a certain amount to do a job successfully. If the person can do the job in 30 hours a week, good for them. If it takes 50, not so good for them.

Now here is a man who knows what he's talking about.:thumbsup:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For most of my life, I wouldn't take a job (or at least keep it long) if it only offered 40 hours. My preference was 50, and I didn't mind working 60 or more. BUT, I am hourly, with great union benefits, so after 8 is time and a hlaf, and after 10 is double...Saturday first 8 is time and a half (usually) and after 8 is double, and all day Sunday is double...hit a couple of jobs where I worked well over 24 hours straight thru, so that is 8 straight, 2 x1.5, and 14 double time hours...
As a business agent for my union, I was salaried, and our expected work week was 7-5 M,T,Th,F, and 7-8pm on Wed. PLUS, if a job was working at night, I'd be expected to visit that a couple times per week, and any political campaigning we were required to participate, but we always got extra vacation time for those days. (not quite comp time, but similar). I worked for several years for an electrical utility, and we had the option to take a certain amount of overtime as comp time...work an hour OT, get 1.5 hrs comp time...that was ok...extra vacation days...